• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A country worth fighting for? -A political Scenerio

A few years back during one of the referendems (sp?). It was something about an MP going around a base in quebec speaking with the soldiers finding out if they would join the new quebec army or whatever if quebec seperated. Some people thought it was treason, the goverment chalked it up to a misunderstanding.

Quite simply, I am a Canadian. Canada is more worth defending than my own life. Furthermore, so are the people. If such a situation were to occur... I fight for Canada, for the people, even if our government had become so lacking as in this scenario...

As was quoted before, we‘ve heard the song our enitre lives, it‘s something were proud of, and in such a situation I‘m sure we would indeed "stand on guard".

Beautiful country, just like the people.

I‘d support OUR country, and fight
:cdn:

Canada can count on me.

Now, I must run away quickly before all the rhetoric and dogma in this thread buries me alive! ;)

Cheers.
:cdn:

If the Canadian government is destroying that which I believe to be "canadian" values, and someone else is going to set the balance right, I might not be happy about an invasion, but I might be more upset that one was necessary.
Now this scares me. Why wouldn‘t you do something to set the balance right, after all it is your government, elected by you and responsible to you. Besides how can an external observer possibly set the balance right? How can you be sure they have your best interests in mind, or any of your interests for that matter.

Me, well I‘d fight. I‘d defend my country against any invader regardless of the reason. Quite simply Canada fought for and won its freedom a long time ago and if someone else takes issue with the way we run our affairs that is their problem. Now at the same time we must realize that were the above example real it would not be the fault of the government, as many of you have expressed, it would be the product of Canadian apathy.

It astounds me how many Canadians don‘t vote and still run around complaining about the lack of democracy in this country. Even my own mother once said that "Canadians get one day of democracy every four years", despite the fact that she‘s lived in this country for over thirty years and hasn‘t once applied for citizenship, you don‘t get much more Canadian than that.

Not to mention that those that do vote haven‘t got the foggiest idea how to vote. The whole western theory that you should vote for the party that is going to win the majority vote or you wont get anything done is a big fallacy. This has been going on for decades and the west still hasn‘t realized that if you vote for a party that doesn‘t care about the west you‘re still going to get screwed. I mean come on...it‘s basic knowledge, responsible government only works if you vote for the best candidate in your riding regardless of party association. Canadians don‘t elect their Prime Minister, never have and never will, so we should stop pretending that we do, and vote for the MP that you actually want representing you, before this all gets too far out of hand.

*Steppin off of my soapbox*

Back