• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

21 May 14 - LCol Dan Bobbitt, 2 RCHA, R.I.P.

H

Heraske

Shocking.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:34PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:11PM EDT

A decorated soldier was killed Wednesday in a training accident at CFB Wainwright in Alberta.

Lt.-Col. Dan Bobbitt died when the light armoured vehicle he was in rolled over, CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson reported. He was commanding soldiers in a major military exercise at the base when the accident occurred around 11 a.m. local time.

The military only confirmed that a rollover accident took place and that some personnel were injured.
Photos
Lt. Col. Dan Bobbit

Lt. Col. Dan Bobbit died when his armoured vehicle rolled over in a training exercise at CFB Wrainwright in Alberta on Wednesday, May 21, 2014.
CFB Wainwright

A high ranking member of the Canadian forces was killed during a military exercise at CFB Wainwright in Alberta.

CFB Wainwright, one of the busiest army bases in Canada, is located 210 kilometres east of Edmonton.

Bobbitt was the commanding officer of the 2nd Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. For more than 25 years, he had served in a number of military roles and completed multiple deployments to war zones.

He served one mission in Afghanistan in 2007 and two tours of Bosnia.

Late Wednesday, Defence Minister Rob Nicholson offered his condolences in a statement.

“It is with profound sorrow that I learned of the death of a Canadian Armed Forces soldier while on exercise in Wainwright, Alberta. I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the fallen soldier,” he said.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones as they deal with this tragic loss, and with the families of the soldiers who were seriously injured."

A friend described Bobbitt Wednesday as "truly an exceptional officer and a first rate human being.

“A family man, friend to everyone, dynamic leader, combat proven and had a very bright future ahead of him. He was a really great guy," the friend said.

Bobbitt leaves behind his wife and three children.

This is not the first time a soldier has died at CFB Wainwright. An American soldier was killed in 2008 during a military exercise there and in 2007, a Quebec-based soldier died when a 10-tonne truck he was driving rolled over.

In 2005, one Canadian soldier was killed and two others injured when a light armoured vehicle rolled into water during training at the base.

With a report from CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/decorated-soldier-dies-in-training-accident-at-cfb-wainwright-1.1832468

I join with others in offering condolences to the family of LCol Dan Bobbitt, Commanding Officer of the 2nd Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, who was killed in a training accident during Ex Maple Resolve 2014 in Wainwright.

There is a report, including some biographical details and condolences from Prime Minister Harper, in the Globe and Mail.

My condolences for the family and all involved.  You will be in my prayers for the next while.

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends ....  :salute:

This, from the PM:
“I was deeply saddened to hear about the tragic accident today in Wainwright, Alberta that took the life of Lieutenant-Colonel Daniel Bobbitt and injured other Canadian Armed Forces members.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those affected by this tragedy, including all base personnel. We also offer our prayers for a speedy recovery to those who were injured.

“This accident is a painful reminder of how Canadian Armed Forces members put their lives on the line every day in the defence of Canada, whether it be in theatre or training here at home.

“Lieutenant-Colonel Bobbitt lost his life today in the line of duty. His service to our country will be honoured and remembered.”

The CAF, and especially the Artillery, have lost a fine officer. Everyone who knew Dan, liked and respected him immensely! He was a good friend, fantastic husband and father, a respected mentor and just an all-around good guy, as all those Bobbitts are.

Thoughts are with the Artillery family, the Regt, Monica and kids, and Mike and his family.

RIP Dandy Dan, you were a good man. We as a nation have lost a fine officer. 

My condolences to Monica and the children, you are in our thoughts.

Dan is a peer of my generation.  He and I were instructors at the school together.  We worked together frequently over our careers.

He will be missed.  EOM Dan, stand easy.

It is with profound sorrow that I learned of the death of Lieutenant-Colonel Dan Bobbitt while on exercise in Wainwright, Alberta. I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Lieutenant-Colonel Bobbitt. Our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones as they deal with this tragic loss, and with the families of the four soldiers who were seriously injured.”

The Honourable Rob Nicholson, PC, QC
MP for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence

“The Canadian Army cares deeply for each and every member. It goes without saying that we take every death seriously and as such we will explore all facets of these situations to try and learn from them while also providing the best support to the Army family whenever a death does occur. I express my heartfelt condolences to his wife and loved ones.”

Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse
Commander, Canadian Army

“I am very saddened by the loss of Lieutenant-Colonel Dan Bobbitt during a vehicle rollover at Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of Lieutenant-Colonel Bobbitt and the injured soldiers and they can be assured that the Canadian Army will provide the best support possible in their time of need.”

Brigadier-General Omer Lavoie
Commander, 4th Canadian Division

DND Info machine

RIP LCol.  My sincere condolences to the family, loved ones and Regimental Family. 

:cdn:

Thoughts and condolences to all who knew him.

Rest In Peace Sir.

:salute:

I have DJed a number of mess dinners for this Regt prior to joining the military, and although I did not know LCol Bobbitt personally, I would like to express my condolences to the family and the 2RCHA.  I know that the unit and the family will be supportive of each other, and I just wanted to express my feelings as well.

God is with you, and so are we.  Sorry for your loss, and we are all here for you.

Rev

Thank-you all, the response has been overwhelming. We feel Dan's loss deeply, and truly appreciate the kind words and incredible support we have received from friends, family, the military community and even strangers.

Dan loved his job and we are exceptionally proud of his achievements. He was a dedicated family man, loyal soldier and true friend.

Our thoughts are with the injured soldiers of 2 RCHA and their families.

My condolences on the loss of LTC Bobbitt.

Those we love don't go away, They walk beside us every day, Unseen, unheard, but always near, Still loved, still missed and very dear.

CTV coverage of Monica Ward Bobbitt making a statement in CFB Petawawa on her husbands death.  Some very enlightening comments by Mercedes Stephenson as well.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=368961&fb_action_ids=10152124593646232&fb_action_types=og.recommends

From Mike on another means: 
There will be a public visitation on Tuesday May 27th from 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm at Murphy Funeral Home and Chapel, located at 296 Isabella Street Pembroke, ON.

Please see http://www.murphyfuneralhome.ca/ for additional information.

Dan’s funeral will be held on Wednesday May 28th at 1pm, at the St. Francis of Assisi chapel, with overflow in St. George’s chapel in Garrison Petawawa.

Please share this information with those who may be interested in attending, and thanks to all for your help and support.

For those who are unable to attend, Dan's funeral will be streamed live today, via the link below.

You can join early, and the broadcast will begin at 12:30 ET today.

Thanks to all those who worked hard to make this happen, I know Dan's extended family and international colleagues truly appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIjt_YohEH4

Dan will have three Griffons for a flyby, courtesy of 400 Squadron and 427 Squadron.

Dan's funeral has been made available online. Many thanks to the RCDs and all those involved in making this available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXzC28_z7c&list=UUsm0DVu5W1U7n2DqkrSL0fA

A beautiful day for Remembrance Day Ceremony at Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa this 11th of November 2014. 

Back