• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, unfit or uncertain?

Kublu_

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am just posting this to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation.  I'm 28 years old, have a college diploma and university degree.  I was a police officer in a large city for about two years.  I left the job a few months ago and will be travelling the world for about a year.  After returning, I'm thinking about joining a combat arms trade as an NCM for regular force (I was in primary reserves infantry for five years).

This is going to sound very very rude, but would I be wasting my time joining infantry or armoured after all this life experience?  I would like to go overseas but I hear there are not many opportunities at this time.  Has anyone else been in a similar situation and would like to share your experience?

I joined as an NCM in my mid-late 20's with a solid educational and professional background. Completed basic training with a group of mostly teenagers and several my age or older. Nice mix of experience among everyone. There's some social barriers between working with such a young age group but when it comes down to our job, the young unskilled ones are just as efficient as anyone else including myself.

It's interesting that you are asking after having previously been in the reserves for 5 years for the same trade. Anyway, I may understand what you're getting at when you say that you're concerned about "wasting your time". Compared to your previous job you would definitely be taking a pay cut so obviously NCM Infantry would have to be something that you really, truly want to do for work. However, if by "wasting your time" you're implying that infantry is below your skill-set that would simply be false, in my opinion. I'm not infantry or a police officer so take my advice with a grain of salt here but I feel pretty confident that policing and infantry are two totally different worlds in every aspect. So I mean, with no intended disrespect here, throw that ego out of the window and go into it with an open mind if it's truly what you want to do.

Depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

I joined when I was 27 (Infantry Officer, no previous military experience) and have had no regrets.  I'll probably never get as far as some of my younger peers in terms of rank, etc due to being older, but I didn't really join for a careerist reason.  You'll have a few advantages (ideally more mature, education is a bonus for NCM promotions, etc) but you'll also have less time to cover the same ground as your younger peers.

If you're looking for an overseas combat tour - those have always historically been random based on what the world is currently like at the time.  From when I joined til now however, there is an increasing demand for overseas tours to various locations in Europe which *seems* to be something that will continue for at least a few more years.

Only you are really going to be able to answer if it is a "waste" because you didn't really explain what would make it worthwhile.

Murdock said:
I joined as an NCM in my mid-late 20's with a solid educational and professional background. Completed basic training with a group of mostly teenagers and several my age or older. Nice mix of experience among everyone. There's some social barriers between working with such a young age group but when it comes down to our job, the young unskilled ones are just as efficient as anyone else including myself.

It's interesting that you are asking after having previously been in the reserves for 5 years for the same trade. Anyway, I may understand what you're getting at when you say that you're concerned about "wasting your time". Compared to your previous job you would definitely be taking a pay cut so obviously NCM Infantry would have to be something that you really, truly want to do for work. However, if by "wasting your time" you're implying that infantry is below your skill-set that would simply be false, in my opinion. I'm not infantry or a police officer so take my advice with a grain of salt here but I feel pretty confident that policing and infantry are two totally different worlds in every aspect. So I mean, with no intended disrespect here, throw that ego out of the window and go into it with an open mind if it's truly what you want to do.

I'm not too concerned with the pay cut and am expecting it.  The latter is what I had in mind, thinking that my skillset could be more useful elsewhere.  You're right that my ego is in the way here since I am comparing my past experience with the younger ones who will also be in the combat trade and will be performing the same duties as me.  I know that what I said makes me sound like a jerk, but I guess it's just ego.  Thank you for your insight.  I find it personally valuable  :)

@mariomike,  thank you for the links.  I will give them all a read.

Ayrsayle said:
Depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

I joined when I was 27 (Infantry Officer, no previous military experience) and have had no regrets.  I'll probably never get as far as some of my younger peers in terms of rank, etc due to being older, but I didn't really join for a careerist reason.  You'll have a few advantages (ideally more mature, education is a bonus for NCM promotions, etc) but you'll also have less time to cover the same ground as your younger peers.

If you're looking for an overseas combat tour - those have always historically been random based on what the world is currently like at the time.  From when I joined til now however, there is an increasing demand for overseas tours to various locations in Europe which *seems* to be something that will continue for at least a few more years.

Only you are really going to be able to answer if it is a "waste" because you didn't really explain what would make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the input! 

Hi everyone,

I'm 35 and I've applied to the Reserves from Regular force initially. I had changed due to really enjoying my current small business that I'm running.

Anywho, I've passed the CFat and I've passed my fitness test this past week.
My recruiter at the reserve unit talked to me after the test because I applied for weapon and vehicle tech but my math back in the day doesn't calculate to the standards of today required to do the trades. My recruiter asked if I wanted to choose something else.

I'm leaning for Mse op but I just wanted to challenge myself and go for something more exciting.
I'm looking to get a feel to see if anyone in Infantry who has completed their Infantry DP1 for reserves saw anyone around my age do well. I can get pretty fit when I need to and don't really look my age but I don't feel I would fit in. Im just unsure. I know the CF doesn't really judge officially but just wondering unofficially,  if that makes any sense.

I'd even consider an armoured soldier trade. Just looking for those who've been there and maybe seen individuals around my age.
Any info would be helpful and reassuring.

Thank you

[Merged with the appropriate topic]   kratz - Staff

I got in at 32 as a Sig Op, then got out for a while and got back in to a different trade at 42 last year. Age has never been an issue. Fitting in or not has nothing to do with age.

I am 30 years old and trying to join air force to become a pilot.

Being a pilot have been my long time dream goal but have not had a chance after finishing my university because of a financial problem. I believe i am ready to join now and was wondering if it is too late. Does anybody have any suggestions or comments on this?

I understand that there are several different tests that I need to pass to get into pilot. When would I be expected to get paid  if I pass the tests and how long would it take for me to finish all the tests?

