• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

There's a very large number of youngsters out there who aren't voting conservative strictly because of their failures on climate change and environmental protection, but otherwise would.
I don't know if 30 qualifies me as a youngster, but barring a surprise in the leadership race and impressive 3 years I won't vote for them because the proportion of the base and caucus that think that either/ both of Derek Sloan being a good choice for PM and the current status of the GOP is something to aspire to have way too loud of voice.

There's a very large number of youngsters out there who aren't voting conservative strictly because of their failures on climate change and environmental protection, but otherwise would.
Much of the information the youngsters base their decision on is disinformation and their voting is misplaced. For example, they have climate concerns yet applaud the shutdown of ethically sourced Canadian O&G processed to the highest environmental standards anywhere, while Canada blocks pipes across the country and seeks supplies from the ME where there are virtually no environmental standards that compare to those in Canada.

Much of the information the youngsters base their decision on is disinformation and their voting is misplaced. For example, they have climate concerns yet applaud the shutdown of ethically sourced Canadian O&G processed to the highest environmental standards anywhere, while Canada blocks pipes across the country and seeks supplies from the ME where there are virtually no environmental standards that compare to those in Canada.
1) what age is someone considered past this risk in your books?

2) have you seen the fuckin garbage some of this cohort of yours relies on for news?

2) have you seen the fuckin garbage some of this cohort of yours relies on for news?
Well in that case, let's just go for it:

Cancel all Canadian O&G for feel good reasons. Rely on O&G from countries with substandard environmental stewardship until you can get enough wind/solar infrastructure and batteries sourced from China to meet our energy needs.

Cancel all Canadian O&G for feel good reasons. Rely on O&G from countries with substandard environmental stewardship until you can get enough wind/solar infrastructure and batteries sourced from China to meet our energy needs.
You're going to have to do better to explain to me how this relates to where anyone gets their news.

I've never noticed any generation of young people being particularly interested in news, but I've only observed 4 including my own. What young people are influenced by is peers, led by whomever has influence among peers. Facebook and Twitter are junk, but young people are more inclined to use TikTok. Which is also junk.

But there are plenty of older people getting their "information" from CBC, CTV, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. Their ignorance doesn't set them much apart.

You're going to have to do better to explain to me how this relates to where anyone gets their news.
Where did I say "news"?

I'm saying the assertion that conservatives are failing on the environment is bullshit.

Have you seen the garbage shoved down the throats of kids at school lately? Not mention everything is apparent due to climate change, etc, etc. There are good reasons that CBC news, CNN audiences are drying up, because people are tired of being told half-truths and having politically correct opinion rammed down their throats.

Or Windsor, Ontario...

Electric vehicle battery plant set for Windsor, Ont., signals Canada is a 'player' in auto industry's future​

'Largest automotive investment' for country's 1st EV battery plant expected to start operating in 2024​

Canada’s 1st EV battery plant to be built in Windsor, Ont. by 2025​

Windsor, Ont., will soon be home to Canada’s first electric vehicle battery plant – a joint venture between automaker Stellantis and South Korean battery-maker LG Energy Solution. The $4.9-billion plant is expected to create 2,500 jobs in a region hard hit by layoffs in the automotive industry.

A planned $4.9-billion electric vehicle battery plant in Windsor, Ont., that is anticipated will help the city reclaim its position as Canada's automotive capital promises to be a significant economic generator and create thousands of new jobs.

"This is massive news, not just for the Canadian auto industry. This is huge for Windsor, the Canadian economy and Canadian jobs," said Brian Kingston, chief executive officer of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association.

"We know the auto industry is going through a significant transformation to electrification right now and for Canada to secure an investment of this size and scale into battery manufacturing ... indicates that we are a player in this transition."

On Wednesday, South Korean battery manufacturer LG Energy Solution and European automaker Stellantis, alongside all three levels of government, announced the "largest automotive investment" in the province and country, which will bring the first lithium-ion electric vehicle (EV) battery plant to Canada. It's set to be operational in 2024.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford called the plant "game changing" and said it puts the province at the "forefront of the EV revolution."

