All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yes...the old stop the testing and reporting and the whole Covid thing will go away strategy!

Tell that to my sister-in-law who's SW Ontario hospital has doubled it's Covid admissions in the last week and are having to take overflow patients from the GTA. They had meetings this past week to discuss the protocols of triaging patients to determine who gets treatment and who doesn't when (as is projected for February) they may no longer have the capacity to treat every admission.

Or my niece who tells me that Sick Kids is having to take in patients from multiple other hospitals who are no longer able to admit pediatric cases as they are having to use those beds to house Covid patients. The pediatric ICU unit is already over capacity and they are expecting it to get worse.

So maybe these people are going and getting tested because they are being responsible citizens and want to ensure that they aren't passing on what could in some cases be a deadly illness to people that may not be fortunate enough to get a mild infection from the virus, or to hopefully help to prevent our health care system from becoming overwhelmed?
Right. Politics aside, that is the reality for front-line Operations,
CBC Toronto on Twitter: "Monday marks one year since the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Canada, in a patient who came to Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital after returning from Wuhan, China. We spoke to two Toronto paramedics as they reflected on the last year. Read more: https://t.co/CoY6duy7ix https://t.co/MUoZsYuPlm" / Twitter

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
The article below is concerning.

Canada's vaccine deliveries further threatened as Europe mulls export controls (msn.com)

And I have been mulling how the friction between global good, altruism, business, and national interests would roll out. This may be an early indication of the decisions that politicians will get forced into, in many cases for self (and Party) preservation.

We have to be able to help ourselves, as a nation, to overcome all types of obstacles. This latest crisis is a good reminder of that 'eternal and perpetual' fact:

“We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow.”​

― Lord Palmerston

lenaitch

Reaction score
Maybe they were having trouble getting the microchip to implant the other way:

Would make testing at airports quite interesting.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

China has been reverse engineering things for decades now, no surprise here.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
China has been reverse engineering things for decades now, no surprise here.
It's more accurate than the other methods?? Ummmmm...

Granted Covid tests aren't particularly reliable. I'd still take the brain swab over the anal swab any day. 😬

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
It's more accurate than the other methods?? Ummmmm...

Granted Covid tests aren't particularly reliable. I'd still take the brain swab over the anal swab any day. 😬
I'd take the stab swab, the 12 gauge shotgun swab, the shave off my skin swab, and/or the cut off an appendage with a chainsaw with no anesthetic swab first. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I have to stand six feet from anybody else, both wearing three layers of HEPA filtration in order to not give them the COVIDS, but the only reliable way to see if I have it is to bore down to the basement suite of my sinuses with an alien probe that was designed for a completely different cavity. All that to detect a disease that, apparently, one of the symptoms to look for is that I don’t have any symptoms. Ducking stools to follow shortly. The self isolation is pretty nice, though.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I have to stand six feet from anybody else, both wearing three layers of HEPA filtration in order to not give them the COVIDS, but the only reliable way to see if I have it is to bore down to the basement suite of my sinuses with an alien probe that was designed for a completely different cavity. All that to detect a disease that, apparently, one of the symptoms to look for is that I don’t have any symptoms. Ducking stools to follow shortly. The self isolation is pretty nice, though.
That was the most elegantly phrased description of this that I possibly could have read :ROFLMAO: Copying this when talking topeople at work about it

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score

Probably the only way to access the nasal cavity of politicians, who seem to be the only ones travelling nowadays...

Humphrey Bogart

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, as long as they don't annex the Sudetenland this time....

EU threatens war-time occupation of vaccine makers as AstraZeneca crisis spirals​

Invoking powers that would allow the European Council to seize intellectual property and data from pharmaceutical companies would be madness

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...0r43__f-3llON6mPnMO1xmemKykMPbBTbVlM21a5293iQ
I'm sure the bumbling bureaucracy that is the EU will do a far better job managing an industry they have absolutely no understanding of.

Imagine if they did this here.... we would have a Vaccine in about a decade with about 10 sub-committees and studies commissioned beforehand.

😄

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
In the news,

Never forget ...that the people who are accused of participating in the 9/11 attacks will get the COVID-19 vaccine at Gitmo.

Didn't have OJ getting stabbed by a white woman on my BINGO card either.
He Tweeted a pic of a nurse giving him his Covid shot.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
In the news,

Never forget ...that the people who are accused of participating in the 9/11 attacks will get the COVID-19 vaccine at Gitmo.

Didn't have OJ getting stabbed by a white woman on my BINGO card either.
He Tweeted a pic of a nurse giving him his Covid shot.

Good. They're testing the 'first draft' for us :)

(Never be first, never be last, and never, ever, volunteer for anything :) )

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this Covid thing will be a big deal or not but quarantining travelers and suspending flights seems like a great start.

Canada to quarantine travelers, suspend flights south​

*including making it mandatory for travelers to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada and suspending airline service to Mexico and all Caribbean destinations

*“Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said.

Humphrey Bogart

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this Covid thing will be a big deal or not but quarantining travelers and suspending flights seems like a great start.

Canada to quarantine travelers, suspend flights south​

*including making it mandatory for travelers to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada and suspending airline service to Mexico and all Caribbean destinations

*“Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said.

What they should have done from the very beginning.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
What they should have done from the very beginning.
It's just ironic that despite 'closing borders' - they've actually been pretty open. And flights from all over the world have been landing here daily, with absolutely zero oversight on whether or not people were quarantining or not.

Now, a year or so later, they decide to actually cancel flights & enforce mandatory quarantining. You know, the things they should have done when they announced the 'closed border' - which was BS for the most part.

I also find it ironic that government controls are clamping down now that the virus is so widespread it's basically just accepted that it's with us for good now, to various degrees, and is something we'll just have to learn to live with & adapt to -- they clamp down now that there is a vaccine being distributed.

Like Humphrey said, and many others - this would have made a lot more sense at the beginning, rather than now near the end. shrug

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, rant time...

So let me get this straight...

If someone returns from a trip & presents a negative Covid test upon arrival, they still have to stay at a hotel at their expense for 14 days.

But if a politician does the same, especially during a critical period in which the vaccines are arriving & being distributed to the provinces - they either get fired or asked to resign. If fired, they get a severance package which most of us could only dream of -- so their 'punishment' is a wad of money??

Must be nice to be in a different club than the rest of us. Discourage travel, only punish those that get exposed to the public, and then clamp down once all the politicians have taken their winter vacations. Great job GoC...

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if this has been ready to launch for weeks or months but the government was just waiting for, you know, a convenient time.