• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

100-year-old Canadian veteran skydives for charity

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
After turning 100 years old in December, former paratrooper Ed Marshall decided it was time to take another leap to mark the milestone while raising money for the Hospital for Sick Children.

"I've never had a high float under a parachute, so I'm looking forward to just floating down and enjoying it," Marshall, who was trained during the Second World War, excitedly told CTV News Toronto before skydiving in Cayuga, Ont. on Friday.

Dozens of family members, friends and supporters showed up at the Skydive Ontario facility to watch the centenarian’s first jump in nearly eight decades.

Marshall jumped in tandem with Canadian Armed Forces veteran paratrooper Adam Winnicki. Together, they fell from nearly 11,000 feet, more than double the height Marshall jumped from while training as a member of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion at the end of the Second World War.

When they touched down, supporters erupted in cheers.

After catching their breath, Marshall asked Winnick, "Was I ok?" Winnicki responded, "You were awesome, a real paratrooper," as the two embraced one another.

"Cool, calm and collected. So he was great," Winnicki said. "Two paratroopers in the sky. I'll do anything for another airborne brother." . . .

Back