• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

He governed while a member of a party with the name liberal in it. Some won't be able to get past that.
You mean some will be so myopic as to not appreciate the insight he would have dealing with Justin and his Liberal GenZ’ers… 😉

A loss for responsible progressive conservatism, if that happens.

Time to flood Team Blue with reasonable members…

I am hoping Peter McKay gets in. I don’t think Charest can win the leadership and I don’t think Pollievre can appeal to enough non- party members to win a federal election. Despite the smears, McKay is no “red Tory”. He’s just not a bible-thumping angry white guy.

Tasha Kheiriddin looks interesting. Always enjoyed her writing and media hits, but I don’t think she has any experience in elected office. Michelle Remple-Garner should run. Not sure why she’s sitting out. I would love to see Rona Ambrose run, but I also want a unicorn too.

Something for the next Tory leader to be aware of.

“Conspiracies have found more fertile ground on the right. We Conservatives have a moral responsibility to call this out, not dog whistle to it. Yet as noted here recently by Conservative MP Michelle Rempel Garner, that’s exactly what too many Conservatives have done, with little or no consequences. This isn’t good for the party, and worse, it’s hurting our country.”

Self-critical thought is not high on the list of activities of many…instead choosing to take a wave top view if things presented and not validate with varied sources to either support or refute.

Would someone mind explaining why Charest would be the CPC leader of choice?

Would someone mind explaining why Charest would be the CPC leader of choice?
A few things come to mind.

1. He’s moderate fiscal Conservative
2. He can get the Quebec vote or some of it. He can probably increase the seat count there
3. He is claiming he can get a pipeline through Quebec. Not sure he can but he’s probably better placed to get that done.
4. He has experience in various ministerial portfolios including having been Deputy PM.
5. He’s not Pierre Poilievre
6. He can likely unite the party
7. He has experience at the provincial level and with inter provincial issues including being Premier.
8. He’s an effective communicator that can get a CPC message out better than what we have seen in recent years.

That’s doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his past issues though.

I think he’s electable. I’m just not sure the CPC has the current level of maturity to pick him.

2. He can get the Quebec vote or some of it. He can probably increase the seat count there
3. He is claiming he can get a pipeline through Quebec. Not sure he can but he’s probably better placed to get that done.
4. He has experience in various ministerial portfolios including having been Deputy PM.
7. He has experience at the provincial level and with inter provincial issues including being Premier.
8. He’s an effective communicator that can get a CPC message out better than what we have seen in recent years.

I think he’s electable. I’m just not sure the CPC has the current level of maturity to pick him.
I'd be concerned he would shed votes from the West, the question is would his gains in the East make up for that?

I'd be concerned he would shed votes from the West, the question is would his gains in the East make up for that?
‘Conservative’ math says quite reasonably yes. There is likely going to be CPC bleed to the PPC anyway in the West.

I wouldn't be.

Long time conservative here who is fed up with the membership from the West. The problem with the party has little to do with who is the actual leader but more to do with the contortions the incumbent leader has to go through to keep the western wing placated. That hinders the party nationally.

The trouble right now is that the social conservatives have too large a voice within the party. Tell them to shut up and suck it up. What are they gonna do? Vote NDP? Let the PPC have them; then they'll be their problem.

🍻

I wouldn't be.

Long time conservative here who is fed up with the membership from the West. The problem with the party has little to do with who is the actual leader but more to do with the contortions the incumbent leader has to go through to keep the western wing placated. That hinders the party nationally.

The trouble right now is that the social conservatives have too large a voice within the party. Tell them to shut up and suck it up. What are they gonna do? Vote NDP? Let the PPC have them; then they'll be their problem.

🍻
I think PP is too effective as an attack dog and would have a hard time pivoting to the role of leader. That's where Charest would be the moderate face while PP continues to get under the skin of the Liberals. Shelia Copps could never shed the image of the screaming banshee and I think PP is in the same mold.

The CPC can loose a large percentage of the vote out west. Its the Social Conservatives of Ontario and Quebec who moved to the PPC that cost the CPC a few seats out east.

🍻
IMHO, I would change that to any conservative who has abandoned liberalism in the broad sense. I am sure there are social conservatives that haven’t abandoned liberal values and they shouldn’t be hounded out. Generally, these social conservatives know that a political party that wishes to govern must reflect the values of the broader society, and influencing society to share their values must be done outside politics.

The opposite of liberalism isn’t conservatism, but illiberalism. IMO illiberalism doesn’t belong in the CPC.

I'd be ok with a Charest CPC in government, with a PPC to the CPC like the NDP is to the LPC.
I think that is a realistic scenario. Assuming he is picked as leader. I’m sure he has enough contacts and networks to make him competitive. What could hurt Poilievre is someone like Lewis who would steal some votes from him. I mean realistically she could come up the center like O’toole and Scheer did.

Past corruption investigations against his provincial political party as well as his role as an advisor for Huawei on the Meng case may work against him.

As far as I recall he wasn't the most popular politician while Premier of Quebec...some of his electoral success was likely as much as poor opposition choices as support for him. To be honest hi might end up being more popular in Ontario/the Atlantic than in Quebec in a federal election.

I think PP is too effective as an attack dog and would have a hard time pivoting to the role of leader. That's where Charest would be the moderate face while PP continues to get under the skin of the Liberals. Shelia Copps could never shed the image of the screaming banshee and I think PP is in the same mold.

The CPC can loose a large percentage of the vote out west. Its the Social Conservatives of Ontario and Quebec who moved to the PPC that cost the CPC a few seats out east.
PP is a pretty love him/hate him kind of guy and that Sheila Copps comparison is a great one for the same reasons. May be an effective MP, and a good role as opposition, but ultimately a lot of people would vote against them (instead of voting for the other person).

Even when I agree with the basics of what PP is saying, I still want to punch him in the face, and don't trust him on a visceral level. It will be a frosty day in hell with the Leafs hoisting the cup before I vote for a PC party with him at the helm. Lots of non-punchable and competent options though but don't see this being anything other than yet another CPC opposition party with him in charge. So unless they happen to put a really good candidate in my riding I would keep looking for the 'least worst' option in the remaining pool come election time

I won’t say punchable, but not honest.

During the last elections (the complete waste of 2/3 BILLION CANADIAN DOLLARS driven by someone showing extremely narcissistic behaviour), one of PP’s canvassers came
Up to our front door, tucked a pamphlet in the handle without ringing the doorbell, and rushed down the drive to the next house…pamphlet says, “Sorry you were out! I dropped by to let you know how I could keep representing you after this election….blah, blah, blah…”

He wasn’t there, and his minion didn’t even check to see that we were home to chat, at least as a representative of PP.

Maybe some don’t think this anything beyond campaigning SOPs, but the fact that the pamphlet was written as though PP himself had come to the door, but with no answer, in my books shows a LM underlaying dishonesty in making one’s case.

Back