• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
You didn't have any co-workers in the ICU fighting it. Or, put into quarantine yourself, like I was.
If SARS had landed in Guelph, or Kingston, or any place other than TO, that would have been ok with me. :)
Like I said, locally impactful, but honestly, and not trying to be unempathetic, but the 8000 cases world-wide and 770 fatalities on the planet doesn’t out SARS anywhere near Spanish Flu, Polio, or COVID.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
What could be worse than COVID and how can we prepare?

Looks like we're working on that.... from June this year:

'Worse than Covid': Threat of pandemics spurs race for vaccines in 100 days​

Researchers and governments want to smash vaccine development records, harnessing technologies such as messenger RNA.​

Hatchett’s group envisions a future in which new vaccines against infectious disease could be created within 100 days, a challenge that Britain and the U.S. are embracing. The U.K.’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance and health philanthropist Melinda French Gates are due to outline a roadmap to world leaders at the Group of Seven summit that starts Friday in Cornwall, England.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

The YouTubers who blew the whistle on an anti-vax plot​

A mysterious marketing agency secretly offered to pay social media stars to spread disinformation about Covid-19 vaccines. Their plan failed when the influencers went public about the attempt to recruit them.

"It started with an email" says Mirko Drotschmann, a German YouTuber and journalist.

Mirko normally ignores offers from brands asking him to advertise their products to his more than 1.5 million subscribers. But the sponsorship offer he received in May this year was unlike any other.

An influencer marketing agency called Fazze offered to pay him to promote what it said was leaked information that suggested the death rate among people who had the Pfizer vaccine was almost three times that of the AstraZeneca jab.

The information provided wasn't true.

It quickly became apparent to Mirko that he was being asked to spread disinformation to undermine public confidence in vaccines in the middle of a pandemic.

"I was shocked," says Mirko "then I was curious, what's behind all that?"

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
What could be worse than COVID and how can we prepare?

Looks like we're working on that.... from June this year:

'Worse than Covid': Threat of pandemics spurs race for vaccines in 100 days​

Researchers and governments want to smash vaccine development records, harnessing technologies such as messenger RNA.​

Hatchett’s group envisions a future in which new vaccines against infectious disease could be created within 100 days, a challenge that Britain and the U.S. are embracing. The U.K.’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance and health philanthropist Melinda French Gates are due to outline a roadmap to world leaders at the Group of Seven summit that starts Friday in Cornwall, England.

This will get the anti vaxxers up in arms yet again. I’m amazed that people can’t see that as tech advances so does the speed at which we can create and develop.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The difference between the past and now, is that unlike the past where we needed to create the tech simultaneously with the vaccine, today we're using existing tech to create the vaccine. The mRNA tech has been around for 20 years, as has PCR technology. They were just used for different purposes.

I consider COVID a sentinel event. I truly believe that there is something worse out there, and we need to be prepared for it.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Hand washing, avoidance and mask wearing

Sure, if "avoidance" includes plummeting ridership on transit vehicles, remarkably reduced crowd sizes in shopping malls, and locking the kids up at home. I suppose any one of those three is much more highly effective than handwashing and mask wearing, but theatre is always more important than life.

Quirky

Reaction score
Sure, if "avoidance" includes plummeting ridership on transit vehicles, remarkably reduced crowd sizes in shopping malls, and locking the kids up at home. I suppose any one of those three is much more highly effective than handwashing and mask wearing, but theatre is always more important than life.
I support this.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I know that science can be scary for people who don’t understand it. That fear also comes from those pushing conspiracies and make themselves into the spokesperson. Like Jennifer McCarthy. But hey she was on bay watch.

if I went back in time to the Middle Ages and started talking about all the advances we made in the 21st century I’d likely be burned at the stake. Luckily we live in a day and age where the pitchfork carrying luddites are in the minority and tend to be more mouth than anything else.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
That's because pitchforks are pointy, and therefore dangerous, and therefore can kill, and therefore must be taken away...

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry,
Luckily we live in a day and age where the pitchfork carrying luddites are in the minority and tend to be more mouth than anything else.
Luckily, we don't get around on the backs of animals around anymore, so have much less need for pitchforks. :)