• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice on choosing an officer trade

Apply to med school next and then apply to the CAF for MOTP or MMTP if you're a reservist.

Lots of great information here, just jumping in to "fix" one piece of information.

MOTP is for Civilian Applicants & Primary Reserve members to apply

MMTP is only for Regular Force member's and only available to those who reached the Operational Function Point + 1 year of service (and of course completed any obligatory service that they might be subject to).

Lots of great information here, just jumping in to "fix" one piece of information.

MOTP is for Civilian Applicants & Primary Reserve members to apply

MMTP is only for Regular Force member's and only available to those who reached the Operational Function Point + 1 year of service (and of course completed any obligatory service that they might be subject to).
Oh so you cannot apply to be a military police officer? you first have to apply for part time then reach the operations function point and a year of service?

Oh so you cannot apply to be a military police officer? you first have to apply for part time then reach the operations function point and a year of service?
This is for Medical Doctors, not Military Police.

You're a great candidate to be a lawyer or a Bioscience Officer.

First pass the Bar.

A friend of mine was on track to be a Bioscience Officer but recruiting screwed up and he instead applied, got accepted and became an Artillery Officer. He had a PhD in the Health Sciences field (not a MD). He likes being an Arty Offr - something playing with big guns.

In my opinion, if you really want a challenge go Combat Arms (infantry, Armoured, Artillery) or Naval Warfare Officer. You'll really be mentally and physically challenged, get to work with a great team and play with weapons. Once you've had enough you can transfer to be a lawyer. A friend of mine was an Armoured Officer for two tours and he transferred to be a lawyer.

I have both Regular and Reserve Time. I would suggest Reserve first to get your feet wet to see if this is the life you you.

In the Reserves you don't have been a Officer and join as a Private soldier. Res F career is difficult if you have a spouse or in a long long term relationship. Some of your nights, after work, and some weekends in the month are devoted to the military.

Reg F life is tough in terms of job assignments and postings. You don't always get what you want and it can be frustrating, but there rewarding challenges too. If you are married or in a serious relationship, Reg F career is hard on the spouse.

Good Luck.

In my opinion, if you really want a challenge go Combat Arms (infantry, Armoured, Artillery) or Naval Warfare Officer. You'll really be mentally and physically challenged, get to work with a great team and play with weapons. Once you've had enough you can transfer to be a lawyer. A friend of mine was an Armoured Officer for two tours and he transferred to be a lawyer.

I have both Regular and Reserve Time. I would suggest Reserve first to get your feet wet to see if this is the life you you.
Thank you, this is solid advice. The Sgt at the desk immediately suggested Naval Warfare Office, which admittedly does look very cool. I have a TSD next week. Let's see what they suggest for me.

I've started the reg force recruiting process. If I opt for the reserves, I presume they'll inform me of the correct people to get in touch with? I don't want to waste anyone's time while I go through the process, that's for sure!

Talk with the recruiters about going Regular or Reserve Force. Let them know. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but only you can decide what is best for you. Again if you are in a committed relationship I would highly recommend that you get agreement from your partner.

Did the TSD and a bunch of other paperwork today. I basically qualify for most of the officer positions, except engineering, pilot, and things that require some other specialized degrees. This isn’t helping my decision-making process any easier, though. Next steps are interview and medical.

The recruiter said the process could be a few months or a few weeks, and didn’t have to decide on a career yet. I feel like I need to have a longer in-depth discussion about more of the ins and outs of various things I’m thinking on. Would this be something I should email the recruiter about, or should I wait for an interview?

Did the TSD and a bunch of other paperwork today. I basically qualify for most of the officer positions, except engineering, pilot, and things that require some other specialized degrees. This isn’t helping my decision-making process any easier, though. Next steps are interview and medical.

The recruiter said the process could be a few months or a few weeks, and didn’t have to decide on a career yet. I feel like I need to have a longer in-depth discussion about more of the ins and outs of various things I’m thinking on. Would this be something I should email the recruiter about, or should I wait for an interview?

Come over to the Infantry Dark Side... we have claymores.

Both kinds ;)

Star Wars Revenge Of The Fifth GIF

Brief update: I've made some decisions and have decided to go with reserves rather than reg at the moment. I've applied to intelligence and have an information session coming up, which I understand is the first step in their recruit process. Will provide further updates as they come.

Brief update: I've made some decisions and have decided to go with reserves rather than reg at the moment. I've applied to intelligence and have an information session coming up, which I understand is the first step in their recruit process. Will provide further updates as they come.
May I ask where you are recruiting at? Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Keep an open mind throughout the recruiting process. Think of your choices in terms of Navy, Army, Air Force and the job.

