• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Arctic Army without Arctic Boots, only in Canada (From: Brown Boots)

milnews.ca said:
Funny - that's how one civilian stores staffer suggested I deal with socks until one of my bosses "convinced" him maybe more than two pairs might not be all THAT ridiculous to request.

Liners might be in a different category.  I can just imagine end-ex with two weeks worth of moldy, sweaty felt in my ruck.....

Kirkhill said:
Liners might be in a different category.  I can just imagine end-ex with two weeks worth of moldy, sweaty felt in my ruck.....
:nod:  I meant my comment as an example of another "good idea fairy" plan.

Understood.  I meant mine as a humorous response.....  :crybaby:

Well, there is a profit opportunity for the well capitalized and motivated: a mukluk that you can purchase on line or at CANEX or your friendly kit/surplus shop.

Much like Danners, SWAT's or NEO's, real kit a solider can actually use without being hurt/broken by using it, or left in the rather embarrassing position (like I have been repeatedly over the years) of waddling about in the field after the sole came off the issue boot...

AS for the liners, I suspect that there are modern materials out there which can either wick away the moisture (think of Underarmour cothing), or is made out of material that simply won't get moldy (something like fabrics made from basalt. ROXULTM is an example of that sort of material used as insulation; it is also sound retarding and fireproof in that format, and not all that expensive either. This company makes a basalt fabric, for anyone wanting to do the research.

Thucydides said:
Well, there is a profit opportunity for the well capitalized and motivated: a mukluk that you can purchase on line or at CANEX or your friendly kit/surplus shop.

Much like Danners, SWAT's or NEO's, real kit a solider can actually use without being hurt/broken by using it, or left in the rather embarrassing position (like I have been repeatedly over the years) of waddling about in the field after the sole came off the issue boot...

AS for the liners, I suspect that there are modern materials out there which can either wick away the moisture (think of Underarmour cothing), or is made out of material that simply won't get moldy (something like fabrics made from basalt. ROXULTM is an example of that sort of material used as insulation; it is also sound retarding and fireproof in that format, and not all that expensive either. This company makes a basalt fabric, for anyone wanting to do the research.

Thucydides said:

Intuition liners are worn extensively by extremists in extremely cold environments all around the world. And they are made in Canada.

https://intuitionliners.com/

daftandbarmy said:
Intuition liners are worn extensively by extremists in extremely cold environments all around the world. And they are made in Canada.

https://intuitionliners.com/

Halfway there already. If they fit into a pair of NEO's then I think we have the 80% solution....

Thucydides said:
Halfway there already. If they fit into a pair of NEO's then I think we have the 80% solution....

They do.

I take NEOs with me on some of my extended high altitude odysseys and use them around the tent. I just pop them out of my ski/ climbing boots, stick them in the Neos, and Robert's your father's brother.

daftandbarmy said:
They do.

I take NEOs with me on some of my extended high altitude odysseys and use them around the tent. . . .

Sounds just like the purpose of "arctic slippers".  Are they still in the system?

Blackadder1916 said:
Sounds just like the purpose of "arctic slippers".  Are they still in the system?
I think they are gone.  Not many guys seem to remember them any more.

Blackadder1916 said:

Are those the black half-mukluks?  I have a pair of them.

Dimsum said:

I thought that question had been the subject of a previous thread and that I had answered.  It had been, seven years ago, and you were the one who had started the thread.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/71796/post-693037.html#msg693037

Dimsum said:

They are thin (black) rubber, about the same height of ankle boots, that one could slip over their mukluk sock and walk around in.  They are a slipper for wear within the tent/shelter and not meant trudging out into the snow for a long period or march.

On the same note: has anyone actually ever seen anyone wearing a pair of those? I feel I stil have mine in my tickle trunk somewhere.

I had a Tp WO who declared them the most essential piece of kit in Christendom, and woe be unto he that weareth them not in the ten man tent.

Kat Stevens said:
I had a Tp WO who declared them the most essential piece of kit in Christendom, and woe be unto he that weareth them not in the ten man tent.

He was wrong.  I still put the combat scarf near, if not at the top of the list.

Back