• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

If your city is not on the list, no dice.

I have a question as well, I understand that if you are co-habitating with another force member you are entitled to 75% of PLD. Do they take taxes based off or your income or is it like your posting allowance where they take like 48%?

Cbbmtt said:
I have a question as well, I understand that if you are co-habitating with another force member you are entitled to 75% of PLD. Do they take taxes based off or your income or is it like your posting allowance where they take like 48%?

Your taxes are based on your total income.  Whatever they withhold when you receive PLD (or any other allowance for that matter) is an estimate based on what your expected total income for that year is going to be.  In the case of Posting Allowance, Brookfield tends to withhold the maximum simply to ensure you don't underpay and end up owing it later.  It all comes out in the wash when you file your income tax return.  If you've overpaid, you'll get it back and if you've underpaid, you will owe.  If you want to reduce the amount of money withheld, go to your pay office and ensure that your TD1 is up to date and accurate.  This could mean that you receive more money in your bank account twice a month - of course it could also mean that you income tax refund will be smaller as well (i.e. because you've already received that money over the course of the year).

In a perfect world, if your TD1 is accurate, your income tax refund or amount owing come tax time, should actually be zero (but we don't live in a perfect world  :))

Anyone heard an ETA on the updated PLD rates that are supposed to be effective 1 Apr 15 as per the SOW posted earlier?

It'll most likely be announced several month late -- and then allowances backdated to 1 April 2015. If we're lucky, there will be Transitional PLD for locations that have reduced rates. That's what happened the last time. But it isn't automatic, especially if the intent is to reduce overall PLD expenditures, as TPLD bucks against that trend. After all, there are still pers collecting TPLD for Ottawa/Gatineau/NCR, even though it's at zero-rate for new members posted in.

NS taxes are high. Housing is okay in the right areas IMO.  Expect to lose 48% of Hfx PLD to taxes.  Parking sucks. 

Food's expensive, hydro is outrageous.  It's not necessarily cheap to live here.  Folks leave here to go inland to places like Ottawa for example, lose PLD and SDA but find they have more money in their pockets nevertheless.

Yup, and the PLD looks good at $631/month.  I saw about $180 of that per pay after taxes.  People who are posted from Comox to Greenwod say they have about $600 a month less in their accounts after taxes etc.

Worst part is watching the provincial government piss away money on stupid shit like the Yarmouth fery and Bluenose resoration.  :facepalm:

Agreed on the Bluenose in particular.  Dexter should be tarred and feathered for that fiasco.  Yup, my wallet wishes I had never asked to be posted here so long long ago.

Amen, no offence intended to people who love or are from the maritimes, but I can't stand living here. Pay the most taxes with the least to show for it.

As for living in the Valley:
- No PLD at all.
- Car maintenance is increased due to the horrendous road conditions, it is impossible to avoid the potholes.
- My NS Power bill for a two month period, just after moving here 5 years ago, was over $1200.
- It is damn near impossible to find anyone to do any work or service for you that can do a professional job and will show up on time or even at all.
- I hope you like Pizza, because that is all you get for restaurant choices. Although there are one or two decent other spots around, you get tired of picking between pasta jax and sushi fang every time without having to drive 40 min to Wolfville.

I am a BC guy though, so I guess I am a little biased, but I did live in Ottawa for a while and that is a fantastic place to live. I was actually there during the PLD transition where Ottawa was supposed to be the baseline at 0$ and they were supposed to deny PLD to people posted in and decrease everyone else by a 1/3 each year, over the next 3-4 years. That apparently changed though, they did deny new people posted in, but they didn't decrease anyone else's that was already there. So I went on making a couple hundred extra a month in PLD, while the new guy sitting next to me, doing the exact same job, got nothing. That didn't make sense to me.

Just moved from Comox to Moose Jaw. I was like yeah PLD!!! But then I realized the Provincial taxes are 6% higher so I lost $170 a month to taxes and PLD is $284 - Tax is $194 so really I'm getting an additional $24.

I've got nothing to complain about however compared to Nova Scotia, so I'll just hold my tongue. But I will definatly say that I was shocked that the cost of living here in the middle of the prairies was equal to Comox. I really thought it would be cheaper.

