• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accumulated Leave, BTL

Brasidas

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm about to amend a Christmas leave request, removing my short days, after being told that "x CDSB BTL does not authorize the accumulation of leave." I'm unfamiliar with accumulated leave, and I'd appreciate any guidance I can get in not wasting all of three weeks of leave that I haven't been able to take.

I'm UTPNCM, with 17 days of annual that I have been unable to use. My exams run until the night of the 22nd and my first day of classes is 10 Jan. I'm counting 6 weekend, 3 stat, and 2 christmas special. That leaves 7, 4 of which would normally be short. Short will be denied if I don't have a leave plan that uses up all of my annual by 1 April.

The only other block that I could take any leave is reading week, which I'll be using to study. Fine, I'll take annual there while doing my job. 21 Feb is Family Day. I'm seeing 4 annual I can take there.

That leaves 6 days of accumulated leave. By the Subsidized Education Management Student Guide, I can request leave accumulation with a detailed leave plan explaining why annual could not be expended to the support unit CO.

I spent all of my time before school started doing admin that had to happen at that time. I spent all of my time from when school started through exams studying. I'm asking for Christmas break, using annual instead of any short, unlike my peers. I'm using annual when I'm studying during reading week.

What else is required for me to make use of the outstanding week of leave next summer?

Thanks for your help.

SEM Student Guide said:
320 Leave Planning

SEM Student Guide said:
Students are allocated 20 annual leave days (25 after five years’ service). Each student shall develop a leave plan at the beginning of each fiscal year, 1 Apr – 31 Mar, covering the entire fiscal year. NLT 30 Sep of each year, students shall submit their leave plan to the ULO demonstrating how they plan to expend the remainder of their annual leave. Annual leave should be planned as follows:

Summer: 10-15 days;

Winter holiday period: 4-6 days; and

Reading week: 0-5 days.

Summer leave dates must be registered with SEM prior to approval by the CO of the support unit. This is necessary to eliminate potential conflict with mandatory academic activities, military training, and Second Official Language Education and Training (SOLET).

Students unable to take their full entitlement of annual days in a fiscal year due to rigorous schedules or individualized circumstances may be granted accumulation, provided they can fully demonstrate why they were unable to take leave. To request leave accumulation a detailed leave plan explaining why annual leave could not be expended must be submitted to the support unit CO via the ULO NLT the last working day of Jan each year.

I'm about to amend a Christmas leave request, removing my short days, after being told that "x CDSB BTL does not authorize the accumulation of leave." I'm unfamiliar with accumulated leave, and I'd appreciate any guidance I can get in not wasting all of three weeks of leave that I haven't been able to take.

I'm UTPNCM, with 17 days of annual that I have been unable to use. My exams run until the night of the 22nd and my first day of classes is 10 Jan. I'm counting 6 weekend, 3 stat, and 2 christmas special. That leaves 7, 4 of which would normally be short. Short will be denied if I don't have a leave plan that uses up all of my annual by 1 April.

The only other block that I could take any leave is reading week, which I'll be using to study. Fine, I'll take annual there while doing my job. 21 Feb is Family Day. I'm seeing 4 annual I can take there.

That leaves 6 days of accumulated leave. By the Subsidized Education Management Student Guide, I can request leave accumulation with a detailed leave plan explaining why annual could not be expended to the support unit CO.

I spent all of my time before school started doing admin that had to happen at that time. I spent all of my time from when school started through exams studying. I'm asking for Christmas break, using annual instead of any short, unlike my peers. I'm using annual when I'm studying during reading week.

What else is required for me to make use of the outstanding week of leave next summer?

Thanks for your help.

Having dealt with a very large BTL this is very common, you are not being treated differently than your peers and even outside of the SUTL/BTL world folks who have not used their annual are not granted short leave IOT to ensure that annual is used first.

I don't know your situation but having run a BTL and as someone who has gone through UTPNCM most people can use all their leave without issue. There are always a few that seemed to have issues and needed some more hands on guidance "yes, Timmy I can force you to take leave in the summer". Not saying that is needed here or the case just my experience over the years.

At the end of the day, lay out your plan and you will likely accum 6 days which you can use next summer if you wish or hold onto until you you want to use them or cash them out upon retirement.

Back