• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

lenaitch

Reaction score
The housing boom has fully caught Ottawa now. Houses are going for $150-$200k over asking. Townhouses are selling for over $700k, modest two bedroom condos have appreciated 20%+ in less than a year... It’s absolutely bananas.

We have a basement reno underway - we looked at doing it a year ago and delayed. Even just for finishing half a basement the price jumped a few thousand bucks. I can only imagine the impact on construction of a whole house.

Prices around here have gone nuts as well, as I imagine they have in many places. There is simply no supply to match the demand. If you creep realtor.ca, places are posted for a day or two, tops. Our daughter and son-in-law bought their place in a small rural subdivision outside of North Bay a couple of years ago for around $350K. A very similar house down the street went later that year for a bit more (had a garage). It just went for ~650K with no listing. They had a deck started last year. It took the contractor until the Fall to get the lumber and composite. They just learned the railing system is finally in; almost a year.
Humanity is a joke at this point, we will close entire economies because of bad flu seasons. This pandemic has only taught us one thing and that’s preserving icu admissions above anything else. Millions of people die every year due to completely preventable things like starvation, but we ignore it. Increased suicides, unemployment, people losing their livelihoods, drug overdoses, children growing up socially inept, all do not matter. Preserve the hospitals! We can’t over task our healthcare workers! People who have lived their lives and in death care homes have a greater priority of preserving their lives than the rest of society. Canada’s pandemic response: one step forward, two steps back.
I won't rehash the numbers of infections and mortality because they have been presented many time on many platforms, but to equate this pandemic as simply "a bad flu season" is simply wrong.

To imply that, since all the other social ills haven't been completely eradicated, then they do not matter and have been ignored, is wrong as well.

So the issue of vulnerability and mortality to the virus should have no impact? I thought the goal, such as there has been one, has been to protect those at the greater risk of, you know, dying, notwithstanding their value to the economy. Perhaps 20-somethings now showing up in ICUs should be applauded as a victory for equity. Perhaps we need something like Logan's Run, where we all get a chip that triggers the age at which we no longer deserves society's attention.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The housing boom has fully caught Ottawa now. Houses are going for $150-$200k over asking. Townhouses are selling for over $700k, modest two bedroom condos have appreciated 20%+ in less than a year... It’s absolutely bananas.

We have a basement reno underway - we looked at doing it a year ago and delayed. Even just for finishing half a basement the price jumped a few thousand bucks. I can only imagine the impact on construction of a whole house.
I’m in a relatively new housing area. My build cost just under 600k two years ago, new build. Same build in a less desirable area is now going for 850k. A house on my street sold for 1.1 million. This is not a million dollar street. Now people are using PVC for decks because it’s easier and cheaper than getting lumber.

The OTTAWA market is insane.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I’m in a relatively new housing area. My build cost just under 600k two years ago, new build. Same build in a less desirable area is now going for 850k. A house on my street sold for 1.1 million. This is not a million dollar street. Now people are using PVC for decks because it’s easier and cheaper than getting lumber.

The OTTAWA market is insane.
Same. We built four years ago, and just a few streets over it’s still going on on a huge scale. Your figures could basically be quotes of mine. It’s insane.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Same. We built four years ago, and just a few streets over it’s still going on on a huge scale. Your figures could basically be quotes of mine. It’s insane.
And we are hoping to get out of here in 2022, when the insanity will translate into a nice cheque into our bank account. Bring on the insane. :LOL:

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
And we are hoping to get out of here in 2022, when the insanity will translate into a nice cheque into our bank account. Bring on the insane. :LOL:
You should make out like a bandit. Depending on where you go it could work out extremely well

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
Other side of the coin - I just refi'd the house from 3.62% to 1.94 to pay off debt, new windows and doors, and siding....and some investment.. That is basically free money

Quirky

Reaction score
I thought the goal, such as there has been one, has been to protect those at the greater risk of, you know, dying, notwithstanding their value to the economy.

