• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am I too old, fat, or fit in? 2001 to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board was actually a good read.  I left a reserve group close to a quarter century ago and have kicked myself in the pants at least once a year ever since.  I'm 43 now but I know I could still give the young fellers a run for their money ;)  I live in a more rural area now - I might have to check and see what is available without too much of a commute.

Curve.Ball said:
Hello all,

My question to all you good folks is: am I insane?

Any thoughts or advice you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Short answer, I think you are actually very sane !!!
More sane that a lot of people who actually work 9-5 and the only reason they do it is to support themselves with no other goal/motivation in their life. That would be pretty depressing for me If my life turned out that way.

P.S. Not bashing in any way hard working people, everyone who works deserves a lot of respect !!!

More sane that a lot of people who actually work 9-5 and the only reason they do it is to support themselves with no other goal/motivation in their life. That would be pretty depressing for me If my life turned out that way.
Couldn't agree more.

Some people think I'm nuts for trying to join the army (even the PR) because I can't gain much from it. Because apparently personal gain is the only reason to do something.

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of getting back in and I'm contemplating on whether I'm to old. If there is anyone out there that has just rejoined and is around my age let me know of your experiences.
Thanks,
D-C
:cdn:

i would say if you can do what needs to be done then why not go for it. more the merrier

You're not alone in this - I'm merging this with a thread full of comment from all sorts of folks who've taken up service later in life.  Browse, learn and good luck, whatever you do!

Milnet.ca Staff

a good childhood friend of mine left the COATS (hope I got that right; was the CIC when I retired from the regs) before Christmas after many years as a CIC officier. She  left for Saint Jean this week as a pte (recruit) to start her basic. I'll be 50 in a couple months, so she'll be 49 sometime this year.  Good luck! :)

Wow. This thread just gave me barrels a cement truck full of hope. I have begun the process of applying. I don't even want to say how old I am. Fitness? I am thrilled to see the new physical fitness testing standards. I always sucked at pushups, and could not find any great correlation between them and combat readiness.

However, I was away from the gym for three months, and went back for three visits in a few weeks, and could deadlift 455 pounds. Actually, on my second visit, I did 405 for ten reps. Ironic that the old fitness standards involving having massive pecs and little else (this is an exaggeration) were hard for me to achieve. I have recently jogged a couple miles in my steel-shank, steel-toe heavy work boots. After walking a couple miles to my nearest favorite place to get my 32oz. drink refilled.

I have occasionally thought of being in the middle of a firefight, when the Taliban demands that we all drop and do fifty pushups. Oh, and a hundred situps. Then strip off all our gear and run for twenty miles.

The new stuff:

The FORCE Evaluation consists of four test components, each designed to measure different physical capabilities:

Sandbag Lift: 30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kilogram sandbag above a height of 1 metre, alternating between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 metres. Standard: 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Intermittent Loaded Shuttles: Using the 20 metre lines, complete ten 20 metre shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kilogram sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 metres. Standard: 5 minutes 21 seconds.

20-Metre Rushes: Starting from prone, complete two 20 metre shuttle sprints dropping to a prone position every 10 metres, for a total of 80 metres. Standard: 51 seconds.

Sandbag Drag: Carry one 20 kilogram sandbag and pull four on the floor over 20 mtres without stopping. Standard: Complete without stopping.

As the 20kg weight is less than 1/10th of what I can lift, I think I will work on my sprint/rest aerobic training.

Advice? Just specifically advice about what I can do to become more physically prepared. I thought it was going to be situps, chinups, and pushups.

As you may have guessed, I am male.

FAL said:
Wow. This thread just gave me barrels a cement truck full of hope. I have begun the process of applying. I don't even want to say how old I am. Advice? Just specifically advice about what I can do to become more physically prepared.

So after cutting out the crap from your post which really wasn't relevant........

Here's my :2c:  Age is never a barrier and hasn't been for quite sometime.  So submit your oneline application now if not already done.

Advice?  On being physically prepared, keep doing what you're doing and then be prepared for a long wait.

I know I have said this more then once in the last few days and I'm sorry in advance to the staff and moderators however I find this channel on youtube very helpful Basic Up
As even with the question about age, this season 2 of Basic up on youtube talks about one gentleman who joined i think in his early fifties and has done very well - hope this helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O8wlviARE&list=PLF562C684AD920551

I'm in a similar situation. I have had the goal of rejoining the Primary Reserve for about 4 years now, as a Signals Officer. I was previously in Armoured, many, many, years ago. I'm happy to say I finally passed all my physical, aptitude, interviews, preliminary medicals, even got approval from my hopefully soon to be C.O. I did uncover a problem with my vision, however. I was initially denied on this matter but appealing the decision with the support of my doctors. I'd say the vision thing is the hardest part of re-applying at a later age. As everyone else on this list has said, however, go for it. I was worried about age as well but then reassured I was in prime condition by the physical testing instructor. That was really nice encouragement. I'll post something on the eye decision once I find out. It's a condition that has come up a few times on this list and the CF doesn't have a clear answer on it. I'm hoping it sorts itself out.

