• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

82 Patern Ruck Frame Question

medic65726

Reaction score
Hopefully someone here can satisfy my curiosity.
Before everyone gets into the down sides of the 82 Patt, I do know about the issues such as frame durability.
The Search & Rescue team I volunteer with was looking for something to carry a bunch of survival and medical gear, but the challenge was finding a ruck with enough space to carry our massive arctic sleeping bags and the only Civvie options we could find cost several times as much.
Anyway, I was in Toronto and agreed to pick up a few of the rucks for the team. Now over the years I have seen many of these rucks and have had one of my own since my cadet days in the early 90's.
All of the rucks I have seen, the wire frame had an enamel like coating on it and a flat mini shelf like strip on the bottom that the valise straps went through.
Well one surplus store tried to sell me rucks with these frames that had absolutely no paint or coating on them (not just chipped off but obviously never had any) that had bright fresh welds, but surface rust on the wires. None of them had the flat strip on the bottom either. I turned them down as I thought they were knock-offs but the seller insisted they were legist, issued items. I figured he was full of crap and only bought some with the coated frames that I am familiar with.
So, was he full of it, or am I wrong.
Thanks for your help.

Simon

I think you were right to turn it down. I would definately be exchanging a ruck if it needed to be welded. You are correct that there is a small flat strip on the bottom with 2 narrow slots for the valice straps.

Back