I appreciate any comments you guys give, please be honest as my career is pretty much depended on the decision i will make...

Thank you so much!

Good thread here for us old folks keen on getting in. I’ve just applied to join as a DEO (Infantry) at the ripe old age of 32 after tossing the idea around for about the last 5 years. Very glad I have finally taken the plunge.

I left the regular army in 2009 (British Army), moved back to Canada, did my BA and got into finance. I’ve applied as an overseas applicant as I’m currently living in London, working for a bank and doing a Master’s degree part-time (MSc War and Humanitarianism at Birkbeck, University of London) – which I will finish this time next year.

If I am successful I imagine I’ll be 33/34 by the time I get to BMOQ. The officer world is foreign to me, but given my military experience I am fairly sure that with a good level of fitness and a positive attitude (no hangups about younger people telling you what to do, or chip on the shoulder due to operational experience), us older applicants should be fine. As an aside, the British Army is far stricter on maximum age requirements...

I get that a 36 year old platoon commander would be a rarity, but again if the fitness and attitude are on point I’m hoping it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

As for career development etc.? I know age will be a barrier in some respects, but the reason I want back “into the fold” is the prospect of a diverse career as an officer, including potential postings to NDHQ etc. down the line.

Anyway – good luck to all of the late-in-life applicants! Keep up the fitness!

Cheers.

CEDE NULLIS said:
As for career development etc.? I know age will be a barrier in some respects
To be honest, age is only an issue if you let it be. 
As for the chip on the shoulder thing, no matter what occupation you join many people will always have someone younger than you or with less experience than you who can give you an order of what to do. :)

I did my BMQ in 1990 at the age of 17 for the reserves.  I only spent a year in my unit ( infantry). And I was just not prepared at that age to handle it.  But.  I'm ( a lot ) older now and not having any fun so I was interested in MSEOP with a reserve unit in my city.  Question is:  at 44 and having previous service would I still be eligible?I can still do drill and IA/stoppage on a C7!  Also anyone done MSEOP course?

GnarlyDavidson said:
I did my BMQ in 1990 at the age of 17 for the reserves.  I only spent a year in my unit ( infantry). And I was just not prepared at that age to handle it.  But.  I'm ( a lot ) older now and not having any fun so I was interested in MSEOP with a reserve unit in my city.  Question is:  at 44 and having previous service would I still be eligible?I can still do drill and IA/stoppage on a C7!  Also anyone done MSEOP course?

You could re-enlist sure, but you'd have to do basic over again.

Yes you can rejoin.  Within the PRes you can rejoin right up to 56/57 (I'm not a Reserve Recruiter so I can't remember whether it's 56 or 57).
As you did not reach OFP you would need to redo BMQ.
Best to reach out to the Service Battalion in your area to see if they need any MSE Op (I believe the Svc Bn's are the only PRes units that have MSE Op on their unit lines; again I might be wrong on that one, my specialty is RegF recruiting...)

Yes 41 Service Btn here in Calgary  are actively recruiting for a number of trades MSE op being one of them

Do they still run BMQ on weekends?

Hello

I am now 50. I started my application , i think it was about 7 years ago - cfat / medical / interview and some other things.

I decided to reopen the application. I am trying not to get excited about it, it has already been a roller coaster ride.

I know I can do it, or at least keep pace with most of the lads. Physically things have fallen off a bit, I broke my wrist 3 months ago ( cycling )- and it is about 98% now. I still heal well and I feel spry.

Unfortunatly, the only occupation I am interested in is being a pilot. It is the only thing I have ever cared about. I don't think I qualified years ago, but strangly enough I might be qualified now.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but I can promise you - if there is even the tinyest crack - I will get through.

My physical performance is not in doubt.
While in training the last time around ( age ~43 ) I was able to attain the old USMC PFT score 280.
Yes - it is a true and accurate number. I did do that, and ~should~ be able to do it again.

I  can tell you what happens - you don't actually get old.
You are _constantly_ being told you are old, and you begin to believe it.
It seems to be more of a mental game. Staying motivated and determined can be a challenge.

As a example, due to my "age" people will tell me that I can not, or should not work hard.

I hope I get a chance. I was told to do a couple things to demonstrate my reliability. I have completed those objectives to the best of my ability, and I expect to get a chance.

I don't know what else I can do to tip the scale. I believe I can still do it.
I am going for it.

Tell me I'm wrong, or tell me what I need to do. ___ I am going to hack it.___

I can’t say anything about you wanting to specifically be a pilot, but, I was on course with a gentleman who was 50. He had served some years before, then decided he wanted back in. I can’t recall his trade atm, but a woman on my sister pl was 48.

Anyway, all in all, I encountered quite a few recruits well over 40 during my time at CFLRS. It isn’t that uncommon these days. All the best and hopefully things work out for you.

commander-cb said:
___ I am going to hack it.___

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.  :)

( Incidentally, commander-cb Date of first and so far only post: October 29, 2017 Last Active: October 29, 2017 )

How far along are you in the application process? Did you talk with a recruiter yet and was there any concern over your age?

commander-cb said:
Unfortunatly, the only occupation I am interested in is being a pilot.

Just as a heads up your age may play a role in your preference at this stage.  You have stated that you're currently 50 years old, the initial terms of service for Pilot Direct Entry is 9 years and applicants must be able to fulfill their initial contract prior to reaching Compulsory Retirement Age (CRA) which is 60; so you have until your 51st birthday to complete the process and be enrolled.  Anything after your 51st birthday and you'd no longer be eligible for the Pilot occupation.

I'm not stating this to discourage you from trying for pilot; I'm only giving this information to assist in managing your expectations.

Cheers,
Buck_HRA

Back