What does protecting seniors have anything to do with lockdowns and restrictions. It's about time people start taking personal responsibility, don't want to chance getting infected...STAY HOME! I still see seniors who can barely move out in the middle of the day in crowded stores. This is who we are trying to protect, those who just don't care or are ignorant? It's been over a year of this gross government and 'expert' incompetence, my generations mental, physical and financial well being is more important than protecting those two don't want protection. Their lives are in their hands now. They had their life, it's our turn now.

Perhaps 20-somethings now showing up in ICUs should be applauded as a victory for equity.

Yeah, ICUs are just overrun with 20-somethings, right? Ok. How many untold millions of 20, 30-somethings will be dependent on social assistance, can't find a job, die from ODs etc. Lets bulldoze the lives of millions because a few hundred are unlucky and have poor reactions. Survival rate is still over 99.9% in children and young adults, if this statistic triggers anyone, perhaps a doomsday cult would be suited for you.

Mick

Reaction score
What does protecting seniors have anything to do with lockdowns and restrictions. It's about time people start taking personal responsibility, don't want to chance getting infected...STAY HOME! I still see seniors who can barely move out in the middle of the day in crowded stores. This is who we are trying to protect, those who just don't care or are ignorant? It's been over a year of this gross government and 'expert' incompetence, my generations mental, physical and financial well being is more important than protecting those two don't want protection. Their lives are in their hands now. They had their life, it's our turn now.

Yeah, ICUs are just overrun with 20-somethings, right? Ok. How many untold millions of 20, 30-somethings will be dependent on social assistance, can't find a job, die from ODs etc. Lets bulldoze the lives of millions because a few hundred are unlucky and have poor reactions. Survival rate is still over 99.9% in children and young adults, if this statistic triggers anyone, perhaps a doomsday cult would be suited for you.
Do YOU still have a job? Are YOU still healthy? If so, then what's the big deal? It's YOUR turn!!!

No point in wasting all that energy worrying about others. Their lives - their problems!!!

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I still see seniors who can barely move out in the middle of the day in crowded stores.
So seniors don't need to get food, clothing, or services? Maybe they also need to get their phones fixed or what not. Many of them don't have support networks to do that sort of stuff for them.

lenaitch

Reaction score
Believe me, i'm not alone in this.

Sadly, I agree, but I suppose generational narcissism isn't anything new.

With climate change, it's seems it's going to become an increasing challenge to push all of us old, useless folks onto ice floes.

Per Public Health Ontario, ~17% of all Covid-related hospital admission are under age 49. I couldn't find any table showing any change in ICU/age data, other than a couple of media articles that said half of Regina's Covid ICU admissions are now under 40 and a Reuters article that said 40% of Ontario's are under 60.

- From Johns Hopkins:

"Since December 2019, COVID-19 has killed more people in the U.S. than influenza has in the last five years."

- From this article:

The lethality rate of influenza is in the range of 0.1% (complicated by the fact that influenza is not a reportable disease in all jurisdiction). Covid has a rate of 3.4% (published in Aug 2020 before the rise of the variants).

Called Covid just 'a bad flu season' is like calling WWI just a bad domestic in the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Per Public Health Ontario, ~17% of all Covid-related hospital admission are under age 49. I couldn't find any table showing any change in ICU/age data, other than a couple of media articles that said half of Regina's Covid ICU admissions are now under 40 and a Reuters article that said 40% of Ontario's are under 60.

Where does it break down the hospitalization or ICU admission per age? I keep fairly good tabs on the Ontario data, and that information is not in the Daily or Weekly Epi summaries. There's also no median age given for case fatalities.

lenaitch

Reaction score
Where does it break down the hospitalization or ICU admission per age? I keep fairly good tabs on the Ontario data, and that information is not in the Daily or Weekly Epi summaries. There's also no median age given for case fatalities.

Oops, sorry; Canada-wide data.

Page 16:

But this PHO table shows similar data:

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I've overheard a nunber of conversations from people who are holding out for certain vaccinations over other ones.

Government completely shit the bed with Covid19 in Canada but I'm sure this isn't helping the situation.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
All kinds of people here at work who are discussing on how spouses/family cancelled appointments rather then take the Astra.