• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
So your pushing vaccinations, would you want a clear record of vaccine side effects to help with long term studies? Apparently not, if you want conspiracy theories, this is how you get them....

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
So your pushing vaccinations, would you want a clear record of vaccine side effects to help with long term studies? Apparently not, if you want conspiracy theories, this is how you get them....

Just to be clear Bret Weinstein isn't a conspiracy theorist he has a PhD in biology. His wife, Heather Heying, is also a PhD Biologist. They are serious scientists and have been talking with many other scientists, including prominent virologists, for months.

I'm vaccinated but I think he makes a lot of good points, especially about the lack of scientific rigor that seems to being applied to the mainstream Coronavirus ideas while simultaneously dismissing, out of hand, various claims that have turned out to be just as valid, if not more so.

Reactions: QV

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
If this is true, I've officially lost all hope of covid ever going away.

Since Israel got ahead of the world in terms of vaccinations in December and January, and it's now July and vaccinated people are making up the bulk of cases, we may be seeing the immunity from covid and variants wane after....6 months.

If that's the case, I don't even know what the plan going forward is going to be, boosters every 6 months?

Brutal.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
If that's the case, I don't even know what the plan going forward is going to be, boosters every 6 months?

Brutal.

Technically someone wouldn't be fully vaccinated if they require ongoing boosters is what you're saying?

suffolkowner

Reaction score

Since Israel got ahead of the world in terms of vaccinations in December and January, and it's now July and vaccinated people are making up the bulk of cases, we may be seeing the immunity from covid and variants wane after....6 months.

Brutal.
it doesn't state whether they are one dose or two. I'm assumming two due to their head start but maybe not? It's interesting problem for sure though I was pretty sure that the preliminary data elsewhere was showing different. Curious what variant/mutations are cycling through Israel now. How far the spike protein can be stretched and still bind to the ACE receptor will limit the functionality of Covid variants. So far they seem to be getting better at fit and function instead of the reverse. My reading has suggested that the vaccines are only differing from each other by one nucleotide in a thousand which is very low. We probably will need a booster that matches the binding site on the spike protein better

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

Brutal.

Of course we're going to need boosters. Did anyone actually think the Pharmaceutical industry would let this opportunity slip away ?

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Of course we're going to need boosters. Did anyone actually think the Pharmaceutical industry would let this opportunity slip away ?
Yeah, because they decide how a disease reacts to a vaccine. :rolleyes:

I suspect the case increase in Israel may be due to the Delta variant. Early analysis says the Pfizer vaccine appears to be less effective against infections caused by the Delta variant.

Pfizer vaccine protection takes a hit as Delta variant spreads, Israeli government says

Israel says the Delta variant is infecting vaccinated people, representing as many as 50% of new cases. But they're less severe.

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score

That's because COVID is endemic, and seasonal. I'm willing to bet we're going to see an uptick of cases again in the fall, just like we always do with flu. The media is definitely trying to milk the fear though, they ignored the last 2 weeks of dropping Ontario cases but had tons of articles about Lambda variant and needing booster shots and when should kids get vaccinated (truthbomb: Kids under 18 don't need COVID vaccines). As more and more major markets start actually assessing risk properly and realize we can manage COVID like every other seasonal illness, then the media coverage will die off as they lose clicks and find another thing to scare people with.

Alberta's cases have gone down since they removed mask mandates... there should have been an uptick if you read CTV and CBC. Guess that means either vaccines work, or masks never worked.

Reactions: QV

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Multi-source data re: COVID vaccine efficacy vs COVID Delta variant. (No available data yet for mixes of vaccines)
The highly-infectious Delta coronavirus variant is causing a surge in COVID-19 casesaround the world, from the US to India. The variant has mutations that help it partially escape the immune response produced by vaccines.

The data for how well COVID-19 vaccines work against the Delta variant isn't clear cut.

The World Health Organization said Tuesday, July 6, that COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca worked well against severe COVID-19 caused by Delta, in comparison to other variants. But the vaccines may offer less protection against symptomatic illness — rather than severe disease — caused by Delta compared to other variants, it said.

Here's how much protection COVID-19 vaccines give you against symptomatic Delta infections, based on the best available data from four studies.

UK study: Pfizer 88% effective, AstraZeneca 60%
A UK-based study from May found that two doses of either AstraZeneca or Pfizer's vaccine were highly effective against the Delta variant, from two weeks after the second dose.

Pfizer​

• 33% effective after one dose, 88% effective after two.

AstraZeneca​

• 33% effective after one dose, 60% effective after two.