And, I'm new to this list. So, thanks to the folks that run this site and thanks to all of you, and your families, serving in the CF. You don't get enough recognition for what you do.

I'm 43 and have just finished interview stage of the application process. Everything has been going well except I've been asked on two occasions by different recruiters if I'm sure I want to put my body through such a physically demanding trade when there are so many other less physical trades to choose from. The people who have gone through it obviously have the knowledge here, so here's my questions. How long could I potentially be a combat engineer or infantry soldier..could I go to age 60 or is that unheard of ? Is one less harder than the other ? Should I look for another trade  I could go to retirement in ? I find traffic tech and boatswain also interesting. I'm just looking for any advice from those who really know how the military works...Thanks

Having over 30 years of service and currently a Regular Force Infantry Officer, both are physically demanding trades.  While not impossible to join at 43 and serve until 55 or 60, personal experience tells me that the human body is more apt to accept the occasionally (or sometimes often?)  brutal physical demands of the infantry under the age of 40. 

Regular Force or Reserve might make a difference....I assume you are looking at Reg Force?

Looking back at the demands of Infantry Officer training, and currently living in a beat up 47 year old human body, at this age I would probably pick an interesting trade that did not require, as one of the primary assets, subjecting one's body to often outrageous physical abuse and stress.

51 year old grunt here, and Devil39 has it right.  You do have the advantage of a 43 yr old buddy that has not yet been "infantryed", but as you age, your recuperation time gets quite a bit longer.

Traffic Tech has many opportunities for travel, as well as the possibility to become a Load Master on certain aircraft in the RCAF.

Remember, the 2 different lifestyles between Army (*dig in*) and Air Force (*check in* 8)).  Having lived both, and being the same age as you, I'm glad I have a plane to carry around the stuff I need to do my job now. 

I concur totally with what the others have had to say and I couldn't say it any better.  I will add one more bit of info for you to consider.  As someone joining at 43 you will not be able to build any sort of pension because you don't have the possibility of putting in the required 25 years.  In fact, you will be able to serve less then 20 until you hit the best case scenario of working till 60.  For many, age, aches, pains, family considerations and other factors arise causing us to look at releasing (retiring with a pension if possible) well before age 60. 

I'd personally recommend you consider another trade that will give you some sort of skill set you can use in the civilian sector.  In that way, when you look to release or should you have to release you will be able to transition into an effective civilian position to be able to support yourself and/or family.

Looking for advice from those who know or can relate.

I'm 34, have a family of 4 and have built a successful career as a business leader and executive. I'm a strong leader and feel I'd do well in the RCAF. I spent 5 years of my youth with the cadet corp (air) and have built my career in aviation since. I do not have my wings and have not completed a degree. I'm literally ready to press submit on my application and have spent weeks researching and speaking with recruiters.

My goals:
1. Build a long term leadership career and obtain progressive rank.
2. Fly (hopefully fixed wing)

Questions:
1. Recruiters have been split regarding the best path for me. i.e. CEOTP or ROTP? I want to make sure I choose the best route to set up for my goals.
2. Given my age, do I stand any chance of earning wings and is there enough time to reach Major or Colonel?
3. Concerned about the educational and training period for my family. Exactly what sacrifices can we expect? 

crossroads78 said:
Looking for advice from those who know or can relate.

I'm 34, have a family of 4 and have built a successful career as a business leader and executive. I'm a strong leader and feel I'd do well in the RCAF. I spent 5 years of my youth with the cadet corp (air) and have built my career in aviation since. I do not have my wings and have not completed a degree. I'm literally ready to press submit on my application and have spent weeks researching and speaking with recruiters.

My goals:
1. Build a long term leadership career and obtain progressive rank.
2. Fly (hopefully fixed wing)

Questions:
1. Recruiters have been split regarding the best path for me. i.e. CEOTP or ROTP? I want to make sure I choose the best route to set up for my goals.
2. Given my age, do I stand any chance of earning wings and is there enough time to reach Major or Colonel?
3. Concerned about the educational and training period for my family. Exactly what sacrifices can we expect?

I give it a kick and here goes.......

1.  If as you say, you have not completed a "degree" and if you have a family to support and your wife doesn't work, then forget about ROTP.  There's no way you could support your family.  If your wife does work and you can support your family based on her salary alone, then you could consider ROTP.  Other than that, CEOTP is probably the better way for you to go.
2.  Sure, as long as you pass BMOQ and graduate from either chosen path and pass your flight training, you will earn your wings but it's never a given.  As far as reaching the rank of Major or above, anything is possible!  It's your career.....
3.  Depending on where you currently reside, probably an extended period of separation.  It's all based on personal circumstance and other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back