• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Thanks for the great thread. I'm hoping to be selected for AESOP in the new year as a new recruit. I live on Vancouver Island and I have all of my family here. My hope is that I would be posted to Comox for LRP. How likely would this be?

If my path was Cyclones, how likely is it that I would be posted to Pat Bay? Am I more likely to end up posted elsewhere or moved more frequently in this role?

Any insights into the current training schedule?

It's anyone's guess which fleet and coast you'd end up on with a LOT of variables. Sure you get to request your preference but at the end of the day, you go where your posting message says. LRP West (Comox) could need people if/when you graduate out Winnipeg...or it might be completely full. It's impossible to say, especially this far out.

As I've mentioned, the possibility to remain in one spot longer definitely increases either in Shearwater or Greenwood NS simply because there are more Sqn/units there an AES Op can be posted to if MH or LRP. But, there are some people who get west coast and manage to get some roots down, too.

Training schedule....for?

It's anyone's guess which fleet and coast you'd end up on with a LOT of variables. Sure you get to request your preference but at the end of the day, you go where your posting message says. LRP West (Comox) could need people if/when you graduate out Winnipeg...or it might be completely full. It's impossible to say, especially this far out.

As I've mentioned, the possibility to remain in one spot longer definitely increases either in Shearwater or Greenwood NS simply because there are more Sqn/units there an AES Op can be posted to if MH or LRP. But, there are some people who get west coast and manage to get some roots down, too.

Training schedule....for?
I understand that there's no way to say whether posting preference will happen or not. I suppose I was just hoping for some odds. Perhaps more importantly it would be nice to know the chances of doing OJT with a west coast squadron. I have a wife and kids...will I get to see them in the next 3 years??

Re training schedule; are there significant backlogs for QL3/QL5? Am I looking at 18 months to being fully qualified or 3 years?

I have a wife and kids...will I get to see them in the next 3 years??
You're posted (and can bring your dependants) while on OJT.

Of course, looking at the housing prices out west, you might be in a cardboard box under a flooded bridge...

You're posted (and can bring your dependants) while on OJT.

Of course, looking at the housing prices out west, you might be in a cardboard box under a flooded bridge...
Ahh...okay. So will I get the OJT posting immediately after BMQ?

We own a home on Vancouver Island but the cardboard box might come into play if it washes away in the rain...

Ahh...okay. So will I get the OJT posting immediately after BMQ?
Short answer: It depends.

Longer answer: Based on numbers of people ahead of you in line for course, how many people they can put through the course at a time, how many people they need to fill spots on squadrons....it depends.

Short answer: It depends.

Longer answer: Based on numbers of people ahead of you in line for course, how many people they can put through the course at a time, how many people they need to fill spots on squadrons....it depends.
I will pry some useful information out of you guys yet...just need to find the right questions....

Okay how about this one: will I be posted for OJT if I am not immediately scheduled for a course?

The trend in recent years, is people would go to a location for EWAT (Employment While Awaiting Training?) after BMQ, but they had to go to a location that had a place for them. 2 years ago, I was managing 20+ ppl who had completed BMQ and were waiting for a QL3 course. Until then, they aren't posted and some were separated from family/home. The wait then for a QL3 was 12-18 months. I usually saw this called "pre-positioning".

The word "posted" to me = complete initial training in Winnipeg and being posted to a Squadron. Between BMQ and Winnipeg QL3 isn't necessarily a posting (as in a cost move and can bring family) because you haven't completed the initial training yet and there fore the trade hasn't assigned you to a fleet and Sqn (which indicates where you're going, geographically).

So...a bit of a wait, some uncertainty and no guarantees. However, I was able to get one guy who was married with a wife in Edmonton re-assigned to Edmonton for 408 while he was waiting for his QL3 course, so it is possible...just not a certainty.

If you are close to Comox or Pat Bay you have a better chance of doing OJT/EWAT there...

Re: how long to be qualified (18 months, 3 years...)...that depends on what aircraft you are posted to. The MH course is a bit longer than the LRP one. Maybe by the time you get thru, they'll be posting NWGs (New Wing Grads) to Fixed Wing SAR...and no one knows exactly how long that OTU (operational training unit) course is going to be yet.

So..."depends". I know, not much of an answer but its the accurate one.

How was the CFRC experience? Good luck!
It was pretty good all things considered, changed from vehicle tech to Aesop and had to do another interview and the aircrew medical process etc… also got held back for 6 months for a medical reason. Been about a year and a half till now.

Tyler Labine Yes GIF by HULU

Back