• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADF Assistance to Bush Firefighting

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like the ADF has really ramped up support to the firefighting effort. Note use of fuel trucks, water trucks, Hercules and Globemaster, helicopters, engineers, field kitchens, naval ships, helicopters, ISTAR etc.:
https://news.defence.gov.au/national/defence-boosts-bushfire-support

CloudCover said:
Looks like the ADF has really ramped up support to the firefighting effort. Note use of fuel trucks, water trucks, Hercules and Globemaster, helicopters, engineers, field kitchens, naval ships, helicopters, ISTAR etc.:
https://news.defence.gov.au/national/defence-boosts-bushfire-support

Given the discussions in a bunch of other threads about some type of amphib / small deck carrier capability for Canada, I note that two of the three ADF large amphibs (HMAS Choules and HMAS Adelaide) are deployed.  What would Canada do in an emergency involving lower mainland BC, if there was no access down the Fraser, Vancouver International was disrupted, and the USN / USMC were engaged in HADR in Seattle?  The single Berlin would be useful, for sure, and I think AOPS would be better than frigates, but given some work I did with US Northcom at the Binational Planning Group does give me pause...

Tangent, I know...

Sounds and looks like it’s not so easy going for HMAS Adelaide either:

Attachments

• C22AFA14-0A52-4B5D-A07F-3C97184697BB.jpeg
    C22AFA14-0A52-4B5D-A07F-3C97184697BB.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 129
Also: https://www.insider.com/video-orange-haze-prevents-australian-pilots-from-bushfire-rescue-2020-1

Baz said:
Given the discussions in a bunch of other threads about some type of amphib / small deck carrier capability for Canada, I note that two of the three ADF large amphibs (HMAS Choules and HMAS Adelaide) are deployed.  What would Canada do in an emergency involving lower mainland BC, if there was no access down the Fraser, Vancouver International was disrupted, and the USN / USMC were engaged in HADR in Seattle?  The single Berlin would be useful, for sure, and I think AOPS would be better than frigates, but given some work I did with US Northcom at the Binational Planning Group does give me pause...

Tangent, I know...

Here is picture that should be used to lobby for said "flat top" 

Attachments

• australia-navy-carrier-gty-ps-200106_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg
    australia-navy-carrier-gty-ps-200106_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 117
Baz said:

Tangent, I know...

Maybe worth looking at, but between BC ferries, local RCMP/CCG assets, and all the private vessels, there are is a massive amount and variety of vessels on hand in the area for an actual emergency in the short term. Figuring out how to coordinate all those assets would be complicated and but also the responsibility of the provincial emergency response people. If we don't already, would make sense to let them know what assets we can bring in and what limitations they may have ahead of time to speed up the response, but unless the Gov decides that we need to have that specific capability, we have enough stuff that we are supposed to be doing that we need to build back up basic capabilities that we've lost when things rusted out.

Navy_Pete said:
Maybe worth looking at, but between BC ferries, local RCMP/CCG assets, and all the private vessels, there are is a massive amount and variety of vessels on hand in the area for an actual emergency in the short term. Figuring out how to coordinate all those assets would be complicated and but also the responsibility of the provincial emergency response people. If we don't already, would make sense to let them know what assets we can bring in and what limitations they may have ahead of time to speed up the response, but unless the Gov decides that we need to have that specific capability, we have enough stuff that we are supposed to be doing that we need to build back up basic capabilities that we've lost when things rusted out.

I agree to the point that it would take a change to government policy.  I actually think that policy should change and could and have listed some "basic" capabilities I (as a citizen) would give up to get a true joint embarked capability.

Agree there are lots of ships around... the problem becomes helo deck space.  My experience from Katrina / Rita tells me that helo numbers and robust operating locations is incredibly important.

Canadian Fire fighters cheered

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/causes/canadian-fire-crews-cheered-in-australia-as-front-line-teams-prepare-for-the-worst/ar-BBYHxaz?ocid=spartanntp

Baz said:
I agree to the point that it would take a change to government policy.  I actually think that policy should change and could and have listed some "basic" capabilities I (as a citizen) would give up to get a true joint embarked capability.

Agree there are lots of ships around... the problem becomes helo deck space.  My experience from Katrina / Rita tells me that helo numbers and robust operating locations is incredibly important.

Hello deck space
Crew rest and accommodation
Safe resupply and refuelling
Reliable communications and aircraft tracking
Mission support logistics
Fuel, parts, maps, etc.
Mission planning and back end support
Damaged aircraft repair and recovery
The list goes on.

Only a sturdy, purpose built ship and well trained personnel can do the business in a proper military fashion.

Ozzy Man Reviews: Australian Bushfires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Szk3m9w-4

Not quite his usual style, but it's a good illustration of people's losses and attitudes.

Language not suitable for tender ears.

Three US firefighters were killed when their aircraft crashed while fighting the fire. They worked for a Canadian firm called Coulson Aviation out of BC.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/three-us-veterans-killed-in-tanker-crash-while-battling-australian-bushfires-1.616039

Three military veteran firefighters were killed when a C-130 Hercules air tanker crashed while battling bushfires Thursday in Australia, according to the plane’s owner and operator.
The names and other details about the three fallen firefighters were in a statement released by Coulson Aviation, of Port Alberni, British Columbia, Canada, on its website Friday.
The company confirmed that Capt. Ian McBeth, First Officer Paul Clyde Hudson and Flight Engineer Rick DeMorgan Jr. died in the crash, the cause of which remains unclear.

Back