• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Hunting Thread- A Swerve from The Global Warming Thread

Those who kill for trophies or worse, just for fun (not including pests or threats here), are not hunters but people with egos that need to be fed or at worse criminals. Done correctly it's harvesting food and is not a sport. TV and magazines etc have made horn hunting a sport and unfortunately this is the only experience most non hunters have to base an opinion on..
Killing is only part of hunting but a necessary part. I spend many hours and days hunting and only seconds to kill. The kill is the success that comes from all the time spent scouting, studying, and stalking. After the kill is when the work starts with gutting, dragging, hanging, skinning, cutting, grinding and wrapping. After the work I can enjoy my harvest over many months.
When considering hunting all aspects from field to plate must be considered. But please, don't confuse trophy chasers with hunters.

Those who kill for trophies or worse, just for fun (not including pests or threats here), are not hunters but people with egos that need to be fed or at worse criminals. Done correctly it's harvesting food and is not a sport. TV and magazines etc have made horn hunting a sport and unfortunately this is the only experience most non hunters have to base an opinion on..
Killing is only part of hunting but a necessary part. I spend many hours and days hunting and only seconds to kill. The kill is the success that comes from all the time spent scouting, studying, and stalking. After the kill is when the work starts with gutting, dragging, hanging, skinning, cutting, grinding and wrapping. After the work I can enjoy my harvest over many months.
When considering hunting all aspects from field to plate must be considered. But please, don't confuse trophy chasers with hunters.
Even "trophy hunting" is done for meat. It's disappointing to see a hunter perpetuate the myth of "trophy hunting".

If you shoot a 9-point buck to mount on the wall, you're still going to eat the venison. Leaving the meat behind will get you charged by the game wardens, and you'll lose your license/firearms.

African "trophy hunting" is done for meat as well, though the hunter doesn't keep the meat, it goes to the local villages. Normally the hunter and the locals sit down, and have a meal from the kill, but the bulk of the meat supplements the locals' diet. I sailed with a guy who did a fair bit of trophy hunting in Africa, interestingly his stories were mostly about the people and the landscape, and not about the trophies.

Even "trophy hunting" is done for meat. It's disappointing to see a hunter perpetuate the myth of "trophy hunting".

If you shoot a 9-point buck to mount on the wall, you're still going to eat the venison. Leaving the meat behind will get you charged by the game wardens, and you'll lose your license/firearms.

African "trophy hunting" is done for meat as well, though the hunter doesn't keep the meat, it goes to the local villages. Normally the hunter and the locals sit down, and have a meal from the kill, but the bulk of the meat supplements the locals' diet. I sailed with a guy who did a fair bit of trophy hunting in Africa, interestingly his stories were mostly about the people and the landscape, and not about the trophies.
I get it. You're anti-hunting. Some of us can't be that simplistic.

Their focus is on the trophy not the harvesting. No trophy hunter brags about the meat, they don't pass around pictures of their freezer. It's all about the size of their .... horns.

"African "trophy hunting" is done for meat as well" So why isn't it called African meat harvesting? The locals don't need anyone's charity to get meat. They're more than capable and can do it more sustainably then some pith helmet asshat.

Their focus is on the trophy not the harvesting. No trophy hunter brags about the meat, they don't pass around pictures of their freezer. It's all about the size of their .... horns.

"African "trophy hunting" is done for meat as well" So why isn't it called African meat harvesting? The locals don't need anyone's charity to get meat. They're more than capable and can do it more sustainably then some pith helmut asshat.

There are a few (hundred million) benefits for the locals... as in North America:

The economic impact of trophy hunting in the south African wildlife industry​

•This research determines the economic impact of trophy hunting in South Africa.
•Trophy hunters spend US$250 million per annum in the country.
•The impact of this spending on production in the economy is US$341 million.
•The agricultural and manufacturing sectors benefit the most from trophy hunting.
•Trophy hunting supports more than 17 000 employment opportunities.

Poudel et al. (2017) quantified the economic contribution of hunting for the thirteen states in southern USA and established that states with larger economies benefited from greater multiplier effects related to hunting activities; although the total economic contribution, when expressed as a percentage of the economy, was greater for states with smaller economies. Finally, Arnett and Southwick (2015) found that American hunters and Canadian nature-recreationists spend more than $38.3 billion and $1.8 billion, respectively, on non-commercial hunting-related expenses each year. Hunting activities are shown to contribute significantly to job creation and tax income in both countries.

"African "trophy hunting" is done for meat as well" So why isn't it called African meat harvesting? The locals don't need anyone's charity to get meat. They're more than capable and can do it more sustainably then some pith helmet asshat.
Have you actually looked into African trophy hunting at all?

Want to guess where there are healthy populations of wildlife, and where there isn't?

Places that host controlled trophy hunting have more big game populations, and healthier habitats because the animals are "worth" something, even to people living in "tribal" conditions. Countries that banned hunting because it was a just white dudes, have lost most of their large game animals because farmers/villagers don't want elephants, Cape Buffalo, Giraffe, etc., wandering through their fields.

This so called trophy hunting shtick that it's all about ego is a oft debunked myth. I suspect some people are arguing on emotion with little research or understanding. Anti hunters have a million reasons why their stance is right. They can't prove a single one them. PETA and GREENPEACE propoganda. Same tired sound bites with no factual input. They just keep rolling around to recycle their outrage but can't fathom their apoplexy.

Back