• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ACISS Recruits - Where are you?

mitchdouble

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I'm currently in my application process, going for Army Reg Force, ACISS. I just wanted to make my first post a hello world kinda deal.
I'm a 24 year old IT Analyst from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Grew up raised in a military family, both mother and father are veterans. I couldn't be more excited to server my country and continue my family tradition.

Anyone else going for ACISS?

You should look into the fact that ACISS is splitting into 3 trades, since you have some IT experience it sounds like you would want to go Sig Tech.

Going ACISS too buddy. Just completed my medical and interview today (CFRC Calgary) and found out, as Andryko said, the trade is being split into 3. Line Technician, Signal Technician (more IT related) and Signal Ops (more in the field from what I understand, combat-style role). Hopefully with the shortage of us, we can at least have some input, but I wouldn't know yet. Let me know when you get your BMQ dates, maybe I'll see you there!

I recently reopened my file, and ACISS is what I'm hoping to get in to as well.

Just waiting on getting contacted for the medical, got to keep my CFAT scores from 2017.

I'm 33, and have been doing IT work for over 10 years.

HI, I've applied to reg force in Nov/Dec 2019. I'm now prepping for the medical and interview next week. I applied to Aciss in hopes of learning a new trade. I have transferable skills that I think would be good. I was curious to know if anyone here can tell me how the pay works. I understand the Aciss is a Spec 1 pay scale, but I think that would be after being fully trained. So I would assume that entering reg force would start as Private pay scale. I'm also curious to know how the rank works after someone is trained, as I don't see Spec1 for Private, only Corp. I'm also curious to know more details about the position of Signals Technician, if anyone can shed some light on it. I have the career information, but it's very generic. I'd love to hear from someone working in this field about their experiences.

Anyways folks, good luck to all, and fingers crossed for the best possible outcomes.

Mrbrad said:
(...)
I understand the Aciss is a Spec 1 pay scale, but I think that would be after being fully trained. So I would assume that entering reg force would start as Private pay scale. I'm also curious to know how the rank works after someone is trained, as I don't see Spec1 for Private, only Corp.
(...)
I'd love to hear from someone working in this field about their experiences.
(...)

Hi, all!
Nice to meet you all!
I am not in the field yet. I am also a candidate proceeding with my application.
What I have to share was given to me by email, from the recruitment agent dealing to me. But let's keep in mind that the official best source of such explanations will be the Recruitment Center. What I mean is: I don't want to pretend to be so good informed as they are. I am only sharing what I got.

Le premier cours de formation professionnelle est fait dans le grade de soldat.
Certains métiers ont une seconde formation professionnelle, à ce moment-là les candidats sont parfois caporal ou encore soldat dépendant du métier.

In my own translation to english it probably means that:
- The Basic Occupational Qualification Training (BMOQ) gets the candidate into the Private rank.
- Some trades take a second BMOQ, and depending on the trade, the candidate goes to this 2nd BMOQ as Corporal (and at this moment, he/she will be Corp Spec 1, or Corp Spec whatever).

I hope I am not wrong.
8)

Thanks for your reply Macarena, That makes sense to me, I hope you're right. ha ha. What line of Aciss did you apply for? Did you get an appointment for your interview yet? I have mine coming up this coming Wednesday, so I'm pretty excited about it. I applied to the Signal Technician sub occupation, it's more in line with my previous work experience. Anyways, good luck with your application process!

I just thought I'd update the post for the sake of anyone else who might be curious about the timelines. I enlisted back in December 2019, and by the looks of my post, I did the medical in Feb 2020 (just before Covid). It's now September 2020 and I've recently made it to the competition list. I'm sure things are slow moving at the moment with Covid still a concern these days, but I'll be curious to see when, if ever, I'll get a job offer. If anyone wants to share how long they were on the competition list for, that would be cool. I did as a soldier today how long they were on the list for and they said it was about a month or so for them, but that was a long time ago.

Anyways, stay safe and good luck to all in the recruitment process!

Hi, All!
Hey Mr Brad. In reply to your messages, I didn't yet reach the point to chose a branch. Due to my situation, outside Canada, I am still at the references. I got two references not qualified then I have to keep harassing my pals. For me too, the Corona made a lot of mess, everything is slow now. But I am still giving efforts to hit my pickaxe on my rock. I will not give up yet.
:stirpot:

Hey Macarena, I had issues with one reference as well, but I was able to get one more in there, so I feel your pain on that one. No, I say don't give up until you can get an offer. I spoke to a guy who currently serves and he said he was on the competition list for a month or so before he was made an offer. But of course, that was before the pandemic, so ya. Good luck man.

Update for my recruitment process. I was contacted today with a job offer. Now I'll have a few days to make a decision. I was surprised to find out that the recruitment office called and after 5 minutes on the phone, was asking me if I'd like to accept the offer. I was expecting a formal interview for the job offer. I also had some questions, which I had to send an email since the people on the phone were unable to answer them. I was also surprised to find out that less than an hour later, I was on the phone with someone who could answer all my questions. So, that was impressive. I applied and was offered a position as a Signal Tech, which comes with a combined training plan of about 2 years. I was told it was possible (but never a sure thing) that I could request Kingston be deemed my first posting while I was doing my occupational training. This would allow me to relocate my family during this time, if it were approved. To hear this was even possible was a relief, as I have a wife and young child. All said and done, almost a full year for my recruitment process. I was told basic training would begin February 2021 and I would need to self isolate for the two weeks before departure. I hope this helps anyone curious about the recruitment process, like I was. The other thing I should mention, when I applied, there was a signing bonus for Aciss. I was told the signing bonus would be paid out in two parts. One, when training was completed and the rest at the end of the 4 year contract. However, an amount was not discussed, I guess that depends on several things. Hope this helps.

Kingston is great, especially in the Summer.  Hope it works out for you -- and welcome to the Corps! 

Thanks Mike5, I appreciate that. It will be a tough choice for sure. I'd love to join, but the starting wage is much lower than what I'm currently making. So it will be tough to afford it. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed to find a way. Short term pain for long term gain! ha ha

My newest update...having just received the opportunity I've been waiting all year for, I had to decline the offer. After long negotiations with the wife, we agreed this would be a terrible time to leave home for training. I've been regretting my decision ever since, but feel it was the right decision overall. However, I am still eager to join and the ACISS trade is really interesting to me, so I'd like to know if I have to wait any length of time to reapply, or will the recruitment office simply re-open my file? I saw a post a while ago that said they'd reopen a file within the year of the declined offer. I just don't know if that's current information or if things have changed since then. I've reached out to the recruitment office, but haven't heard back yet. Anyways, I'll keep updating my progress for anyone who might find it helpful.

Back