• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged Institutional Racism/solutions in CAF (merged)

While I think Gen Eyre is a fantastic commander, the reporting policy has been in place for a long long long time.
I recall that directive shortly after the Somalia Inquiry wrapped up.

The problem lies rooted in the fact the Military is a terrible arbitrary of policy - as quite often issues get ignored by the CoC, and there is no outside review of reports or concerns.

I mean color me not shocked that this is still an issue.

I don’t mean to be dismissive at all. I also just don’t want to feed into any sensationalism the media has spun on the issue.

Statistically speaking, the number of cases deemed serious enough for further investigation is small compared to an organization of roughly 100,000 ppl.

If racist comments or other nonsense is being reported mostly at the junior ranks (for simplicity sake) - could it simply be that some newer recruits are joining the military with ignorant attitudes? Like some always have?

If that is the case, then perhaps the military is potentially a good place for these folks to end up… as it gives the military a chance to rectify this behaviour, with a heavy hand if necessary.

It may also change the attitudes of some members who have some racist beliefs, but have kept it quiet - as they will have more experience interacting with the ethnic groups they have these beliefs about.

I haven’t met many people who work with members of various ethnic groups on a regular basis, who remain steadfastly racist. If they do, it’s perhaps more an issue of a lack of introspective thinking - which is something we can always encourage, but can’t force or enforce.

I don’t want to be dismissive or pretend the issue doesn’t exist. But the media is also clearly on a witchhunt these days, looking for any social issue it can spin - with the military and law enforcement agencies being good places for them to look for stories. (Access to information policies, formal processes, etc.)

If a member says something racist or does something racist, it should be reported. And that member should face dismissal or serious consequences if not dismissed. Period. (Isn’t this already how things are being done?)

I hope everyone here is consistent between believing the recent stories about the GOFOs and this about the junior ranks. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t want to be dismissive or pretend the issue doesn’t exist. But the media is also clearly on a witchhunt these days, looking for any social issue it can spin - with the military and law enforcement agencies being good places for them to look for stories. (Access to information policies, formal processes, etc.)

If a member says something racist or does something racist, it should be reported. And that member should face dismissal or serious consequences if not dismissed. Period. (Isn’t this already how things are being done?)
I would say that its not the media on a witch hunt. The media is reporting what has been told to them.

Racism in the CAF is not new. I think we all know that. I recall a number of years ago a MCpl called a soldier a very racist name. It was reported to the CoC - he was charged (I don't recall the NDA - 129 is my best guess). He was found guilty and part of his sentence was to research and write a 1000 word essay to the OC about why racism is incompatible with military service.

It seemed to change his attitude.

He was found guilty and part of his sentence was to research and write a 1000 word essay to the OC about why racism is incompatible with military service.
The "American History X" punishment. Nice.

"I would say that its not the media on a witch hunt. The media is reporting what has been told to them."

Can't fully agree with this once I read the article and noted the media made sure they had a quote that despite most of the cases as new members painted the picture of it as the military culture. The way I am reading it is that rather than these members coming in with the issue they are saying it is something they are learning from the military as part of our ingrained culture.

Barbara Perry, an expert on far-right groups at Ontario Tech University, said the finding deserves closer scrutiny.

"Something is happening," she said. "I mean, it comes back to the culture. Right? What is the culture that has been built up? We've heard a lot of that around sexual assault.

With people with a substantial pulpit pounding the "everything is institutionally racist" drum, it's reasonable to expect a lot of signals from people immersed in that stew who subsequently join the CAF. Expect more in future.

People with racist and sexist attitudes usually join with those issues. BUT if they are allowed to fester and infect others is on the CAF.

Back