• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1 beheaded, 3 killed in French church terror attack 29 Oct 2020

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Article Link

1 beheaded, 3 killed in French church terror attack

This‌ ‌is‌ ‌a‌ ‌breaking‌ ‌news‌‌ story.‌ ‌Please‌ ‌check‌ ‌back‌ ‌for‌ ‌updates‌ ‌as‌ ‌more‌ ‌information‌ ‌becomes‌ ‌available.

A knife-wielding attacker beheaded a woman and two more were killed in a knife attack at a Church in Nice, France on Thursday.

CNN reported Nice’s mayor, Christian Estrosi, said the attacker was shot by responding police, but was still alive and was taken into custody. A second woman who was stabbed was reportedly able to leave the scene of the attack but died in a nearby cafe. The third victim, a man, died after being stabbed multiple times.

CNN reported the attack took place at the Notre Dame Basilica in Nice.

According to the BBC, Estrosi claimed the attacker had shouted “Allahu Ackbar” (God is great) and that the attack was being treated as terrorism. BBC reported Estrosi described the incident as “Islamo-fascism.”

In a translated tweet, Estrosi said, “I am on site with the @PoliceNat06 and the @pmdenice who arrested the perpetrator of the attack. I confirm that everything suggests a terrorist attack in the Basilica of Notre-Dame de #Nice06.”

The knife attack comes two weeks after a similar attack in which a French teacher was beheaded in Paris, France. The teacher, Samuel Paty, was attacked after having reportedly shared depictions of the Muslim prophet Muhammad in the class he taught.

CBC Article

3 dead as woman beheaded in France, gunman killed in second incident

Saudi man reported arrested in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after injuring a guard at the French consulate

A knife-wielding attacker shouting "Allahu Akbar" beheaded a woman and killed two other people in what French officials described as a terrorist act at a church in the French city of Nice on Thursday, while a gunman was shot dead by police in a separate incident.

Within hours of the Nice attack, police killed a man who had threatened passersby with a handgun in Montfavet, near the southern French city of Avignon. He was also shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest), according to radio station Europe 1.

In Saudi Arabia on Thursday, state television reported that a Saudi man had been arrested in the city of Jeddah after attacking and injuring a guard at the French consulate.

The French Embassy said the consulate was subject to an "attack by knife which targeted a guard," adding the guard was taken to hospital and his life was not in danger.

Nice's mayor, Christian Estrosi, who described the attack in his city as terrorism, said on Twitter it had happened in or near Notre Dame church and was similar to the beheading of French teacher Samuel Paty in an attack this month in Paris.

Estrosi said the attacker had repeatedly shouted the phrase "Allahu Akbar," even after he had been detained by police.

One of the people killed inside the church was believed to be the church warden, Estrosi said, adding that a woman had tried to escape from inside the church and had fled into a bar opposite the 19th century neo-Gothic building.

"The suspected knife attacker was shot by police while being detained, he is on his way to hospital, he is alive," Estrosi told reporters.

"Enough is enough," Estrosi said. "It's time now for France to exonerate itself from the laws of peace in order to definitively wipe out Islamo-fascism from our territory."

Reuters journalists at the scene said police armed with automatic weapons had put up a security cordon around the church, which is on Nice's Jean Medecin avenue, the city's main shopping thoroughfare. Ambulances and fire service vehicles were also at the scene.

French President Emmanuel Macron is due to visit Nice, Estrosi said.

In Paris, lawmakers in the National Assembly observed a minute's silence in solidarity with the victims. The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, said the people of Nice "can count on the support of the city of Paris and of Parisians."

Police said three people were confirmed to have died in the attack and several were injured. The French anti-terrorist prosecutor's department said it had been asked to investigate.

A police source said a woman was decapitated. French far-right politician Marine Le Pen also spoke of a decapitation having occurred in the attack.

Condemnation

A representative of the French Council for the Muslim Faith strongly condemned the attack. "As a sign of mourning and solidarity with the victims and their loved ones, I call on all Muslims in France to cancel all the celebrations of the holiday of Mawlid."

The holiday is the birthday of the Prophet Mohammad, which is being celebrated Thursday.

Estrosi said the victims had been killed in a "horrible way."

"The methods match, without doubt, those used against the brave teacher in Conflans Sainte Honorine, Samuel Paty," he said, referring to a French teacher beheaded earlier this month in an attack in a suburb of Paris.

