• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Spirit-Lifting Visit to the Strathconas

OldTanker

Subscriber
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I had the opportunity to take my uncle on a visit to Steele Barracks in Edmonton Garrison. He is 88, saw battle in WWII with the RCA, and re-mustered to the Strathconas in 1946, serving until his retirement in 1968 as a S/Sgt. He has been in failing health, and when I heard of his visit to Edmonton, I thought a visit to his regiment might perk him up.

That being the case, I contacted the Strathconas, and although they advised me they were very busy preparing a tank squadron for service in Afghanistan, we would be most welcome. The visit was brilliant. We had an excellent tour of Recce Sqn, in particular the weapons stores, and had a super briefing on the weapons and associated equipment used by the Sqn. We were taken into the tank hanger where the Leopards were being readied for war. I am also an old tanker, and tank hangers never seem to change. The smell, sounds, sights, troopers covered in grease and grime, the physical challenge of changing track - it could have been Gagetown with Centurions in the '70s or Lahr with Leopards in the '80s.

And we visited the TOW Company. Patricias with black berets! Now who would ever have believed that? Every armour and infantry soldier we spoke with was articulate, patient, friendly and above all showed great respect for my uncle. He was wearing his regimental blazer and tie, so was obviously an ex-Strathcona. I even ran into several soldiers I had served with over the years, and what a delight that was.

But the reason for this posting is two-fold. First, to relate the effect it had on my uncle. He shuffled into Steele Barracks, but marched out. The spirit of the Regiment was a tonic for him. The young soldiers (and they all seem so young) impressed the heck out of him (and me), and he left knowing "his" regiment was in good shape. Whenever we were briefed on staffing shortfalls, he immediately offered to assist. I don't think there is a stowage plan for a walker, but he would go if he could. And the second message is to let the serving Strathconas (and all members of the CF) know they are not alone. We both care deeply about our brothers-in-arms (a term he uses with clear affection) and I know his congregation says a weekly prayer for the safety of our troops everywhere. We have both grieved the recent deaths in the RCD (my regiment) and hope for the safe return of all.

Thank you to the Strathconas for taking the time to host two old soldiers.

I know whenever they host their affiliated cadet corps, they (LdSH) are always very hospitable, and have lots of awesome activites planned that the cadets can enjoy. The environment is always A+.
Thanks Strathconas! Perseverance. Stay Safe

outstanding post old tanker
best regards to your uncle
through the mud and the blood to the green frields beyond..
thank your uncle for the freedoms i have now due to his efforts
                                                          best regards,,,
                                                            scoty

Once you go Black, you never go Back
I was a grunt and then transfered to a Black Hat unit, all tankers no matter what are family.
I am glad to hear your uncle had a great day.

Back