• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

• Thread starter Deleted member 89807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89807

Hey guys,

I'm 28 and trying to join the reg force. In any ones personal opinion. Is that to.old to start a career in the forces? I'm sure moat of my 'peers' would be 18/19 years of age.

Definitely not!!! It's more so about physical and mental shape for sure!!

I've sailed with guys who joined at 50.  Did basic with a woman who was in her late 40's.

Hell, I'm 30 and just decided to change trades, there's no real difference.

Gsc023 said:
Hey guys,

I'm 28 and trying to join the reg force. In any ones personal opinion. Is that to.old to start a career in the forces? I'm sure moat of my 'peers' would be 18/19 years of age.

I’m in my mid 40’s and leave for BMQ in 9 days 😁

Hi, if you're minded and normaly in shape (even below normal), it will be ok for you

i did mine over 40

I left for BMQ at the age of 29.  I'm now a LS and have POs that are younger than me (sometimes), but you'd be surprised how much the "age" thing is really a non-factor for most people.  I have a Junior Tech who is old enough to be my father (the math was hard, but high-school parents are a thing, apparently) and he has no issue with people younger than him teaching him how to do his job.  It's all about your perception, and whether you choose to make your age a weakness or a strength.  I chose to use my life experiences to my advantage, and found ways to do the same jobs as the younger guys, but with a little more creativity in the execution.  End result is the same, but the execution is different.  In the end, as long as you are physically and intellectually able to do the job, there is no reason you should not attempt.

Good luck, and hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,

Rev

Thanks guys for all your input. I am 28 now but was also granted a recruit school bypass from previous service. I just found out today that I have been competition listed (I applied for reg force navy - sonar op and nci op). Just waiting for an offer now and I've been told both trades are of a high priority. Here's to hoping to a call soon!

28 is very young, I'm joining at 42!  I guess it all depends on if your chubby etc

I'm 34 and thinking about joining the reserves. I'm glad I saw this post. I feel as if I missed out on joining as I'm in my 30s...

I don't know what's making me feel older.... realizing how much more work it is to get my cardio back up or listening to someone the same age as one of my children asking if they're too old. 

Please excuse me... I need my shawl. And tea. And to get my tail feathers onto the treadmill. And get off my lawn.  ;D

A bit late in replying, but I started BMQ April 2018 at the age of 46.  I am now posted to a base on BTL awaiting training, and it will be at least another 2 years before I am minimally trained at the basic level of my trade.  Probably another few years before I am trained for my field of expertise, and I have mandatory retirement in 13 years!  So my military career will be relatively short, especially compared to had I started at 28!

Well, I'm 30 and starting basic in 4 weeks. This will be the biggest change in my life in 10 years. 10 years ago I moved to Canada. :p

I'm leaving for BMOQ in a few weeks at the age of 49. It's all about motivation and determination. Give it your all and everything will work out fine.

I'd echo what others said, I don't think there's a "too old" so long as you're in good shape mentally and physically.

I'm just waiting for my references to be checked as part of my own (re)enlistment process. I frankly think I will be a better solider now that I'm 40 than I was at 19 due to maturity and also due to the fact that I'm actually in better shape now since I regularly go to the gym for the last 10 years whereas as 19 I didn't think I needed to.

Gcnav said:
Hey guys,

I'm 33, waiting to hear back on my medical. I believe that if it's what you really want, go for it!

I will be 31 in March and have applied and waiting on my medical to be approved and hopefully soon after a job offer. I have no issue with being an older recruit its all about your perception of it.  We have more life experience which I think is an advantage over the younger recruits. 

I'm applying at 30. I reckon the short hair will hide my gray hair. Pay attention to the pension part though, that part becomes more relevant to us people.

M

mjmtaylor said:
I'm applying at 30. I reckon the short hair will hide my gray hair. Pay attention to the pension part though, that part becomes more relevant to us people.

Geezus, guys!
I am 49, it will be the 3rd time I will do military stuff, I am doing swiming and jogging, and I fell I am great. Don't freak out, guys!

mjmtaylor, I didn't understood the point about the pension. Can you point me out on some more tips about that?

Back