• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I like him but face it, he got to the top of the greasy pole and stayed there for as long as he did because he was absolutely ruthless. He was no Joe Clark or Robert Stanfield. Harper just happened to be a quietly competent asshole I liked.
One can be a nice guy and still ruthlessly effective when needed.
It’s when one’s just a ruthless asshole that people really go after you.

"Asshole" is such a broad term. But curious what it is about Harper that made him an "asshole"?

"Asshole" is such a broad term. But curious what it is about Harper that made him an "asshole"?
He broke quite a few rice bowels along the way. The changes to the Fisheries Act, killed a thriving cottage industry of biologists writing environmental screening reports, often making very good money doing it, while living in small towns/cities.

Most people can't tell you why they didn't like Harper... But they sure know they don't like him.

Just like the EA... People love it! But have no idea what it means or does.
I didn’t particularly like Harper and I know why I didn’t.

But what you say is true in a lot of cases. Lots of of people hate Trudeau but don’t know why either. But they sure hate him.

Aside from a few other things I don’t like Trudeau for pretty much the same reasons I didn’t like Harper.

But what you say is true in a lot of cases. Lots of of people hate Trudeau but don’t know why either. But they sure hate him.

Aside from a few other things I don’t like Trudeau for pretty much the same reasons I didn’t like Harper.
I can give you a long list of why I despise JT if you want.

I can give you a long list of why I despise JT if you want.
So can I and I bet our lists look very similar!

For Trudeau or Harper?
Harper always came off to me as a bit of a Robot, admittedly I generally don't like Politicians period.
I can't recall when a National Candidate that I liked was running in Canada either though.

I am currently in Arizona. Many, many Americans do not like Trudeau at all.

They don't like Biden either.

Reactions: QV
I am currently in Arizona. Many, many Americans do not like Trudeau at all.

They don't like Biden either.
Lol. No surprise there. When I was in New Zealand and mused about possibly buying a property there for winter a lady from Arizona jumped in about all the efling Canadians in Arizona and said to me no thanks. The kiwi I was talking to told her that it was a good thing we weren’t talking about Arizona and I told her I had no intention of ever moving to Arizona so she could relax.

Most people can't tell you why they didn't like Harper... But they sure know they don't like him.

Just like the EA... People love it! But have no idea what it means or does.
These are direct results of successful media campaigns.

"Look at the polls, EA good!"
"Introvert Harper has an evil hidden agenda!"

These are direct results of successful media campaigns.

"Look at the polls, EA good!"
"Introvert Harper has an evil hidden agenda!"
Or, there were legit reasons to dislike him. It can actually be more than just socks and sweaters vests.

Or, there were legit reasons to dislike him. It can actually be more than just socks and sweaters vests.
Anyone can find a reason to dislike someone. In the case of Harper, this was greatly facilitated by the media whom Harper defunded (IIRC). Note the vast difference when Trudeau promised to restore the hundreds of millions in media funding. You can't tell me there was no impact here.

Anyone can find a reason to dislike someone. In the case of Harper, this was greatly facilitated by the media whom Harper defunded (IIRC). Note the vast difference when Trudeau promised to restore the hundreds of millions in media funding. You can't tell me there was no impact here.
Relationship with the media was definitely an issue. But that works both ways. The CPC and Harper at the time didn’t exactly endear themselves to the media.

Endearment should never be a requirement for reporting the truth.
Access and transparency is. Harper talked a big game but his team wasn’t the most transparent of accessible. Lots of self inflicted wounds. Don’t get me wrong, he was accused of a lot of things unjustly. But that wasn’t navigated very well.

Most people can't tell you why they didn't like Harper

I keep asking, because I keep hearing people express that kind of sentiment. But "asshole" to me has to be personal, not policy. And it can't be because extroverts don't understand introverts ("cold fish" is a statement of ignorance, not an assessment), or because bunches of people who thought they were so important as to need to be included in every discussion were left out. I might call PET an asshole for his Salmon Arm Salute, but not because he invoked the WMA or once did an inappropriate pirouette.

Back