• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Amber Alerts

recceguy said:
A happy ending would be the perv going down in a hail of gunfire.

+1

Frang, Battle, A**hole, On

I have to agree with previous posters that the justice system's inability to deal with this kind of scum is appalling.  In fact I believe it's probably the most disturbing aspect of this entire situation.  It is probably inevitable that pedophiles and their ilk will crop up from time to time and commit their heinous crimes.  What is not inevitable is that they be released to prey on innocent victims again, that is purely a function of our current system.  Despite my first instinct (as noted above) I doubt Canada will be reinstating the death penalty, in any form, anytime soon (unfortunately as it would make for an interesting range).  However, there should be scope under the current system for significantly increased sentences and restrictions.  The only way any of us is likely to be able to effect this sort of change is by making our outrage known to those with the ability to take action.  I will be writing my MP as soon as I post this, I encourage you all to do the same.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/08/02/standoff-over.html

It appears the a$$hole surrendered.  It's very fortunate for the kids however I would have rather seen him resist and be dealt with properly.  Now the lame justice system in our country can give him another lenient sentence and he can do it all over again in a few years.  Gonna keep following this story.

Hey, let's stop bashing the legal system!  Maybe 8 convictions and incarcerations didn't rehabilitate this one predator... but, nearly 25% of our prison population are one-time offenders!  (will edit when I find a source for this stat)

Clearly, 2-5 year sentences for rape, murder, kidnapping, assault, et al IS working for less than one quarter of criminals - it will surely work for the rest.  Eventually.

I hope.

tlm.

yammit said:
Hey, let's stop bashing the legal system!  Maybe 8 convictions and incarcerations didn't rehabilitate this one predator... but, nearly 25% of our prison population are one-time offenders!  (will edit when I find a source for this stat)

Clearly, 2-5 year sentences for rape, murder, kidnapping, assault, et al IS working for less than one quarter of criminals - it will surely work for the rest.  Eventually.
I hope.
tlm.

I don't know where to start........must stop doing this first though. :rofl:

I have to agree with previous posters that the justice system's inability to deal with this kind of scum is appalling.

The justice system isn't *unable* to deal with it.  The justice system is **unwilling** to deal with it.  I'm willing to bet that a convicted felon, given maximum time by the appropriate "hangin' judge" will be out on parole, or mandatory reduced sentencing due to the successive years of liberal programs to *improve* our penal system and to *rehabilitate* our felons.  And the judge will either have to answer for his "intolerant" view of the law, and his refusal to be "open-minded", or the liberal system will ignore him as a "dinosaur" and do everything in its power to put the convicted, unrehabilitated criminal back out on the street, ideally in a neighbourhood that mirrors that where he committed his crimes in the first place, where the locals will not be allowed to be informed of his presence.

Once again, the ones at fault are Canadians who haven't held their politicians to account for their bad policy decisions.  Apparently, if we just *love* these people enough, everything will be all right...won't it?

I guess I'm splitting hairs here...but I want it  understood that the failure isn't the concept of justice per se, but the refusal of Canadians to demand it.

" Hey, let's stop bashing the legal system!  Maybe 8 convictions and incarcerations didn't rehabilitate this one predator... but, nearly 25% of our prison population are one-time offenders!  (will edit when I find a source for this stat)

Clearly, 2-5 year sentences for rape, murder, kidnapping, assault, et al IS working for less than one quarter of criminals - it will surely work for the rest.  Eventually. "

Sorry I read this and it did not make me laugh but rather offended. So are you saying 2-5 years is enough time for individuals who have killed and raped innocent victims.  I don't think that they could serve enough time for these offensives. Now when you victimize children, you loose all rights . What is the world coming too. What about these victims do you think that they just forget about it. NO, they are tormented throughout their whole life. It affects them drastically. It is evident that you have never experienced any horrific crime against yourself or a family member because if you have your attitude and opinion would be not as positive as you have expressed here.

I will quote Paracowboy on this one. Kneel down and face the ditch.

You should feel offended.  That was kinda the point.  SATIRE was being used to illustrate a point. 

At least, I hope. 

I will quote Paracowboy on this one. Kneel down and face the ditch.

+100%

I will second this to the justice systems needs to be tougher

Count me in with a vote for Kneel Down and Face the Ditch....the money spent on trying to rehab these creatures is better spent elsewhere.

Good to hear that they're safe. When I first saw Zachery Miller's picture I thought it was my cousin, they look very similar and are the same age.

My previous comment was said with tongue firmly in cheek.  It was meant to offend you, as many sentences should offend every law-abiding citizen, and/or victim of crime.  It was not meant to offend you as a defense to these sentences.

When it comes to justice, I am a firm believer in "three strikes, you're out", "try 'em and fry 'em" and/or "shoot, shovel, and shut up" (originally attributed to his Hon. Ralph Klein (sp?) regarding BSE, but also effective justice, in my not so humble opinion).

I have been in contact with both Statistics Canada, and their subdivision, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics (CCJS).  I cannot find a quote for my source of 25% being one-time offenders (meaning 75% are repeat).  Therefore, please do not requote me as being an accurate source.  The CCJS has provided me with some excellent documents, but in order to find the exact number of repeat offenders, they have to set up a special query into their database - and that will cost money and time, which, as always, are in short supply.

However, being a fan of the news, and seeing day after day repeated stories about repeat offenders back in court, or heading back to jail, I would be willing to bet that my guess of 75% is LOW.

If anyone has access to hard statistical data, I'd love to read it.

tlm.

Chalk this up to piece of shit human beings.

