• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AF DEU's out of date?

brian_k

Inactive
Reaction score
I am curious what peoples opinion are of the AF DEU's. I have read a couple of interesting post regarding DEU's.
http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/47463.0.html
http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/36583.0.html

It seems to me the the uniform has some tradition to it but it needs to be updated. I think the material has a lower quality look to it because when you look closer the threads aren't one solid color and could be slightly darker. Also I find the AF uniforms somewhat plain compared to the army and navy.

Just so I don't get slammed on this post I want to state that I like the uniform and am proud to wear it but think it could use improvement.

To be honest, for the amount i wear the AF DEU in a year, i dont worry about it too much.

To be honest, for the amount i wear the AF DEU in a year, i dont worry about it too much.
I'm just curious, obviously there is more important things to spend military time and money on.

brian_k said:
I'm just curious, obviously there is more important things to spend military time and money on.

I didnt mean to say that i didnt care because theres more important things to spend money on. What i was saying is that i'm not worried about what the DEUs look like as i wear them maybe twice a year.

This is the reason why people mistake us for bus drivers.

I say either bring back the RCAF, and with it, the RCAF traditional DEUs; or, give us more bling.  ie. collar dogs...  Yes, the Army uniforms look better than ours, and I think it for this reason.  The only diff between AF and Army DEUs are the collar dogs, and the epaulettes avec branch ensignia.  Goes a long way in making it look more like a military uniform.

We allowed wearing the beret with teh DEU or is it only the Burger King hat?

Beret w/ AF DEU is permitted when wearing Dress Order 3. Otherwise, it's the wedge.

Well I wear the AF DEU and am proud to do so as I am in a purple trade...
I think that going back to the RCAF DEU would be a great thing too...tradition!!!!

My understanding as to why we don't wear alot of 'bling' is that it is not acceptable around an airfield...FOD...please correct me if this is incorrect...
One could say too that the aircraft one is attached to is enough 'bling'!!

Take care
HL

Hippie said:
.....or, give us more bling.  

You want bling? Deploy.

There's always room for a few more sailors and zoomies getting dusty in A'stan.  ;D

Hippie said:
I say either bring back the RCAF, and with it, the RCAF traditional DEUs; or, give us more bling.  ie. collar dogs...   Yes, the Army uniforms look better than ours, and I think it for this reason.  The only diff between AF and Army DEUs are the collar dogs, and the epaulettes avec branch ensignia.  Goes a long way in making it look more like a military uniform.

RCAF uniforms didn't have collar dogs or shoulder straps so you've got to decide : either you get a "traditionnal" uniform or more bling but not both at the same time.

The only major differences between our current DEU and the RCAF Service Dress is the colour and the cloth belt.

Dunno why you'd want to update it.  Blueberry blue polyester mass produced suits are always in style.

Honestly, the AF DEU's look about as sharp as a spoon.  Luckily, most of us wear the thing maybe twice a year and last had it tailored 5 years ago, so the fit tends to match the finish.

Shhh, don't give them any ideas.

btw, a belt would really suck

How about what the USAF was looking at...

http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123020472

While the high-collars are pretty sharp, wouldn't they be a bit warm in the summer?  They'd be perfect in the winter though.

Somewhat-related question...one of the international students on my course asked me why non-Aircrew trades have their badges on the left side (over nametag) v. the right side.  Anyone know the historical reason for that?

Dimsum said:
While the high-collars are pretty sharp, wouldn't they be a bit warm in the summer?  They'd be perfect in the winter though.

Somewhat-related question...one of the international students on my course asked me why non-Aircrew trades have their badges on the left side (over nametag) v. the right side.  Anyone know the historical reason for that?

Hmmm, just a few short years ago when I was Air Force (and non-aircrew) my badge was over my right side and my nametag. Me thinks you have your sides mixed up.

Trade badges to the right side of the DEU, specialty enviornmental qualifications to the left. Same holds for environmental quals for other enviornments as well. Para wings, SAR, submariner etc all to the left.

Hot Lips said:
My understanding as to why we don't wear alot of 'bling' is that it is not acceptable around an airfield...FOD...please correct me if this is incorrect...[/is quote]

FOD has nothing to do with it. The only things not on the current blue rag that were on the green uniform before Brian Mulroney decided to waste millions when we were short of ammunition, fuel, parts, and other real necessities are collar insignia and the Air Command badge. There are still medals, ribbons, name tags, buttons, and assorted other gewgaws occasionally added.

In the twenty-nine years since I started flying, I have yet to hear of an aircraft lost or damaged due to somebody's insignia wandering into an inappropriate place. I may have missed something, but nothing major.

Collar insignia and the Air Command badge disappeared because the RCAF didn't wear such things on its Service Dress (the RCAF never wore "DEU").

The RCAF didn't live on "Wings", either; it lived on "RCAF Stations". Wings are the air equivalent of Brigades, not infrastructure. This was a typically misbegotten attempt to re-invent history.

The RCAF also did not paint everything blue, or suffer from an immature and endless identity crisis leading to constant style-over-substance syndrome.

Ahhh Loachman just wait until you see the super-top-secret new boots that I have for you -- lovely shades of blue cadpat they are.   :-*

(Wonder how long news of this "new kit item" takes to make it down to me in an O gp ...)  >:D

ArmyVern said:
lovely shades of blue cadpat they are.

Like I believe that.

I'm sure that some idiot with a blue fetish in the 1 CAD A3 Dumb Ideas shop (Howd'ya like them new nametags? N -- i -- c --e., eh?") would consider it a good waste of a few more million, though, just like the pills that they're going to start issuing to turn our bodily wastes blue.

Should it happen, I'll start polishing my boots again just to cover it up - and start a laugh-at-anyone-wearing-them campaign.

Back