• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accepting that you can't be a soldier

PrairieBoy

Inactive
Reaction score
This post is not, strictly speaking, about my application process. It is about those who applied and couldn't make it, or in my case, those who applied and couldn't make the cut once they got in. This thread is for those who, like me, love and respect the Forces and wish for nothing more than to serve their country with honour, but cannot. So if all you wanted was a career in the Forces and you could not make it in, or if you're like me and you made it in but couldn't make the cut for whatever reason, this is thread is for you. Share your stories if you feel inclined, share advice about learning to accept the things you can't change if you care to, or simply read and listen if that's all you want.

For my own part, I had everything I needed for a successful career as an officer in the Primary Reserve. I was physically able enough, and I had the necessary mental aptitude. I passed all the tests in the application process swimmingly, and at my BMQ I performed well, and passed every test... Except for one. For reasons I myself still do not grasp, I was seized by performance anxiety for the weapons test and failed it. Three times they let me try and three times I was too nervous to succeed. I still don't understand why I was seized by such paralyzing nervousness for that test. I had performed every required action on the rifle dozens of times before, I knew what I had to do and I had the ability to do it, but I just could not get over the nervousness. It was pathetic, and deep down I still hate myself over it.

The failure destroyed by personal confidence, and they sent me home soon afterwards. However, first I endured a miserable day of browbeating with the Master Corporal they placed in charge of getting me on the bus home. It wasn't that he was chewing me out, I'd be chewed out before and I didn't let it phase me before, but I was isolated from my section and my course, I was truly alone, and all his vitriol was directed at me. Stuff like that just stings more and cuts deeper when you don't have a team to stand with you. I can understand why he looked down upon me, he was a combat veteran, a hard man, and in his estimation it was clear that I was unworthy of being in the Army. Especially since he was infantry and I was supposed to become an infantry officer. You're probably thinking "This little shit shouldn't be in the Army in the first place if he can't handle a simple weapons test". And you'd be right.

The last thing my section Sergeant said to me before I was sent home was "If you sorted this out, you could be good, you could be very good". Unfortunately, my Coy OC back at my home regiment did not agree and gave the option of a voluntary release. He told me, in no uncertain terms, that it would be best for the Army if I did. I always tried to place the good of my team before my own, so I chose the voluntary release.

Now I'm focusing on my university education. After I graduate, perhaps I will reenlist. My heart wants me too, but my mind is telling me: "No, don't, you don't deserve to be in the company of men like the Master Corporal. You don't have the stones". I have not decided whether I will or not, but I'm getting this feeling that I will just have to accept that this dream is one I will have to give up on. Sometimes life is about swallowing the bitter pills you're given, and this one is very bitter indeed.

Does anyone else have a similar story to share? I find that getting it out and off your chest sometimes helps.

And you men and women who are good enough, who do have the stones, who are brave and bold and patriotic, I have endless respect for you. I want to thank you for always standing to defend this country we all love so much, and all the lesser men like me within it.

Your story is very moving and I applaud you for coming out with such a true speaking story. Perhaps you really should reenlist once you are finished university. The weapons handling should not be something that should stop you if you can muster up the self confidence. While you wait why not buy an AR style weapon with the same make up as the C7, I suggest a M&P 15-22 has the same make up but is .22 rimefire to keep cost low. I hope you enlist again as I read your story I see competence and that really what we need in the CF, sad that it is hard to find sometimes.

Chin up. Not being a member of the CF doesn't make you any less "brave and bold and patriotic." This country is great because of the contributions of millions of people, most of whom were not soldiers.

WEng...Your breadth of experience is astonishing...wow, I mean, wow. OK enough with the sarcasm...step back and think of all the things wrong with your statement...

Prairie Boy:
Don't feel bad. It seems as though your mentors and chain of command were less than supportive. A relatively simple matter regarding passing a wpn handling test should not be cause to give up. I have seen and taught many folks who were at first, deathly afraid of messing up...the key for mentors and instructors is to give the trainee the positive reinforcement and confidence to be able to carry out the task. As I see it, this probably wasn't the case.

Have another go at it...challenge yourself.

WEng said:
Your story is very moving and I applaud you for coming out with such a true speaking story. Perhaps you really should reenlist once you are finished university. The weapons handling should not be something that should stop you if you can muster up the self confidence. While you wait why not buy an AR style weapon with the same make up as the C7, I suggest a M&P 15-22 has the same make up but is .22 rimefire to keep cost low. I hope you enlist again as I read your story I see competence and that really what we need in the CF, sad that it is hard to find sometimes.

:facepalm:

WEng said:
  why not buy an AR style weapon

Because the weapon is not the issue. Self-confidence i general is the issue. Spending money on a gun is not going to fix that. If the OP wants to build his self-confidence in general ( which is what he needs), his money is better spent taking classes on public-speaking or something along those lines.

Jammer said:
It seems as though your mentors and chain of command were less than supportive. ............ As I see it, this probably wasn't the case.

It may be so but i have had a few students who, no matter what support was offered to them, just couldn't do it. They needed to go out and work on their issues outside the military before they could muster enough confidence to try again.

Not knowing both sides of the story, the question is still raised, if a student has already been confirmed as a training failure, and is being RTU'd, why an unnamed master-corporal decided to crap all over him... I've only taught a dozen or so BMQs, but have seen plenty of voluntary RTUs and training failures, and the only thing I ever say is "Oh well, it's not for everyone, good luck in the future".

