• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

Best I can do is 50% - Trudeau

Ottawa closes special Afghan immigration program to new applicants

Less than halfway to its goal of bringing 40,000 Afghans to Canada, the federal government is no longer taking new referrals for the special immigration program meant to prioritize former employees of the Armed Forces or Canadian government and their families.

CBC News has learned the government is processing the last of the 18,000 applications filled out by Afghans hoping to come here through the special immigration program. Advocates for refugees say the decision to wind down the program abandons Afghans desperate to come to this country.

The program was set up nearly a year ago, a few weeks before Kabul fell to the Taliban in August, 2021 and before the government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised to bring 40,000 Afghans to safety here.

Shameful…

I have heard one one case where an interpreter was part of the pre-Taliban diplomatic corps in Canada, and GAC actually told them they couldn’t apply for amnesty under SIP and would have to…get ready for bureaucratic stupidity of the highest order…leave Canada and RETURN to now Taliban-controlled Afghanistan and reapply to SIP.

I believe the interpreter thought he and his family had a better chance of living by giving up any priority previously promised by Canda, and to apply to the refugee program, instead of facing likely torture or death for he and his family at the hands of the Taliban.

I can’t help but think that both our politicians and some senior bureaucrats in GAC and IRCC need a good smack upside the head… 😡

Shameful…

I have heard one one case where an interpreter was part of the pre-Taliban diplomatic corps in Canada, and GAC actually told them they couldn’t apply for amnesty under SIP and would have to…get ready for bureaucratic stupidity of the highest order…leave Canada and RETURN to now Taliban-controlled Afghanistan and reapply to SIP.

I believe the interpreter thought he and his family had a better chance of living by giving up any priority previously promised by Canda, and to apply to the refugee program, instead of facing likely torture or death for he and his family at the hands of the Taliban.

I can’t help but think that both our politicians and some senior bureaucrats in GAC and IRCC need a good smack upside the head… 😡
It’s blatant effing stupidity is what it is. Firing these assholes would be the best COA.

I can’t help but think race and Color have a lot to do with it. Add to that the apparent institutional loathing some Federal government departments have towards the CAF - it sounds like a big “fuck you CAF and your interpreters” .

I’m angry 😡

It’s blatant effing stupidity is what it is. Firing these assholes would be the best COA.

I can’t help but think race and Color have a lot to do with it. Add to that the apparent institutional loathing some Federal government departments have towards the CAF - it sounds like a big “fuck you CAF and your interpreters” .

I’m angry 😡
@OldSolduer I think you may be giving more credit to the bureaucrats than they deserve, I sense less that they are capable and vindictive, but rather inept and lazy and simply collecting a fat government paycheck while not truly caring about others whose lives may very well depend on them. That is where the shameful nature comes into play.

Putting this here in the Canadian thread rather than starting a new UK thread...

UK Special Forces are being accused of vetoing the applications of former Afghan Special Forces operators that worked alongside them. The suggestion is that it was to protect UK SF members from possible war crimes prosecution. The public inquiry looking into potential war crimes can compel testimony from witnesses that are in the UK but can't compel witnesses that are outside the UK. It's thought that some of these Afghan soldiers would be able to provide substantial evidence of war crimes having been committed.

Putting this here in the Canadian thread rather than starting a new UK thread...

UK Special Forces are being accused of vetoing the applications of former Afghan Special Forces operators that worked alongside them. The suggestion is that it was to protect UK SF members from possible war crimes prosecution. The public inquiry looking into potential war crimes can compel testimony from witnesses that are in the UK but can't compel witnesses that are outside the UK. It's thought that some of these Afghan soldiers would be able to provide substantial evidence of war crimes having been committed.

Similar issues in the US:

They helped the CIA in Afghanistan. Now they’re suffering in America.​

With those missions, though, came reports of human rights abuses and potential war crimes by the Zero Units. In 2019, Human Rights Watch documented 14 cases in which Zero Unit soldiers allegedly tortured or killed civilians during attacks in Taliban-controlled areas that were based on faulty intelligence.

Back