'You can't take TV away': Complaints about Amber Alert revealed

When an Amber Alert rang out on electronic devices across Ontario last month, the 911 dispatch centre closest to the place where the girl was last seen received dozens of calls complaining about the inconvenience.

According to a report presented to the police board in Peel Region, Ont., objections ranged from the alert interrupting the broadcast of a hockey game to a claim that the situation was not an emergency because the girl was believed to be with her father.

The Amber Alert was issued Feb. 14 following the disappearance of Riya Rajkumar. According to police, Rajkumar’s father Roopesh had failed to return her home from a celebration for her 11th birthday and had claimed he was going to hurt both the girl and himself.

Rajkumar was found dead at her father’s home shortly after the alert was sent. Her father was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, but later died of what police called a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Roopesh Rajkumar’s location had been reported to police by a citizen who recognized the description of his vehicle from the Amber Alert notification. Police cite this as an example of the Amber Alert system working as designed.

Less expected were the 89 calls to 911 from people in Peel Region, which includes Rajkumar’s home city of Brampton, Ont. Police classified the calls as a misuse of the 911 system.

“Many members of the public deliberately called 911 to voice their displeasure at receiving the Amber Alert at such a late hour,” the report notes.

The report includes transcripts of portions of six of the calls. Some people called 911 to claim that receiving the alert invaded their privacy. Others asked how to remove it from their TV screen or how to file an official complaint about police “abusing the National Emergency System” by sending the alert.

“She’s with her father; I don’t think this is a national emergency,” said one caller.

“We are trying to watch the Leaf game,” said another.

“No one can watch TV until this child is found,” said a third. “You can’t take TV away completely.”

Other callers took issue with the alert waking them up, because it was sent at 11:36 p.m.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/you-can-t-take-tv-away-complaints-about-amber-alert-revealed-1.4349747

Anyone who called 911 to complain should be fined for charged, whatever happens when people abuse the system.

Not to downplay the issue with the lack of basic humanity of some of these people, I think that the system could be better implemented than it is.

I don't know if it's the same for everybody, I have Bell satellite and for me when there is an emergency broadcast (not just the amber alert) the TV automatically switches to the emergency broadcast channel with the volume switched to maximum for a blaring klaxon sounding. The message then scrolls through, slowly several times (I think for some in the other official language as well) and then seems to stay there.

I found this terrifically bothersome for a weather alert the first time I got it because it went through the message a few times before it ceded control back to me. (I consider myself intelligent enough that I can usually comprehend a message the first time it's given to me)

The last one of these (which I think was the one in question, I was able to switch channels back to the one I was watching as soon as I'd read it.

Quite frankly I think that a better implementation is the way they do it for tornado warnings down south where the message runs in a ticker across the bottom of your screen leaving the original programming in place. If there's a significant danger there's also an audible warning voice-over that runs briefly. These types of messages do need to get out but they shouldn't lock down your system.

:2c:

Jarnhamar said:
Chalk this up to piece of shit human beings.

Not the first time there have been complaints,

CBC
May 15, 2018
Amber Alert for missing boy sparks complaints over new mobile emergency system
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mobile-emergency-alert-system-amber-alert-1.4662609
But gripes about the system soon began to pour in. Kingston police said they received "several complaints" regarding the Amber Alert notice. On social media, people startled by the alerts complained about the number of alerts they received and that they had received separate alerts in English and French.

"Sooo, is that emergency alert going to happen at like 4 a.m. with sleep mode enabled? Just asking for my heart health," tweeted James G.

The 4 a.m. timing of a July 2013 New York child abduction alert sent through the Wireless Emergency Alerts system raised concerns that many cellphone users will now disable WEA alerts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyregion/early-morning-alert-issued-after-7-month-old-boy-is-abducted.html

Edit to add,

EDMONTON (CITYNEWS) – “Thanks for waking me up a-holes, this should not be province-wide,” reads a tweet that was published minutes after Albertans learned of missing Edmonton child.
https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/03/16/please-no-more-alerts-people-complain-about-amber-alert-again/

"Very disappointed to learn of people calling #Calgary 9-1-1 to complain about being woken up & interruption to their TV shows!"

“How does an eardrum-bursting alarm help anyone?”

I understand the need for broadcasting these messages but at 3AM, I won't get up and look for a missing children.  I got awaken 3 times recently for an AMBER alert, between 1AM and 5AM  (including one alert to tell me the alert was cancelled).  Perhaps the alert could wait on individual phones until 0600?

SupersonicMax said:
I got awaken 3 times recently for an AMBER alert, between 1AM and 5AM  (including one alert to tell me the alert was cancelled). 

From what I understand, they are pretty loud.

During my employment, I became accustomed to alarm bells regularly going off.

But, towards the end of my career the bells were replaced by electronic "ramp-up" tones.

The experts figured that by gradually increasing the volume of alarm tones reduced fatigue, tachycardia and potentially long-term physical and psychological disorders.

Not sure if it would be technically possible or practical, but perhaps consideration could be given to gradually ramping up the volume on Amber Alerts to get people used to them?

SupersonicMax said:
I understand the need for broadcasting these messages but at 3AM, I won't get up and look for a missing children.  I got awaken 3 times recently for an AMBER alert, between 1AM and 5AM  (including one alert to tell me the alert was cancelled).  Perhaps the alert could wait on individual phones until 0600?

Unless for some reason I may get a phone call at night, mine is on airplane mode between 2300 and 0600 because it takes me forever to get back to sleep if I wake up.  Has never been an issue.

Back