• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

122nd Overseas Bn

Invicta

Inactive
Reaction score
My Grand Uncle enlisted in the 122nd Bn at Huntsville 1915/16.  His name is Charles Kenneth Alexander PALMER and his attestation document gives the number 763089.  Address at the time was Parry Sound.  Age given is 21 but in fact he was 24.

The document also has written in the top left corner MD I.2. Compassionate gds, b.(hidden by ink blot).on 22/3/19  Can anyone please tell me what that might mean? 

Charles Married Marie Désirée Piret (or Pirez) on 3rd May 1920 about 6 weeks after the embarked at Antwerp for Canada.  Charles age on cert was correct, 29, Maries' was not says 18, actually 19½.

Would it be possible to find if and when Charles served in Belgium?    And can I trace if they had any children in Canada?

I tried the links on another 122nd thread but they didn't work.

Regards, david

Have you ordered his service record from Library and Archives Canada?

The page linking to his Attestation Paper will include a link to instructions to do so.

Thanks

I couldn't get those links to work and I couldn't get the link to the page with his attestation to work this time.

I'll perhaps try again later.

I managed to get the Collections Canada site to work (the links etc are often down) and took a look at your relative's attestation paper.  By all appearances, Mr Palmer was discharged on compassionate grounds 23 Mar 1919 which means he was part of the occupation forces.  The M.D likely refers to a military district command.  I hope that helps.

Regards,

T.

Thanks Michael and others.

I tried to order the military record, but I don't think it went through as I did not get the "Verified By Visa" page and no acknowledgement, however I don't want to order it twice, so I suppose I shall have to wait.

Regards

David

Call their 1-800 number tomorrow, I've always found the LAC staff to be helpful regarding orders for files.

Thanks. I emailed them and they had received it.  I received the records this morning.  He spent 12 months in France and received permission to marry. and was seemingly married with his wife, Mrs Kitty Eileen Palmer living at 8 Lattimer Rd (actually Latimer)  His assigned pay was sent to his mother Elizabeth from May-Dec 1917 and from Dec 1917 to his wife Kitty.  It seems to have reverted to his mother from about mid 1918.  There is a note that A.P is to be suspended till further orders but the date is illegible.  Payments to Elizabeth stopped in April 1919 when Charles was discharged/demobbed. 

Next of kin, 1916 father Ernest,  Next of Kin effective 14 Nov 1917 wife Kitty Eileen, Next of Kin Apr 23rd 1919 mother, Elizabeth. 

In May 1920 Charles married Marie Désirée Piret, or Pirez, in Huntsville, Ont, stating that he was a bachelor.

Would the earlier marriage be a military marriage and would it be recorded as such.  I cannot find it in the UK BMDs

David

Back