• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Engineers & Combat Engineer Parachutists

ArmyBuck,

In your opinion, how did the "experiment" of Regt Recce work in 2 CER?  I've heard mixed reviews.

Dive Army!

Do reserve engineers get basic para too?
and can they take a jump course, or is it a Reg force only course?

Sapper6 said:
... how did the "experiment" of Regt Recce work in 2 CER?   I've heard mixed reviews...

Probably as well as it did in 4 CER, which wasn't all that great. I don't recall that idea being tried with 1 CER (in our 3 1/2 CER days), which given the personalities involved at that time, leads me to believe it wasn't very effective.

Maybe Kat could answer? Or any other ex 4 CER schwein ;D

As far as I can recall, being an old, played out CFL, we never got enough jump time in 4CER to make the experiment a reality.  Don't forget, our role over there was as a CMBG, we were supposed to be a speed bump until the main force arrived.  We had a few COs over there who lost sight of that fact, and were ready to spearhead the drive to Moscow.  A behind the lines insertion was really not a requirement for us, as we were a glorified obstacle only...IMHO

CHIMO,  Kat

aspiring_recruit said:
Do reserve engineers get basic para too?
and can they take a jump course, or is it a Reg force only course?
Reservists can get the basic parachutist course.  It is much less common than for regular force engineers, but the same is true for any reserve MOS getting a parachute course.

Student Sapper said:
It is also my understanding that because there were not enough Engineers, the Infantry had to carry our kit in Afghanistan.

Having been one of the Sapper Leaders on Op APOLLO in 2002 I can tell you that no Infantry soldiers carried out kit.   What they did carry was engineer ammo, particularly on the operation on Tora Bora where ~ 2500 kg of explosives was brought in by Chinooks and the Sappers were too busy setting charges that they didn't have time to haul the ammo up or down the mountain.

I always wondered who was supporting who on that particular mission.   :)

S6

I would love to see the return of the Jump Tp ( I served from  91-93 2 tp Para , Larry Brophy was my section comd, and Pumpkin-head was the tp WO). I can't see it happening anytime soon as there aren't enough senior officers in NDHQ that would support it.  :skull: :threat: >:D

All members of the CF have, no matter what trade ( who meet the medical requirements and pass the PT test) can apply for the  Basic Para course. It is true that the majority of the positions go to the combat arms, primarily the infantry as they still have hard PARA positions to fill.
Having said all that work on your chip ups !! 5 or 6 won't cut it. Good luck  brother.  :cdn: :salute: 

No , Larry got into some trouble when we were in Kuwait in 92 ( those who were know what I'm talking about, and I will not elaborate here) .
He got out shortly after our return to Canada, haven't seen him since the fall of 93. He was a great Engr and an excellent leader who taught me allot about taking care of your tp's.  :cdn: :salute:

doublearr said:
It's nice to see there are still those who are interested in pursuing the Art of the Warrior.   Once you have fininshed all your trades trg.   Stay fit and then put your name in for the Basic Parachutist Crse.   If you CoC deems you are able to complete the course successfully , you'll be tested   by PSP .   If succesful you will be sent to CPC to conduct Basic Parachute Trg.   Good Luck.

Airborne Ubique!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a question..............why do Snr NCO's who are schooled in the "Art of the Warrior" suddenly turn down jumps when they are offered?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CHIMO!!!!! said:
Just a question..............why do Snr NCO's who are schooled in the "Art of the Warrior" suddenly turn down jumps when they are offered?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or like, get a HB/HC and never use it. Stinking badge hunters. Looking for more crap to hang off their uniform.  :threat:

An aside: Do they make divers take the badge down if they rescind themselves? They use to, do they still?

SprCForr said:
Or like, get a HB/HC and never use it. Stinking badge hunters. Looking for more crap to hang off their uniform.   :threat:

An aside: Do they make divers take the badge down if they rescind themselves? They use to, do they still?

I know one guy who rescinded his diver qual after swiss air and got to keep his badge as he had been a diver for quite some time.

MCG said:
Did the Airborne Regt have a Pnr Pl in the Cbt Sp Cdo?   Were Pnr formally integrated into the Regt in other ways?

There was no pioneer platoon in the Regiment from 1988 thru to 1995, first 2 CER, then the Airborne Engineer troop took care of it. in the Airborne battle group days of the SSF (special Service Force) there was a large Airborne... I will use the term remar, though that is probably not quite right, anyway there were a lot of maroon berets in 2 CER.There was a field troop, a good chunk of 25 support sqn, as well as elements within 28 and rhq. I would venture to say that there probably was close to a sqns worth of pers, or at least a sqn in the light engineering role that we required to support an airborne Regiment. The orbat for 2 cer was different then, as the SSF was not mechanized at all, except for the lynx troop of the  8 Hussars, RCD. ( A joke) we were boot mounted. Our vehicles were in support of 2 brigade which overlapped the SSF but was not the same thing.We had an Airdroppable heavy equipment troop, an air droppable raft ( powered by 4 x 50  hp? outboard motors), Air droppable water supply system, and a bunch of air droppable hard chargin, fire pissin' sunsabitches who threw " Beer buttles inna shacks" and had a legbeater that passed from generation to generation.

Take care, warriors

and a bunch of air droppable hard chargin, fire pissin' sunsabitches who threw " Beer buttles inna shacks" and had a legbeater that passed from generation to generation.

hey gully i remember thoses day i used to have to go out my window to take a piss because i didn't dare open my door with you and downs across the hall from me

1 CER has essentially designated 4 Tp as the "Light Tp".  This does not entail any differences in eqpt or tasks, but they do have the role of supporting 3 PPCLI (including the para coy).  They get priority on jump crses and related hard-core type activities and generally try and maintain at least one sect capable of jumping (i.e. all pers trained). 

E39G said:
No , Larry got into some trouble when we were in Kuwait in 92 ( those who were know what I'm talking about, and I will not elaborate here) .
He got out shortly after our return to Canada, haven't seen him since the fall of 93. He was a great Engr and an excellent leader who taught me allot about taking care of your tp's. :cdn: :salute:

2TP PARA  WO Kerel followed by WO Campbell. My thoughts of those days mirror those of kj_gully.
Larry is alive and kicking, living out west(when he's not de-mining in the Middle East). cheers
Airborne :salute:

CFAO 55-10

PARACHUTE BADGE
19.    A CF parachute badge may be awarded to a member of the Regular or
Reserve Force after successful completion of formal CF training or a CF
qualifying course for parachutists.
20.    Members who have received military training or courses from other
countries for which the requirements are deemed to be equivalent may be
authorized to wear the CF parachute badge subject to approval by NDHQ DLO
(Director Land Operations).
21.    A student parachutist is eligible for the award of the parachute badge
upon successful completion of the CF parachutist course.
22.    A qualified parachutist will normally forfeit the parachute badge
when:
    a.  after qualification on a CF-approved parachutist course, the
          member refuses to serve as a parachutist;

b.  the member requests to discontinue parachuting before completion
          two years of satisfactory parachute duty;

c.  after volunteering for service in the Canadian Airborne Regiment,
          the member refuses to serve there as a parachutist after
          qualification on a CF-approved parachutist course; or

d.  the member refuses to make a parachute descent at any time while
          serving in a position in an airborne unit for which the member is
          entitled to draw paratroop allowance.