Though as far as the original poster is concerned, don't be so damned dramatic. If you want to do it again, re-enroll, do it again.

Like Yoda says, do or do not, there is no try.

I am currently doing my BMQ, and my family has a history of military experence. If you really want to be in the military you must keep on trying. You need to try to get your self confidence up, its all a game (the BMQ anyways). If you are trying to be an officer you MUST have self-confidence otherwise you won't be able to lead or have the men follow and respect you. If the weapon handling itself isn't the problem figure out ways to increase your confidence, take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand. Otherwise I honestly don't know what to tell you, if you feel the military is for you then try again otherwise there are many ways you can still help out say working with your local legion etc. This is just my thoughts on your problem. Good Luck.

a Sig Op said:
Not knowing both sides of the story, the question is still raised, if a student has already been confirmed as a training failure, and is being RTU'd, why an unnamed master-corporal decided to crap all over him... I've only taught a dozen or so BMQs, but have seen plenty of voluntary RTUs and training failures, and the only thing I ever say is "Oh well, it's not for everyone, good luck in the future".

Though as far as the original poster is concerned, don't be so damned dramatic. If you want to do it again, re-enroll, do it again.

Like Yoda says, do or do not, there is no try.

Good point. I have never seen DS treat someone who has failed/VRd with anything but respect.

Agreed on your second point as well, sometimes people have to stop clacking away at keyboards and get out and do it. And the current guys on BMQ, or just out of BMQ, need to stop offering so much advice and concentrate on keeping their shit sorted.

WEng: While your comments are appreciated, I'm not looking for sympathy. Sympathy doesn't really help. I was just getting something that had been pestering at me off my chest, and I don't expect or want sympathy or hand-holding. Sometimes a kick in the *** is better.

As for the actions of the Master Corporal: I understand why he was pissed off all the time. He was our... I don't know the proper term. Quartermaster? The course admin guy who was always running around taking care of stuff for us, getting people kit, issuing our bolts every day, setting up the range, stuff of that nature. He was very busy, and in our experience usually very pissed off, and having some training failure wasting his valuable time only pissed him off more. According to some friends of mine who also RTU'd, he was pissed at pretty much everyone who went home early.

The rest of my course staff was polite and respectful about it. Even somewhat encouraging in the case of my course officer and my section sergeant. It was only the Master Corporal who put me through crap for it.

I just have one question though: When I was sent back to the barracks to clean out my lockers, pack all my kit, strip my bed and fold my sheets, the Master Corporal gave me 15 minutes to accomplish everything. Is this normal? Would you consider this unreasonable or was I just too slow?

Yes the 15 mins is normal, he wants you out of the barracks before the remainder of the course is back in order for them not to see you as it brings down the morale of some.

p.s. That is possibly my best run on sentence ever.

In Saint Jean there was a PO there and I can't remember his name at the present time.  But during weapons class he yelled so loudly that the class next door were scared.  There were a few recruits that completely lost it in his yelling and could barely function.  Everyone gets yelled at and given impossible timings, it's part of learning.  I remember the "5 min" change parades that were impossible to meet but were fun.

I can remember having head aches leaving his classroom but we all passed our testing.  Set backs are a part of life, if it's something you want to do then face your fear head on and beat it down like the Berlin Wall.

If you don't, you'll be in for a rough Career no matter what you choose.

I am simply amazed at the trauma some post about.......because they were "yelled" at? Lord love a duck!!

GAP said:
I am simply amazed at the trauma some post about.......because they were "yelled" at? Lord love a duck!!

Wait until someone shoots at them........

GAP said:

I'm not complaining at all if you were referring to my post.

It makes you think quicker and react faster(for me) then if someone is being polite and patiently asking you to do things.

I hope I never have to deal with being shot at, but understandably it's part of the job requirements.  I'd like to think I'd run towards the bullets rather then away but who knows what will happen when/if that time comes.

I respect all the senior members on here and listen intently to their advice.  They know more now about the military then many new recruits will ever learn in their careers.

IMHO that Mcpl is an a^%^&&*. Unprofessional at the very least. If a guy flops out, oh well, it happens. No need to salt the wounds to a guy on his way home forever, it serves no purpose whatsoever.In my experience, the guys that give candidates the hardest time for no reason were the biggest bags themselves.

If the Mcpl cannot handle the simple stresses of running a course, perhaps there is some issue with him.I have no time for power trippers at all, and all the time for professionals . Not to say you don't need to jack people sometimes, but just for the hell of it with no reasoning or to display power is BS

It is not the fact that you were knocked down that counts, PrairieBoy, it is what you do afterwards.

Most success, especially in challenging environments, is due to sheer perseverance. Many successful people have been repeatedly knocked down, but they get up again, dust themselves off, and advance a little further each time.

If you want to try again, do so. Your improved education, experience, and maturity may well help you to succeed.

It may be that military service is not for you, but that does not make you a "lesser man". All of us have our limits, whether we have tested them, or even realize that we have them. I could not be a fireman, or a sailor, or a bunch of other things. I am what I am, and neither better nor lesser than than those people. Whatever career you ultimately take up, just be the best that you can.

The Master Corporal was wrong.

Loachman said:
The Master Corporal was wrong.
Agreed.  There's no reasonable way to pass anyone who can't pass repeated attempts at a weapon test, but that's also not a reason to humiliate such a person as they leave the door.

Back