• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Arctic Army without Arctic Boots, only in Canada (From: Brown Boots)

dale622

Inactive
Reaction score
ArmyVern said:
I will post up the CFSM ref tomorrow;  a CO has no authority to authorize an LPO for footwear (or any other thing that is system-issued - CANFORGEN a couple years ago on that), but footwear is, and always has been covered in the CFSM - therefore no CO authority is required in the first place.

If it is a sizing issue, Base Supply is obligated to provide to member via custom or LPO. 

They are also obligated to ensure that personnel are provided with footwear by CFSM.  When I was the Sgt IC Clothing Stores, that is exactly the ref that I utilized to LPO footwear for individuals when stockouts occurred and when sizing was an issue. 

"LPO authorized as per CFSM yada yada. National stockout of required size".  They shouldn't need a friggin' CO to "authorize" because they are failing to apply the CFSM.  Are they paranoid these days? Perhaps, but the damn official ref backs them up.  I can tell you what I'd be doing if I were still employed in that world, "Here's the ref, LPO the man some damn footwear already".  ::)

Can we apply this to winter footwear as well? Seeing as the CF thought prudent to throw out our winter boots without having replacements.

ArmyVern said:
And, seriously, is the winter footwear now an issue as well?

I could get a very large list of soldiers that were turned away from being issued mukluks simply because they are all gone. Talking with a supply tech a few months back they were told to dispose of their stock. So to the dumpster they went.

So we are prepping for winter warfare trg and my troops can't get winter gear.

bananaman said:
I could get a very large list of soldiers that were turned away from being issued mukluks simply because they are all gone. Talking with a supply tech a few months back they were told to dispose of their stock. So to the dumpster they went.

They were throwing them out?

Mukluks no longer available to be ordered, so units that need to procure mukluks say, for arctic survival kits on CF aircraft, cannot equip this survival kits with the regulatory (CF Flying Orders, issued by the CDS) mandated gear.  It's not like aircraft have ever gone down in the North and people needed warm survival gear...oh wait...

For some items, the system is clearly no longer responsive.

Regards
G2G

ArmyVern said:

Who is in charge of this organization - it appears no one is.

This speaks volumes of our organization - and they are not good. :facepalm:

Its probably because they don't have a full Colonel running the Mukluk Replacement Project to identify and solve the problem. Better promote someone.

But we can now wear OD fleece toques in garrison and the field.

This only took about 10 years........ :facepalm:

Even close to a year from when I released, the CF still retains the ability to completely dumbfound me with the monty-python-esque behaviour of a minority of quite clearly mentally deficient persons in positions of command.

Sadly it is this minority who frustrate those with the passion and smarts to be excellent soldiers to the point where they release or simply shrug and surrender their wish to make things better to the mindless bureaucracy of the 'borg', the same 'borg' which throws out mukluks at a time when the main geopolitical concern of the government of the day is arctic sovereignty.

And those with that same passion and skill who stay and try to make things better are only more frustrated at every turn by the growing majority of idiots. It's like a reverse darwinism of numbskulls.

The mind boggles.

Towards_the_gap said:
Even close to a year from when I released, the CF still retains the ability to completely dumbfound me with the monty-python-esque behaviour of a minority of quite clearly mentally deficient persons in positions of command.

Sadly it is this minority who frustrate those with the passion and smarts to be excellent soldiers to the point where they release or simply shrug and surrender their wish to make things better to the mindless bureaucracy of the 'borg', the same 'borg' which throws out mukluks at a time when the main geopolitical concern of the government of the day is arctic sovereignty.

And those with that same passion and skill who stay and try to make things better are only more frustrated at every turn by the growing majority of idiots. It's like a reverse darwinism of numbskulls.

The mind boggles.

I couldn't have said that better myself as applied to the Mar Eng trade and the main reason i released 14 months ago.

My BMQ field and range ex were both in the dead cold prairie of Suffield, the wind cuts into you like a thousand little daggers. Wet Weathers didn't even help.

Half of my platoon had to borrow mukluks, Arctic jackets (the old fur lined parkas) from a cadet unit because the supply system is literally shitting the bed in all aspects. The mukluks were returned to the cadets, but with BMQL starting in the next couple weeks, some of those same people will be without proper winter footwear for the last 2-3 months of bitter Alberta winter.

bananaman said:
. Talking with a supply tech a few months back they were told to dispose of their stock. So to the dumpster they went.