If I wasn't so hard set on being in the Army, when I was young, I might have instead joined the Air Force. Where I would have: stayed in quality hotels and ate in fine dining establishments when I travelled on temporary duty; worked a normal 8 hrs day, not having to go to the field and sleep in the outside in the dirt/snow; not having to carry a rifle and rucksack while on the weekly walk/run with 600 of your best friends in the hot sun/rain/snow; and being able to do physical training at a time that I want instead of at 0700 hrs every weekday morning with a bunch of tired and grumpy men and women.

I hear that the Navy has: big warm ships to work in; nice warm bunks to sleep in every night; three hot meals everyday; hot soup at 1000 hrs everyday; swimming in the ocean when there is time; travel to exotic ports and experiencing new and very different cultures; and really spiffy uniforms (like Summer Whites), that young adults swoon and fawn over.

The Army: works you to the bone; kicks you out the airplane door with a parachute at a dizzy height; screams at you when you're not in step with the group - they really hate that and I speak from personal experience; makes you travel to really awful and desolate places where people are not nice to you; makes you skip meals while on operations; and forces you to keep working for long stretches at a time for days on end. Despite being medically released, I loved every minute of being in the Army.

Oh, to be young again and to choose ... sigh ...

Keep an open mind throughout the recruiting process. Think of your choices in terms of Navy, Army, Air Force and the job.

If I wasn't so hard set on being in the Army, when I was young, I might have instead joined the Air Force. Where I would have: stayed in quality hotels and ate in fine dining establishments when I travelled on temporary duty; worked a normal 8 hrs day, not having to go to the field and sleep in the outside in the dirt/snow; not having to carry a rifle and rucksack while on the weekly walk/run with 600 of your best friends in the hot sun/rain/snow; and being able to do physical training at a time that I want instead of at 0700 hrs every weekday morning with a bunch of tired and grumpy men and women.

I hear that the Navy has: big warm ships to work in; nice warm bunks to sleep in every night; three hot meals everyday; hot soup at 1000 hrs everyday; swimming in the ocean when there is time; travel to exotic ports and experiencing new and very different cultures; and really spiffy uniforms (like Summer Whites), that young adults swoon and fawn over.

The Army: works you to the bone; kicks you out the airplane door with a parachute at a dizzy height; screams at you when you're not in step with the group - they really hate that and I speak from personal experience; makes you travel to really awful and desolate places where people are not nice to you; makes you skip meals while on operations; and forces you to keep working for long stretches at a time for days on end. Despite being medically released, I loved every minute of being in the Army.

I'm... not opposed to any of the army stuff you mentioned. :LOL: I can handle the yelling; cadets and working in neurosurgery prepped me well for that. I mean, who doesn't want a surgeon throwing instruments and screaming during trauma surgery at 3 am?

In seriousness, you do make great points. I'm not sure how interested I am in being on a ship (my swim skills are lacking), but Air Force sounds cozy. Although, I do want a position where I can get my hands dirty, so to speak. 2Int is pretty high-tempo and they expect you to be trained in a few things besides intelligence, which is up my alley.

In seriousness, you do make great points. I'm not sure how interested I am in being on a ship (my swim skills are lacking), but Air Force sounds cozy. Although, I do want a position where I can get my hands dirty, so to speak. 2Int is pretty high-tempo and they expect you to be trained in a few things besides intelligence, which is up my alley.
Swimming in the Navy is not a requirement. I have all the buoyancy of a granite brick. And if you find yourself in the northern waters being able to swim is the least of your issues.

Good choice.

2 Int Coy is an Army Reserve Unit. I used know to a couple of guys from 2 Int who were working Class B (full time) when I worked at Land Forces Central Area Headquarters, now know as 4th Canadian Division Headquarters. Good people who were passionate about their work. They could on and on about esoteric subjects which would make my eyes glaze over during our chats.

I have a lot of respect for the Int community. Many times they were spot on in their assessments when we were deployed and they potentially saved lives and prevent injuries. It is a difficult and demanding job.

Don't be too discouraged about processing for your security clearance - meaning it could take a long time.

Good luck on your career!

E TENEBRIS LUX - "Out of the Darkness, Light"

Quick update:

I attended the 2Int online info session. They're accepting applications for operators and have one officer position open, although they said they strongly preferred to commission from within the unit. I'm now waiting for them to get back to me to schedule an interview. They mentioned the entire process of getting signed on and trained up could be upwards of two years, given the top secret security clearance required, and for officers, the limited number of leadership courses offered a year.

In the interim, I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery, and probably have another 3 months to go before I can push my training in a serious manner. For now I'm keeping up with cardio and training my other three limbs lol.

In the event I'm not accepted to 2Int, I'm considering other options. Feel free to chime in on fun army reserve gigs!

Back