• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A question regarding joining the RCMP

Devno1989

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm determined to join the RCMP, and have been interested in it deeply for the past year or so. I've been doing everything I can to benefit me to joining, such as training weekly, and volunteering at Crisis Centers and what not. I have a good background, and am an honest and good person.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that when I was younger, I couldn't keep a job....I'd always end up quitting after a few months, just when I was a teenager though, and this was about 3 jobs...I'm scared because of that, when they do a background check, I won't get accepted because of my past laziness...I'm no longer like this, and hold a job now that I do very well (I'm 20 years of age now)

Any thoughts on this? Should I be worried? And what can I do to help myself?

I hope this helps you.

Topic: "RCMP Info, discussion":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/30934/post-218588.html#msg218588

You may get an answer here. Cover the bases as it were. Better bet would be to ask the RCMP instead. Try their site.

Devno1989 said:
Hi, I'm determined to join the RCMP, and have been interested in it deeply for the past year or so. I've been doing everything I can to benefit me to joining, such as training weekly, and volunteering at Crisis Centers and what not. I have a good background, and am an honest and good person.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that when I was younger, I couldn't keep a job....I'd always end up quitting after a few months, just when I was a teenager though, and this was about 3 jobs...I'm scared because of that, when they do a background check, I won't get accepted because of my past laziness...I'm no longer like this, and hold a job now that I do very well (I'm 20 years of age now)

Any thoughts on this? Should I be worried? And what can I do to help myself?
Before joining the Forces, I had one interview remaining in my RCMP recruitment process when I actually changed my mind and decided against joining the police service.

I also had sporadic, short-term employment during my teen years, but when I turned 19 and 20, I started holding jobs for longer periods of time, and doing better at them.

They looked past my bad employment because I was able to not only say I changed, but prove it, with extensive positive employment. They told me that it's looked at in the same sort of way as smoking weed - a lot of people have done it, but they look more closely at how you've changed. So what I gather, if you have a couple years of strong employment, they will possibly consider that when they look at your previous employment history.

Hi Devno,

With anything in your application you will be expected to demonstrate how you have overcome the issue. Its not so much that you were a job hermit. It will be you explaining what has changed.

Being a good and honest person is a big seller. Every mountie was young at one point too. Everyone in serge has made mistakes.
Show how you have learned and how you'll avoid those pitfalls in the future.

At 20 years old you have lots of time to get into the police service (whatever one you please) so its okay to enter into the processm, be unsuccessful, and adapt and reapply. No matter what happens (hired or receive a constructive "come back later) it will be win win.

With regards to volunteer work. Its all pretty much equal- choose something that interests you on a personal level. Not just what you think the "police" want.

Back