• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
"October 2009, the town was declared the "Most Liveable Community in the World" (under 20,000 population) at the international Livcom Awards."

Sounds like a great place to retire.
That was my plan. No longer a possibility.

HiTechComms

Reaction score
Yeah well inflation is a darned thing. People keep blaming the market for housing prices. Except for the fact the people that benefit from high housing prices are not capitalists but governments. Government dictate prices and the higher they are the more taxes they can harvest and this is doubly true for BC and name transfer tax. Rob Paul to pay Peter.

Quirky

Reaction score
You can still have a piece of land and a really nice new house build under $500k......if you don’t mind the prairies.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Ottawa has continued to spike like crazy too. We contracted a new build in January 2017, took delivery in October that year. The value of the house has gone up probably 35-40% in that time, it's absolutely unreal.

I wonder what's going to happen with Post Living Differential if Ottawa has been the baseline, but now this is happening?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
"October 2009, the town was declared the "Most Liveable Community in the World" (under 20,000 population) at the international Livcom Awards."

Sounds like a great place to retire.

And it's the home port of the Beachcombers!

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ottawa has continued to spike like crazy too. We contracted a new build in January 2017, took delivery in October that year. The value of the house has gone up probably 35-40% in that time, it's absolutely unreal.

I wonder what's going to happen with Post Living Differential if Ottawa has been the baseline, but now this is happening?
Yup, when I sold my last house in the NCR, I made just under 40%. Only owned the place a couple years. Feel bad for new people posted in...

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I live in the Fairview neighborhood of Halifax. Its not the best area, but it is steadily improving. My wife is the VP in the neighborhood school and the dockyard is a short drive. Anyways, Half a duplex directly across from my driveway went up for sale in asking 320K. 13 Offers in the first hour and sold for 502K. 😳

This city's housing market is exploding. Nothing stays for sale for more than a couple days. And sellers a listing their houses now to spur on bidding wars.

My wife and I were going to sell but we figured we are close to being mortgage free, and we'd just spend another 4-500K on something else. So we took a home equity LOC and are renovating instead.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
My wife and I were going to sell but we figured we are close to being mortgage free, and we'd just spend another 4-500K on something else. So we took a home equity LOC and are renovating instead.
Smart move, HT! Amazing how many people do try the ‘out of the pan, into the fire’ housing flip in such times. You’ll be much better off....just remember to prioritize renovations: kitchen > ensuite / bathrooms > laundry > open/functional space > pool... 😉

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Smart move, HT! Amazing how many people do try the ‘out of the pan, into the fire’ housing flip in such times. You’ll be much better off....just remember to prioritize renovations: kitchen > ensuite / bathrooms > laundry > open/functional space > pool... 😉

We're doing small things now a little bit at a time. We just converted from home heating to propane, re-did the living room, added a breakfast "nook" (which is apparently a thing lol) to the kitchen... Next up is a new roof, detached garage and a second driveway.

We aren't terribly concerned about the "Bathrooms and Kitchens" renos method/ideas. Were staying here. So were going to make it the house we want. And I want a detached garage, damnit lol ;)

Its also a story and half, so there isn't much room to do anything on the top level outside of dormers or build up. Which we don't really want.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
I live in the Fairview neighborhood of Halifax. Its not the best area, but it is steadily improving. My wife is the VP in the neighborhood school and the dockyard is a short drive. Anyways, Half a duplex directly across from my driveway went up for sale in asking 320K. 13 Offers in the first hour and sold for 502K. 😳

This city's housing market is exploding. Nothing stays for sale for more than a couple days. And sellers a listing their houses now to spur on bidding wars.

The more I see some people in my network stress about money, usually as a result of vanity and a need to keep up with the Jones', the more I find untold value in being really happy with what I already have.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I'm getting the vaccine Monday. The powers that be figured out some of us are older than 60, working in a jail that houses COVID + inmates - and a number of our staff had to isolate etc in November/December. The effects are still being felt - OT is high.

And the powers that be want to hold sick time against the employees despite many of them being told to isolate.

HiTechComms

Reaction score
Some modelling is predicting a third wave in Ontario.

What about the 4th wave and the 5th wave. We are celebrating 1 year of 14 days of flattening the curve. Find it funny how people don't understand the basic math of "curves" and what flattening would mean. USA is opening and we are closing more oh well the government will print more money. Money Printer will go BRRRR for ever.

Funny how Cases are now people that test positive and not hospitalized. This was the previous definition of cases. The goal posts have been moved so far that they are playing a different game. We had more overdose deaths in BC then Covid and government did squat about opiod for years.. Does any one believe any of this fear mongering stuff any more?

On another note.
I wonder when I can start demanding a full PPE suit from the government because I might catch the sniffles. Oh wait, I did for 2 days.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
What about the 4th wave and the 5th wave. We are celebrating 1 year of 14 days of flattening the curve. Find it funny how people don't understand the basic math of "curves" and what flattening would mean. USA is opening and we are closing more oh well the government will print more money. Money Printer will go BRRRR for ever.

Funny how Cases are now people that test positive and not hospitalized. This was the previous definition of cases. The goal posts have been moved so far that they are playing a different game. We had more overdose deaths in BC then Covid and government did squat about opiod for years.. Does any one believe any of this fear mongering stuff any more?

On another note.
I wonder when I can start demanding a full PPE suit from the government because I might catch the sniffles. Oh wait, I did for 2 days.

Or, alternatively, we as a society did what was asked of us, and it worked. We ate a big shit sandwich but saved the ICUs. We appear to have one more lap to run as vaccines race more infectious variants, but hopefully that’s the last of it.

I get it that you don’t really care if my parents catch it and die, or if my friends working in the hospitals completely burn out, good for you. Ultimately, you’re casting snide derision at public health modeling and advice that was ultimately fairly in line with reality.

Last edited:

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Or, alternatively, we as a society did what was asked of us, and it worked. We ate a big shit sandwich but saved the ICUs. We appear to have one more lap to run as vaccines race more infectious variants, but hopefully that’s the last of it.

I get it that you don’t really care if my parents catch it and die, or if my friends working in the hospitals completely burn out, good for you. Ultimately, you’re casting snide derision at public health modeling and advice that was ultimately fairly in line with reality.
Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Quirky

Reaction score
or if my friends working in the hospitals completely burn out,

I keep hearing this everywhere. Who exactly thinks that choosing a career in healthcare will be smooth sailing and stress free? That’s like someone who becomes a pilot knowing they hate flying through turbulence. It’s going to happen. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

lenaitch

Reaction score

On another note.
You may find common cause with this doctor then:

And now she is apparently suing her detractors, including the OMA, to the tune of $6.8Mn for sullying her reputation:

She has a lawyer with a fun history.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I keep hearing this everywhere. Who exactly thinks that choosing a career in healthcare will be smooth sailing and stress free? That’s like someone who becomes a pilot knowing they hate flying through turbulence. It’s going to happen. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
What are you going on about? I doubt anyone signed up for ‘smooth sailing and stress free’. But neither did anyone anticipate a year under pandemic conditions, dealing with the worst of it (in stifling PPE) all day at work, badly under resourced, and then having to deal with all the same lockdown and isolation crap as the rest of us.

The front line healthcare workers and personal support workers in long term care homes have borne the absolute worst of this. My hat is off to them. You might want to humble up a bit and be grateful you haven’t spent the past year in the conditions they have.