I missed this post.  As you are from 1CER I am pretty familar with your support folks.  I am not in clothing but do deal with the disposal of items once they are declared unservicable or surplus (or did until recently).  I can tell you categorically, no one threw out serviceable Mukluks period full stop.  We did remove a bunch that were unserviceable and too worn to be re-issued which is normal practice in clothing. 

bananaman said:

RedcapCrusader said:
Half of my platoon had to borrow mukluks, Arctic jackets (the old fur lined parkas) from a cadet unit because the supply system is literally ******** the bed in all aspects. The mukluks were returned to the cadets, but with BMQL starting in the next couple weeks, some of those same people will be without proper winter footwear for the last 2-3 months of bitter Alberta winter.

Mukluks are being controlled at the Bde and Div level and can't be issued without release.  Clothing stores has no control over that process.

I agree with with many a poster here that procurement system has shit the bed, but the issue lies at the upper end not your local folks.  I also agree with G2G that the supply system itself is totally unwieldy and slow to respond to issues like this.  There has to be a better way.

RedcapCrusader said:
My BMQ field and range ex were both in the dead cold prairie of Suffield, the wind cuts into you like a thousand little daggers. Wet Weathers didn't even help.

Half of my platoon had to borrow mukluks, Arctic jackets (the old fur lined parkas) from a cadet unit because the supply system is literally ******** the bed in all aspects. The mukluks were returned to the cadets, but with BMQL starting in the next couple weeks, some of those same people will be without proper winter footwear for the last 2-3 months of bitter Alberta winter.

Really?  No mukluks?  How is that possible?  And winter jackets?  C'mon, we have enough jackets in the system and throw a civvy down fill under anything we own and  you are good for minus infinity.

The old mukluks were awesome and have been for ever (i'm dating myself with 30 years service and still have them) and can't imagine how we'd want to improve other than make them waterproof.    We've spent the last 10 years in the desert....not like we wore the mukluks out?

devil39 said:
Really?  No mukluks?  How is that possible?  And winter jackets?  C'mon, we have enough jackets in the system and throw a civvy down fill under anything we own and  you are good for minus infinity.

The old mukluks were awesome and have been for ever (i'm dating myself with 30 years service and still have them) and can't imagine how we'd want to improve other than make them waterproof.    We've spent the last 10 years in the desert....not like we wore the mukluks out?

We were given one of two answers: "We can no longer issue them" (mukluks) or "There isn't any stock right now. You'll get it when you get it" (IECS Parka and pants)

RedcapCrusader said:
We were given one of two answers: "We can no longer issue them" (mukluks) or "There isn't any stock right now. You'll get it when you get it" (IECS Parka and pants)

Well they were probably right on both counts but I wouldn't hold my breath getting them soon. 

I couldn't have said that better myself as applied to the Mar Eng trade and the main reason i released 14 months ago.

This too is also the reason I released.  I quite enjoyed my time in the CF and really enjoyed the people I worked with.  I liked having a focused mission in which there was some motivation to get through all the courses and take more, because there was a tangible benefit at the end of the tunnel.

I released for this reason as well.  I ended up so frustrated with the bloated and completely inefficient monster that drags us down and holds us back - while smart, motivated, well intentioned people who want to improve things are told "No.  This is how its done." 

Anyhow, to the above highlighted comment, +1

RedcapCrusader said:
\Half of my platoon had to borrow mukluks, Arctic jackets (the old fur lined parkas) from a cadet unit because the supply system is literally ******** the bed in all aspects.
And that supply'll be gone eventually when Cadets will have to buy their own winter wear.

The taxpayer in me goes :facepalm: at the title of this thread - I guess those way up the food chain missed the photo ops and exercises in the North.

devil39 said:

The old mukluks were awesome.  No need to make them waterproof as they and not designed to wear when it is 'wet'.  Making them waterproof would only make them keep the sweat in, which would defeat the purpose and practicality of them.  Creating a need where there is none, in order to provide jobs (R&D) is a waste of money and resources.  E.R.C. touches on this subject in the Canadian Military/Defence procurement process (Mega Thread) thread.

If it ain't broke....Don't fix it.

there is a ppt going around from DLR showing new mukluks and also they seem to indicate that neos style boots will be avail through the system too....

NFLD Sapper said:
there is a ppt going around from DLR showing new mukluks and also they seem to indicate that neos style boots will be avail through the system too....

Typical timelines might indicate you'll be playing in the snow, without proper footwear, for about five years then.

If the new combat boot fiasco is any indication though........................ ::)

You guys gotta have more faith!

A request was sent out to units to have anyone who is unfit for field duty return their mucklucks, bib overalls and some other winter kit.

Problem solved.

Back