Ford would not divulge the amount of taxpayer money that will be spent on the factory, adding "it would compromise some negotiations moving forward with other companies as well, but it's a massive investment and it's hundreds of millions of dollars."

According to Stellantis and LG, the plant is anticipated to create 2,500 new jobs and supply batteries to Stellantis plants across North America, and is one of two that the companies are building.

Have you seen the garbage shoved down the throats of kids at school lately? Not mention everything is apparent due to climate change, etc, etc. There are good reasons that CBC news, CNN audiences are drying up, because people are tired of being told half-truths and having politically correct opinion rammed down their throats.
Yes.

I don't care if the likes of CBC and CNN dry up, I know you don't.

I fuckin a well do care if either are being replaced by the likes of the Rebel, and so should everyone.

Garbage comes from all sides, not just the convenient CBC/CNN side.

Where did I say "news"?

I'm saying the assertion that conservatives are failing on the environment is bullshit.
So "news" doesn't mean the same as "information"?

I think you're splitting some hairs there.

I'll agree with you - the assertion that the CPC is failing on the environment IS bullshit. There's no way they could pass or fail, it's the LPC in power.

So "news" doesn't mean the same as "information"?

I think you're splitting some hairs there.

I'll agree with you - the assertion that the CPC is failing on the environment IS bullshit. There's no way they could pass or fail, it's the LPC in power.
Equating "news" with "information" is a big problem.

Equating "news" with "information" is a big problem.

news noun
new information about something that has happened recently

Yes, I can see the difficulty. :rolleyes:

It is my personal opinion that Equating "news" with "information" is a big problem.
FTFY.

I get information from news articles. Not sure your method.

When I read informa news stuff I most often find another source for it. When I can't I don't make a habit of citing it. Pretty simple.

But there are plenty of older people getting their "information" from CBC, CTV, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Some of us "older people" have the rather old-fashioned habit of turning off the TV, put on some music, and read the newspaper.

aka "Fake News!" :)

If people couldn't afford kids in the first place... don't have 'em.

The poorer you are, the more you get in CBB. It pays to be poor in Canada where someone like my wife and I, who earn too much to qualify for anything meaningful, pay poor people to have children through our income tax. What a wonderful system....

FTFY.

I get information from news articles. Not sure your method.

When I read informa news stuff I most often find another source for it. When I can't I don't make a habit of citing it. Pretty simple.
Also, if the source has a history of putting out BS, I discount the article especially if it’s not published anywhere else.

If it puts out BS I agree with, it’s still BS.

Publication elsewhere hardly matters. Surely it doesn't escape notice how often a chorus of journalists sing the same song?

Reactions: QV
Publication elsewhere hardly matters. Surely it doesn't escape notice how often a chorus of journalists sing the same song?
Opinion pieces, possibly and likely but there is a enough of a variety to find those.

I find opinion pieces in the Sun quite different than what I might find in the Toronto Star.

Take the gun lobby protest that took place on parliament hill as few years ago.

Organisers said 5000 people showed up. The media said about 800. Cries of fake news and bought media were claimed because the CBC reported 800. But looking at CTV and Global they said the same thing 800. But bought media right?

But they all used the same source. The Parliamentary Police Service gave them those numbers.

Sometimes journalists sing the same tune because they get their info from the same places.

But again, OP Eds are a different beast but people confuse them sometimes.

When I see the same phrases repeated, I suspect collusion or simple mimickry. And I doubt that just because the Journ-o-list was exposed, that writers stopped sharing ideas about messaging.

Trivially, easily verified facts are not generally at issue. Nor are beat reports about mundane things unfolding. The contentious issues arise exactly where people interested in shaping opinions are doing their work. These are the sources of the myths, the "priors", the "things everyone knows that just aren't so". Many people who think they are widely informed are just prisoners of someone else's mind.

Reactions: QV
Back