• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

By all means, investigate Kushner. Hard to sell political influence when you're no longer in a political place, though:

"Kushner reportedly received a $2 billion investment from the Public Investment Fund led by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman after he left the White House last year."

Also makes it harder to allege pure corruption when what has been exchanged is obvious:

"In exchange for the investments, the Saudi fund would get a stake of at least 28 percent of Kushner's Affinity Partners, according to the Times."

Cold water has already been thrown on the insinuations/speculation/pulled-out-of-someone's-ass-suggestions that the documents taken from Trump's place might have been for sale, so it's not that.

So, investigate (I suppose the House Oversight Committee's is in progress) and find out whether the $2B was over-market for the share in Affinity Partners or not.

[Add: of course, the obvious thing to note is that there IS an investigation of Kushner ongoing. As they say: "Now do Biden".]

To the best of my understanding, a referral is, frankly, pretty inconsequential in its own right. DOJ already has most if not all of the committee information, as well as further information obtained by grand jury subpoenas and searches that the committee does not have access to- in short, DOJ has a more fulsome picture that pretty much completely overlaps and surpasses what evidence the Jan 6th committee has, plus lots more. DOJ also has the legal expertise to assess if this evidence substantiates offences. Further, DOJ likely has information overlapping across investigations.

That’s not to say this is just theatrics; it’s appropriate for the committee to say to DOJ “hey, we have criminal concerns here”- but it’s unlikely to independently cause any prosecutorial action. Arguably it could put a bit of pressure on DOJ to be seen to act, but it likely will do little to enhance the weight of the evidence.

One notable exception to this is if the committee makes any referrals for contempt related to committee work.

Last edited:
Be nice if 3 from each "side" (the fact that word is suitable explains a lot) did this and sat as Independents.

And their common goal was way more common sense......

Be nice if 3 from each "side" (the fact that word is suitable explains a lot) did this and sat as Independents.

And their common goal was way more common sense......
I feel like, while democrats can switch to independent and still caucus with and "get along" with the remaining democrats, that if a republican was to do the same, they'd completely ostracize them right away.

Is that just me?

I feel like, while democrats can switch to independent and still caucus with and "get along" with the remaining democrats, that if a republican was to do the same, they'd completely ostracize them right away.

Is that just me?
Since, if I remember from the article, she was already "censored" for voting against the party line earlier, I'd say it's just you.

Sinema's up for re-election in 2024. She waited until after the Georgia runoff to announce this, so she's no pot-disturber. The most agitated Democrats are unhappy with her, have harassed her, and have vowed to challenge her in the primary - she was already partly ostracized. She has yanked the rug out from under them - no primary, and no point whining that Democrats ought to own her vote for everything that comes up. She is still going to vote with Democrats on almost all issues.

Idly wondering what might happen to a Senate Republican is much less interesting than what is actually happening to the most moderate Senate Democrats. Manchin will probably have to do the same if he wants to run again.

Can't a corroborating source?
Not being a mind reader, I can only assume you meant to include cite?
It's been announced several places already - but as @brihard points out, it's simply a recommendation, that has no legal standing on it's own.
It does likely mean that DoJ should have enough evidence to proceed with an indictment, but...

Sinema's up for re-election in 2024. She waited until after the Georgia runoff to announce this, so she's no pot-disturber. The most agitated Democrats are unhappy with her, have harassed her, and have vowed to challenge her in the primary - she was already partly ostracized. She has yanked the rug out from under them - no primary, and no point whining that Democrats ought to own her vote for everything that comes up. She is still going to vote with Democrats on almost all issues.

Idly wondering what might happen to a Senate Republican is much less interesting than what is actually happening to the most moderate Senate Democrats. Manchin will probably have to do the same if he wants to run again.
Yes but is Manchin really a moderate democrat, or is he just a Republican who got lost on his way back from the bathroom?

Yes but is Manchin really a moderate democrat, or is he just a Republican who got lost on his way back from the bathroom?
He’s a West Virginia Democrat…
You find a lot of ‘unusual’ Democrats the further South you go, who are in all actuality more Republican than a lot of Northern Republicans.

If each party would just smother their extremist portions (preferably in their sleep
with a pillow) everyone would have a lot more common ground.

I can name at least 10 on each side that if they were gone that things would be a lot more reasonable.

Sad that I could get that many but…

Back