Canadian study: Pfizer 87% effective after two doses, Moderna 72% after one dose​

A Canadian study posted on Saturday, July 3, found that two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine worked as well against Delta as they did against the Alpha variant, which was previously dominant in the US.

The study hasn't been scrutinized by experts in a peer-review.

Pfizer​

• 56% effective from 14 days after first dose, 87% effective after two doses.

AstraZeneca​

• 67% effective from 14 days after first dose. Not enough data for two doses.

Moderna​

• 72% effective from 14 days after first dose. Not enough data for two doses.
    ……..(remainder of article at link)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Yeah, because they decide how a disease reacts to a vaccine. :rolleyes:

I suspect the case increase in Israel may be due to the Delta variant. Early analysis says the Pfizer vaccine appears to be less effective against infections caused by the Delta variant.

Pfizer vaccine protection takes a hit as Delta variant spreads, Israeli government says

Israel says the Delta variant is infecting vaccinated people, representing as many as 50% of new cases. But they're less severe.

Delta from abroad, apparently:

Israel has reintroduced a requirement to wear masks indoors amid a rise in coronavirus cases, just days after it lifted the measure.
Concern has grown after the country recorded more than 100 new daily cases in successive days after registering zero earlier this month.
Most of the cases have been linked to the Delta variant from abroad.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just to be clear Bret Weinstein isn't a conspiracy theorist he has a PhD in biology. His wife, Heather Heying, is also a PhD Biologist. They are serious scientists and have been talking with many other scientists, including prominent virologists, for months.

I'm vaccinated but I think he makes a lot of good points, especially about the lack of scientific rigor that seems to being applied to the mainstream Coronavirus ideas while simultaneously dismissing, out of hand, various claims that have turned out to be just as valid, if not more so.
I'm astonished at the acceptance of censorship in Western society. We are in for some crazy times.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm astonished at the acceptance of censorship in Western society. We are in for some crazy times.
A lot of people out there pushing "alternative facts."

Growing up, there were the three American news networks - NBC, CBS and ABC.

They agreed on the facts.

Opinions varied. But, not the facts.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Technically someone wouldn't be fully vaccinated if they require ongoing boosters is what you're saying?
Most of Israel is already at two doses and have been since January.

So we are talking about a third dose here.

Then maybe 6 months after that,a fourth.

And so on and so forth

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
it doesn't state whether they are one dose or two. I'm assumming two due to their head start but maybe not?
Most of israel is two dosed, and have been since January.
It's interesting problem for sure though I was pretty sure that the preliminary data elsewhere was showing different.
I remember those results as well, the immunity was supposed to last longer than 6 months. 6 months is pretty much what they said the immunity was if you got covid and recovered.
Curious what variant/mutations are cycling through Israel now.
Delta right now.
How far the spike protein can be stretched and still bind to the ACE receptor will limit the functionality of Covid variants. So far they seem to be getting better at fit and function instead of the reverse. My reading has suggested that the vaccines are only differing from each other by one nucleotide in a thousand which is very low. We probably will need a booster that matches the binding site on the spike protein better
I hope we aren't looking at boosters for the world every 6 months. At that rate...

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
That's because COVID is endemic, and seasonal. I'm willing to bet we're going to see an uptick of cases again in the fall, just like we always do with flu. The media is definitely trying to milk the fear though, they ignored the last 2 weeks of dropping Ontario cases but had tons of articles about Lambda variant and needing booster shots and when should kids get vaccinated (truthbomb: Kids under 18 don't need COVID vaccines). As more and more major markets start actually assessing risk properly and realize we can manage COVID like every other seasonal illness, then the media coverage will die off as they lose clicks and find another thing to scare people with.

Alberta's cases have gone down since they removed mask mandates... there should have been an uptick if you read CTV and CBC. Guess that means either vaccines work, or masks never worked.
Or it means vaccines provide protection and thus cases go down. But if israel is the canary in the coal mine, in 3-4 months, we are going to be in trouble.

Declining immunity, and winter coming.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Strange that vaccination or previous infection doesn't provide 100% immunity. I've never had another cold or flu after my first ones, long ago.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Strange that vaccination or previous infection doesn't provide 100% immunity. I've never had another cold or flu after my first ones, long ago.
Then we need to extract your blood/DNA, analyze it, copy it, and then inoculate the rest of Canada. You might be the Omega man.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Then we need to extract your blood/DNA, analyze it, copy it, and then inoculate the rest of Canada. You might be the Omega man.

Sidebar: The original movie is till the best IMHO ....

will smith television GIF