• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Amber Alerts

dapaterson said:
Pelmorex needs to fix their geo ranges for alerts and properly geo target them, ignoring provincial boundaries.  In Ottawa, I should get alerts from Montreal to Kingston, not Thunder Bay or Toronto.

From what I have been able to find, research shows the overwhelming majority of successes fund the missing child and / or perp in close proximity - I think the figure I saw was 100 miles.

Tools exist to do proper targeting of messages, but they haven't been implemented in Canada yet.

Four hour driving time from Toronto to Ottawa, and an alert will generally not come til several hours have elapsed and investigation has determined the risk. That’s well within what an individual with a plan could do. Some may just impulsively kidnap and take off with no plan, but others might be punching it for another province, a family member’s place in another city, whatever.

With a child’s life at stake, it’s worth annoying some people. I got woken up twice by the one the other night, as I have others. I accept it, same as I would accept a fire truck or ambulance going by with sirens on to someone in distress.

Thunder Bay’s a bit far, sure.

I will try to find the study I read earlier to share it (re: distance most successful AAs were from the initial incident).

But if it takes 4 hours to get out an "urgent" alert, we have some serious problems.  That's plenty of time to jump on an aircraft to another jurisdiction (see: Saudis accused of anything, even with electronic monitoring).

Brihard said:
I accept it, same as I would accept a fire truck or ambulance going by with sirens on to someone in distress.

After I retired, I heard they caved to public pressure and took the sirens, air horns and rumblers away.

Switched to this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzodaDCD798

Everybody in Ontario thinking last nights Alert was for a missing kid, only to realize it was for a Nuclear threat.
https://twitter.com/TheMackAttack34/status/1216342426744434689

Everything is fine.  :)

Back