• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I realize that I missed another benefit of supporting this company. The mRNA technology is at the forefront of cancer research. There is some evidence that targeted cancer immunotherapy could be produced from this approach.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Lessons learned:
1. Make something tangible, like ships or trains or small aircraft.
2. Set up in QC.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The treat of the novel virus isn't going away any time soon. Given that we no longer have a home grown vaccine maker, the government should have helped them out. I admit that their progress is behind the curve regarding a Covid vaccine, but there's an own goal in the making here. We could have built a capacity that we're sorely missing. Now we stand to lose this opportunity. $150M is cheap compared to what we're spending on other things that will have no lasting impact.

Yes, there was no one else in Canada doing it.

And then, there's also the big multinationals with existing vaccine plants in Canada, Sanofi Pasteur and GSK.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I’m booked tomorrow. At a provincial mass vaccination clinic. After trying to go through a pharmacy and getting no response I became eligible due to being in a hot zone. Went online and both appointments are booked. Wasn’t very difficult.

The pharmacies are struggling since AZ is drying up. The provincial / PHU bookings are using Pfizer and Astra Zeneca.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The pharmacies are struggling since AZ is drying up. The provincial / PHU bookings are using Pfizer and Astra Zeneca.
Yeah, booked with a pharmacy the moment it became available but 3 weeks and still nothing. From what I can tell, lots of people made multiple bookings, and never cancelled their multiple appts leading to no shows or last minute cancellations. The pharmacy booking system isn’t really linked between pharmacies so likely caused issues.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Got my first shot this morning. Was pretty smooth.

On a related note on how effective one shot might be.

I know up thread there was some debate about tracking totals based on one dose or two. But it seems that the one dose strategy seems to be working.

listening to the radio, pundits were saying that the Ontario Gvt really needs to do more to explain what people with one dose vs two can do. Can a one dose person visit their mother who has two doses in an LTC facility? Can a group of of one dose people meet without masks etc etc. It would go a long way to encourage people to get it.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
You can't do anything different, vaccinated or not, until the lockdown/stay at home is over. And who in their right mind would make a decision based on over 2 weeks in the future right now?

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
You can't do anything different, vaccinated or not, until the lockdown/stay at home is over. And who in their right mind would make a decision based on over 2 weeks in the future right now?
True. But the messaging and comms out of the Ontario gvt is terrible. That was my point. Right now for example my wife is fully vaccinated and so is her father who is in LTC. She has to go through hoops to see him. But unvaccinated staff go in every day. Unrelated, but we can’t even take him outside for air, but residents who smoke can.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Remius

Some may, or may not, find this of interest.

3 May 2021

Oh, you mean the 'scam-demic' they're talking about at the rodeo in Alberta? ;)

Alberta Health Services explores legal options after hundreds attend rodeo​

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
True. But the messaging and comms out of the Ontario gvt is terrible. That was my point. Right now for example my wife is fully vaccinated and so is her father who is in LTC. She has to go through hoops to see him. But unvaccinated staff go in every day. Unrelated, but we can’t even take him outside for air, but residents who smoke can.

My Mom is in one......anyone go go outside, they encourage it, but not for a visit. Hoops?? What hoops? I can't visit at all in person, window visit or online [the staff do everything for them but I'm about computer savvy as her, so no.].....and I'm cool with it. The staff/management have been so good and proactive they've only had one resident case, early on in the pandemic with a lady who had a bloodwork appointment in Toronto.

And we are in a stay at home order......why do you think your wife is not subject to it?

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah...bad Ontario...

Oh wait...Why guidelines for what Canadians can and can't do after getting COVID-19 vaccines are still unclear

If Dr. Tam can’t figure it out (yet) and provide recommendations to the provinces, is it fair to expect the provinces to make binding decisions in a vacuum, only to likely bear the brunt of criticism once the Feds actually come up with guidance?

The US CDC came up with clear direction back on 8 March...yet Canadians are told “wait and see” by those in positions to inform.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
My Mom is in one......anyone go go outside, they encourage it, but not for a visit. Hoops?? What hoops? I can't visit at all in person, window visit or online [the staff do everything for them but I'm about computer savvy as her, so no.].....and I'm cool with it. The staff/management have been so good and proactive they've only had one resident case, early on in the pandemic with a lady who had a bloodwork appointment in Toronto.

And we are in a stay at home order......why do you think your wife is not subject to it?
She’s a designated caregiver for him. There are times when the nurses call her in to calm him down. He’s in an LTC facility not a retirement residence. That’s why.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah...bad Ontario...

Oh wait...Why guidelines for what Canadians can and can't do after getting COVID-19 vaccines are still unclear

If Dr. Tam can’t figure it out (yet) and provide recommendations to the provinces, is it fair to expect the provinces to make binding decisions in a vacuum, only to likely bear the brunt of criticism once the Feds actually come up with guidance?

The US CDC came up with clear direction back on 8 March...yet Canadians are told “wait and see” by those in positions to inform.
Fair enough. I was only relaying what I heard on the radio. But yes, Ontario has a bad comms record.