• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3rd Canadian Infantry Division on D Day

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Here's the list of Unit's that landed on Juno Beach.

3rd Canadian Infantry Division
The 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landing on Juno Beach was supported by the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade and additional units.

3rd Canadian Infantry Division Major-General Roderick Keller

7th Canadian Infantry Brigade   Brigadier Harry W. Foster

Royal Winnipeg Rifles   Lt-Col J.M. Meldram

Regina Rifle Regiment   Lt-Col F.M. Matheson

Canadian Scottish Regiment   Lt-Col F.N. Cabeldu

8th Canadian Infantry Brigade   Brigadier Kenneth G. Blackader

Queen's Own Rifles of Canada     Lt-Col J.G. Spragge

Le Régiment de la Chaudière     Lt-Col J.B. Mathieu

North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment     Lt-Col D.B. Buell

9th Canadian Infantry Brigade   Brigadier D.G. Cunningham

Highland Light Infantry of Canada     Lt-Col F.M Griffiths

Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Highlanders   Lt. Col F.M Christiansen

Nova Scotia Highlanders     Lt-Col C. Petch

Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (MG)    

7th Reconnaissance Regiment

(17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars)   Lt-Col D.C. Spry

Divisional Royal Canadian Artillery  Brigadier P.A.S. Todd

12th, 13th, 14th Field Regiments, Royal Canadian Artillery

19th Army Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery

3rd Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery

4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery    

Divisional Royal Canadian Engineers    Lt-Col R. S. Cassidy

5th,, 6th, 16th, 18th Field Companies, R.C.E

3rd Canadian Field Park Company, R.C.E

3rd Canadian Divisional Bridge Platoon, R.C.E    

R.C.C.S. - 3rd Infantry Divisional Signals Lt-Col G.O. Gamble

R.C.A.S.C. - 3rd Infantry Divisional Troops Company    

R.C.A.M.C. - No.14, No.22, No.23 Field Ambulance    

2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade   Brigadier R.A. Wyman

6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (1st Hussars)   Lt-Col R.J. Colwell

10th Canadian Armoured Regiment (Fort Garry Horse)   Lt-Col R.E.A. Morton

27th Armoured Regiment (Sherbrooke Fusiliers)   Lt-Col M.B.K. Gordon

Other Units Supporting the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division    

No. 48 Royal Marine Commando, 4th Special Service Brigade

26th & 80th Assault Squadrons,

5th & 6th Assault Rgt. RE (Churchill AVRE tanks)

2 detachments 22nd Dragoons, 79th Armoured Division. (Crab flail tanks)

3rd and 4th batteries, 2nd Royal Marine Armoured Support Regiment (Centaurs).

C Squadron of the Inns of Court Regiment (Armoured Recce)

I would like to add a Regiment to your list. 6th Anti-Tank Regt. They were II Corps HQ troops on the books, but they often holed up on the lines for quick reaction to Armd threats..  My gramp was in 74 battery. He was the driver for a tank that towed the 17 pounder.

VVV

Al

screaminjimmy said:
I would like to add a Regiment to your list. 6th Anti-Tank Regt. They were II Corps HQ troops on the books, but they often holed up on the lines for quick reaction to Armd threats..  My gramp was in 74 battery. He was the driver for a tank that towed the 17 pounder.

VVV

Al

As a corps unit - the corps wasn't activated until July, when the 2nd Division landed - would they have landed on 6 June?

And just because I hate to see the Field Ambs all lumped together into a group of meaningless numbers,
These three were proud units:

14 ( Moncton ) Field Ambulance  R.C.A.M.C.  { Militia unit on Active Service }

22 ( Halifax ) Field Ambulance R.C.A.M.C.  { Militia unit on Active Service }

23 Field Ambulance R.C.A.M.C.  { Canada's only Regular Force Field Ambulance in 1939, from Petawawa Ont. }

Brig General Harry Foster became MajorGeneral Harry Foster. General Foster's son, Tony Foster
wrote an excellent book about his father, and the Commander of the 12th SS Adolf Hitler Youth
SS Panzer Division Kurt Meyer - Meyer's troops murdered Canadian POW's. The President of the
General Court Martial which convicted Meyer was Major General Foster - the senior prosecutor was
Major Clarence Campbell, later head of the NHL. Tony Foster's book, "Meeting of Generals" is one
of the best documents about the Canadian Army. Tony Foster, author and screen writer, won
three Gemini Awards for his Screen Play " The Sound and the Silence" - a story of Alexander
Graham Bell - Tony Foster, formerly of Halifax NS, pilot, screen writer, excellent host now resides
in Toronto the Good. An old friend, MacLeod

My grandad was operating off Omaha Beach in the Rescue Tug Assiduous on D-Day.. he was 15 at the time :eek:

are you shore (lol) that all these troops made in before midnight? he , my gramp, was probably half way across the channel when the lights went out. i think his box lunch was on order 6 june. he landed 7 june . i think that they knew that they were going to stand up 2 corps at some point and they knew that because they brought the equip and personnel. ... you know, gramp was a track and chassis mechanic when he landed, then he became a driver for 6th anti-tank. there weren't many drivers left on the 7th....

Dear Sir: I have just read your post regarding the North Shore New Brunswick Regiment on D-Day. My Dad was in that Regiment and I have found lots of information about the Regiment, however I can find not one picture of the Regiment at that time. I only have one photo of my Dad while he was in the army and it is only a head shot. Is there any possible way that you could help direct me to ANY photos of the Regiment at all? I would so greatly appreciate it. thank you for your time.  Ronnie Eldridge..................ronnie2000@ns.sympatico.ca

A good source for photos is the National Archives of Canada.

Try www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02011502_.html and then experiment with keywords.

6Fd's War Dairy of D.Day about the first wave is very clinical as all War Diaries are.

I have had the Honour to meet some of those who did land in the first wave and it was at the Annual D.Day Dinner.
Pictures,films,documentaries can't take the place of living history in the form of our Vet's.
One Gent. was held back even though he was just a Staff Sgt,he knew to much of our Engineer plans and he landed D.Day pluss 12 hrs.

6Fd still holds its annual D.Day Dinner in Honour of those who have gone before. :cdn: :salute:

:cdn: :salute:
Hi my name is Beverly Regina I am named after Dads beloved regiment The Regina Rifle he was also o Juno Beach and in The 3rd division

Thankyou to you all

Back