Cbbmtt said:
Just moved from Comox to Moose Jaw. I was like yeah PLD!!! But then I realized the Provincial taxes are 6% higher so I lost $170 a month to taxes and PLD is $284 - Tax is $194 so really I'm getting an additional $24.

I've got nothing to complain about however compared to Nova Scotia, so I'll just hold my tongue. But I will definatly say that I was shocked that the cost of living here in the middle of the prairies was equal to Comox. I really thought it would be cheaper.

You arent even heating your home yet.......

277to081 said:
Amen, no offence intended to people who love or are from the maritimes, but I can't stand living here. Pay the most taxes with the least to show for it.

As for living in the Valley:
- No PLD at all.
- Car maintenance is increased due to the horrendous road conditions, it is impossible to avoid the potholes.
- My NS Power bill for a two month period, just after moving here 5 years ago, was over $1200.
- It is damn near impossible to find anyone to do any work or service for you that can do a professional job and will show up on time or even at all.
- I hope you like Pizza, because that is all you get for restaurant choices. Although there are one or two decent other spots around, you get tired of picking between pasta jax and sushi fang every time without having to drive 40 min to Wolfville.

I am a BC guy though, so I guess I am a little biased, but I did live in Ottawa for a while and that is a fantastic place to live. I was actually there during the PLD transition where Ottawa was supposed to be the baseline at 0$ and they were supposed to deny PLD to people posted in and decrease everyone else by a 1/3 each year, over the next 3-4 years. That apparently changed though, they did deny new people posted in, but they didn't decrease anyone else's that was already there. So I went on making a couple hundred extra a month in PLD, while the new guy sitting next to me, doing the exact same job, got nothing. That didn't make sense to me.

I am a NS guy, and everything you said about ZX is spot on..  I'd love to get back to BC.

I find it odd that the PLD system hasn't been revamped, I am not saying we deserve it in Greenwood, but Halifax pulling in over $600?  When there are communities in the Halifax geographical PLD zone that are just as cheap (real estate wise) as Greenwood.  I am looking forward to the results of the new PLD survey

It wont get changed within a reasonable time frame that will allow the people that are currently affected much relief.

Isn't the TB out of bounds for the next 8 months due to a restructuring or modernizing of how they do things?

upandatom said:
It wont get changed within a reasonable time frame that will allow the people that are currently affected much relief.

Isn't the TB out of bounds for the next 8 months due to a restructuring or modernizing of how they do things?

Any restrictions on TB in the next little while would be due to an election being called.

Generally, TB meets weekly, from mid-January through early June (with possibly a week or two off), then resumes sitting from mid-September through early December (again, with possibly a week or two off).  Urgent matters and emergencies are sometimes addressed by extraordinary meetings, but the Secretariat that supports TB is very good at enforcing "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part".

An election in October would mean the last sitting would likely be in early June, and not resume again until early November.  The November sittings would be filled with some routine business of government, possibly together with some high priorities announced by the government in their speech from the throne.

Thus, unless something gets approved by June, it's unlikely it will be approved until late in the year (or possibly next year).

Just got Aprils pay statement. Anyone know why pld from July 2007 to July 2010 has been clawed back? $583.83 was taken off my pay. Then a credit of 390, related to pld also. Looks like im missing almost $200 for some reason. I was in kingston at the time and I thought that was the agreed pld at that time.

They got $228 from me with a credit of $144, something about Remission Order PLD, wonder if they would have sent me a bill if I had remained retired.  ;)

I'd suggest paying a visit to your local Orderly Room and obtaining a more detailed explanation of just what those deducations were for.

There was guidance issued quite sometime ago about all this but back then, I don't think there was an intent to recover these funds.  Maybe something changed.

Yeah what was with that,
I have been out for 3 months now, and received that "paystub" with no explanation what the hell it was about.

If you do the math, it adds up that the Remission Order PLD+ Income tax deducted + CPP + EI should work out the total PLD allowance "Clawback"?
Ie- mine was 657.07
122.74 taxes, 32.53 CPP 12.35 EI and 489.45 Remission order.

The 657.07 was clawed back, So in turn it being a taxable benefit,
167.80 is refunded back, and the Remission order covers the rest of it bringing it too 657 to balance out.

Back