The attack comes while France is still reeling from the beheading earlier this month of middle school teacher Paty by a man of Chechen origin.

The attacker had said he wanted to punish Paty for showing pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a civics lesson.

It was not immediately clear if Thursday's attack was connected to the cartoons, which Muslims consider to be blasphemous.

Since Paty's killing, French officials — backed by many ordinary citizens — have re-asserted the right to display the cartoons, and the images have been widely displayed at marches in solidarity with the killed teacher.

That has prompted an outpouring of anger in parts of the Muslim world, with some governments accusing Macron of pursuing an anti-Islam agenda.

In a comment on recent beheadings in France, the Kremlin said on Thursday it was unacceptable to kill people, but also wrong to insult the feelings of religious believers.

Sadder than usual we have to date these :(

We are already seeing a large divide occur between unified (quasi-Christian) Europe and the Islamic Middle East . Macron is making speeches denouncing Islam's influence in France, and Germany (de-facto leader of the EU) is on board with this rhetoric as well.

This is the second beheading in a week and the fact it was at a Catholic cathedral is no coincidence. I believe this will further enflame tensions and push moderate French citizens into extreme camps.

The pushback on Macrons comments from Islamic countries (Turkey, Iran, Pakistan etc.) has been fierce and is only likely to intensify. Erdogan of Turkey went as far as to call Macron, a "crusader."

The way it is unfolding, things could quite likely get medieval.

The attacks in France have already been medieval for quite some time. The Islamists there are going to have to choose which century they want to live in.

Colin P said:
The attacks in France have already been medieval for quite some time. The Islamists there are going to have to choose which century they want to live in.

Some would argue that choice has been made already.

FMoore7 said:
We are already seeing a large divide occur between unified (quasi-Christian) Europe and the Islamic Middle East . Macron is making speeches denouncing Islam's influence in France, and Germany (de-facto leader of the EU) is on board with this rhetoric as well.

This is the second beheading in a week and the fact it was at a Catholic cathedral is no coincidence. I believe this will further enflame tensions and push moderate French citizens into extreme camps.

The pushback on Macrons comments from Islamic countries (Turkey, Iran, Pakistan etc.) has been fierce and is only likely to intensify. Erdogan of Turkey went as far as to call Macron, a "crusader."

The way it is unfolding, things could quite likely get medieval.

Why anyone from a civilized country would care about the opinions of Turkey, Iran, or Pakistan is beyond me...

reveng said:
Why anyone from a civilized country would care about the opinions of Turkey, Iran, or Pakistan is beyond me...

Well when 10% of your population cares very much about the opinions of Turkey, Iran, or Pakistan to the point of being willing to murder your citizens, I would definitely be taking note...

reveng said:

Coincidentally, one of my favourite oxymorons :)

Politicians make statements.  Mandatory public statements after incidents like this.  Those who fall under the umbrella is the label will be offended & fire back -- even moreso when the countries are Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, etc etc.  I'm actually not familiar with the tone of the current leadership of Iran or Pakistan to be honest, but Ergodan can always be relied on to be a twisted prick.

I know I don't have to say this to the members on this forum, but I do find myself reminding the odd person throughout my daily life.  This isn't about Islam.  It's about religious extremism in whatever form it may take, in this case represented by a Muslim man.

In November of 2015, multiple suicide bombers targeted a France-Germany soccer match in France at the Stade de France.  Various media outlets focused on the fact that "the attackers were Muslim, engaged in Jihad, blah blah blah."

What not a single media outlet focused on was that one of the attackers was tackled by a security guard outside one of the entrances, who then yelled at others to run away as he struggled to keep the attacker on the ground.  The attacker detonated his suicide vest, killing the security guard who had effectively gained control and pinned him to the ground.

The security guard was also a recently arrived Muslim immigrant.

Like I said, I know I don't have to say this to anybody here.  Truly. 

I'm still surprised at how many people I come across with somewhat racist views of certain things, I think mostly influenced by the soundbites their hear from the media.  (For example, all terrorists are Muslim, etc)

Sad situation in regards to this particular incident, no doubt.  No matter how religious or extreme someone is, I'll never understand how someone can go decapitate someone at their church and somehow believe it is what God wants  :facepalm:

Back