• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 Edmonton police officers shot and killed

these are becoming far too routine.
AND that is a problem. I have said this before if there are minimal consequences for your adverse actions against society then you will be emboldened to push the envelope, knowing that some "do gooder" will see you released ASAP after arrest.

Back in the day, bank robberies were fairly common and most were committed by Montreal thugs coming down the 401 and were tending to become quite violent. N & B were allegedly given free rein so long as the problem was solved. It was.

When they asked Willie Sutton, "Why do you rob banks?" He replied, "Because that's where the money is."

At least it made sense.

This is what I don't understand about "back in the day" and now.

Of course, police work is dangerous. Always has been.

But, it seems to me - I don't know this for a fact, just my uneducated impression - that most of the danger to police came from armed robbers.

Now, the danger seems to come more from mental cases.

When they asked Willie Sutton, "Why do you rob banks?" He replied, "Because that's where the money is."

At least it made sense.

But, it seems to me - I don't know this for a fact, just my uneducated impression - that most of the danger to police came from armed robbers.

And the long-term numbers would bear that out, but they are historically skewed. In the past, there were more armed robberies (I'm thinking institutional, such as banks), banks had a lot more ready cash, and cops used to just rush into the scenes. Little of that happens now. Domestic calls and the 'routine traffic stop' and now the biggies.

I have seen similar graphs on StatsCan, note the numbers cover way back into the 1960s.

And the long-term numbers would bear that out, but they are historically skewed. In the past, there were more armed robberies (I'm thinking institutional, such as banks), banks had a lot more ready cash, and cops used to just rush into the scenes. Little of that happens now. Domestic calls and the 'routine traffic stop' and now the biggies.

I have seen similar graphs on StatsCan, note the numbers cover way back into the 1960s.

Usually by the time we’re responding to ‘the random crazy’ who willl in fact pose a deadly threat, serious violence is already well underway (obviously not always, as was just seen in Quebec). The ‘routine’ traffic stops, and the domestic at the house you’ve already been to four times this month are the ones that really escalate by surprise.

One of the biggest dangers also remains non-violent traffic hazards. Being out on a traffic stop on a busy road sucks.

Hey folks,

Took the last 2 weeks away from being online much. The regimental funeral on Monday was the turning page for me come bed time, told myself when I woke up Tuesday it was time to pony up.

I just wanted to apologize - some of my initials facts were wrong, when I was trying to clear up some things on here shortly after it happened (when some of the details were still hazy.)

I was working that night, but still ended up getting some things incorrect - which I then posted on this thread when I was trying to ease some of the initial confusion. (I’ve never been involved on this type of call before, and nobody involved was still alive, minus the mother who was in critical condition at the time. I think mentally I was in shock but I hadn’t quite accepted it yet)

I did want to say a big genuine Thank You to the Army.ca community

Whether it’s the genuine, real concern the members on here have when they hear of news like this. The gestures and donations of good wishes, and support for the law enforcement community which various members do in their own ways, it’s meant a lot to the EPS & hasn’t gone remotely unnoticed.

On Monday I was intensely moved when I saw how many citizens lined the streets, and how many people came out from the office buildings & nearby businesses to pay their respects as the procession passed.

While at the service, I even met some members from NYPD & Sarasota PD (Florida, I may have the spelling wrong) who had flown in for the week just to show their support…when I say I was intensely moved by that, it’s an understatement.

Thanks again guys & gals for always being a welcome distraction throughout my days, boosting my mood when needed, and the well natured ribbing that gets thrown around as we find a way to derail every single thread we can 😅

And in keeping with trying to keep my post on topic…

I always stop (if I see it coming soon enough) a wee ways back & try to keep the outside lane clear of traffic. Although I have found Alberta drivers to be pretty darn good overall at changing lanes & slowing right down when passing emergency vehicles (even if it was just because they didn’t know what the laws were so they slowed down out of caution)

(I’ve never been involved on this type of call before, and nobody involved was still alive, minus the mother who was in critical condition at the time. I think mentally I was in shock but I hadn’t quite accepted it yet)

Glad you are ok.

CBH, know that both in here and with those around you when you’re out on patrol, there is genuine appreciation for you and those in LE to do what you folks do every day to try and keep the citizens safe. Again, condolences to the families and colleagues of the slain officers.

At least it made sense.

from the 8 odd killed in past while, BC RCMP officer - evicting a camper - likely mental health, the South Simcoe ambush - doesnt appear clearly mental health, the Toronto bike officer - criminal who ambushed a cop doing a java run, the OPP fella - criminal ambush, the Surete - not sure, might be a bit of both, the Edmonton ambush - nothing reported saying the killer was dealing with m.h. so there is clearly issues with the mentally ill but its not solely that. my belief is that people in crisis with pre conditions or not. just don't give one fuck about smoking a cop. and for the criminals, it gains them rep in jail. and they know that if they put up their hands, they will live. i say string them up. or this will continue.

Trust me they aren’t that smart. Tv shows are a fantasy of what forensics is.
Oh goodness aren’t they ever…

So the investigating officer manages to collect a hair sample, or lift a fingerprint, or grabs a cup out of the garbage that will have the suspect’s saliva on it.

And now they just…bring it back to the lab?? The lab is also right where they work!? There aren’t a few dozen samples to be analyzed waiting in the que already? The lab tech can get to their sample like right now?

And that little hair sample tells them the person’s name, DOB, current address, current employment, past employment, anybody they’ve ever butted heads with, AND their drivers license picture??

Well damn. I’d be closing files in less than an hour too if it worked the way it does on TV 😅 (okay probably not an hour…but you get my drift…)

(Also super helpful when every single suspect confesses to the crimes in lengthy & detailed voluntary statements without even being asked, or is found committing a repeat of the crime in question.)

But Horacio… 🌴☀️😎

Some might call it old-fashioned, but when did Canadians feel safer? Then, or now?
That’s a good question.

Let me piggy back on your question with one of my own, if I may…

Honestly, how safe do the members here feel when they are just out & about on a normal/average day?

If you don’t feel safe while going about your daily business, what is it that makes you feel unsafe?

And do you feel like your particular situation has gotten better, worse, or stayed mostly the same over the last 5 years?

We have a huge country, with members here sprinkled all over it. Curious to hear how members here perceive their day to day safety, in light of some pretty big changes that have happened over the last few years.

Last edited:
That’s a good question.

Let me piggy back on your question with me of my own, if I may…

Honestly, how safe do the members here feel when they are just out & about on a normal/average day?

If you don’t feel safe while going about your daily business, what is it that makes you feel unsafe?

And do you feel like your particular situation has gotten better, worse, or stayed mostly the same over the last 5 years?

We have a huge country, with members here sprinkled all over it. Curious to hear how members here perceive their day to day safety, in light of some pretty big changes that have happened over the last few years.
Perceived safety has dropped, actual safety as proven by crime rate has also dropped.

Back