• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1/35 MEWT Bison

Kokanee

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm working on a MEWT Bison right now for the C&E Museum; only about a 1/4 way done so far but I'll post more pics as I go.

ykjf5.jpg

Looks good, you're making a V3/V4? I only mention it since the V5 upgrade got rid of all our fuel storage on the sides.

PuckChaser said:
Looks good, you're making a V3/V4? I only mention it since the V5 upgrade got rid of all our fuel storage on the sides.

Yep, V4 a la my boat on tour.

Some more progress of late;

qpgcxg.jpg

The air conditioner, generator cage and some EW gear have been added. Working on the AoA for the upper hull next.

Looks great. For added realism you can have the vehicle super heavy on the right rear and lopsided just like the real ones!  >:D

Whoa! That is seriously nice work! Is that the Arms Corps ASLAV-PC you are using as a base kit? Bison conversions are few & far between....this  one is going to be great.

The guys here would like to see that, if you are interested in re-posting it:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/

GINge! said:
Whoa! That is seriously nice work! Is that the Arms Corps ASLAV-PC you are using as a base kit? Bison conversions are few & far between....this  one is going to be great.

The guys here would like to see that, if you are interested in re-posting it:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/

It's actually a combination of a Trumpeter USMC LAV-25 mortar carrier varient (bottom hull) and a small run BISON top hull in resin that I sourced, forget where I shelved this for over a year previously. As well I just received an Italeri USMC LAV-25 C&C variant kit to finish this off. I will definitely check that site out and repost.

Upward and onward with this build;

5uijcm.jpg

Some more AOA has been applied to the upper forward hull, as well some more EW specific antenna mountings have been added. Suspension and wheels all mounted; Italeri wheels and suspension on a Trumpeter lower hull = fun times....

29usn5v.jpg

The AC unit was rebuilt as I fudged the math and it was too large previously, now there is room for all the proper other bits that need to share space on the rear hull.

eughmr.jpg

Picked up two "Canadians in Afghanistan" figures from "Black Dog" (I believe they are a Czech company) as EW operators; the level of detail on these guys is amazing and I'm hoping I can paint them up well enough to do the models justice.

That is called kit bashing... good job. Keep up the good work.

GINge! said:
Coming along great! If I may suggest - you've already put so much into it, that you might want to get the current pattern wheels. I'm not sure if CF Bisons ever used the skinny tires the US used. But if the skinny ones are already firmly mounted, then you may want to just leave it as is. 

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr06607.html

Thanks for the hookup! I was trying to get my hands on the Maple Leaf Models set, but they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. I'll definitely order a set of those, they'll make it that much closer to awesome.

If anyone can offer advice on a good brand/colour of paint to match CARC green it would be appreciated.

Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green is pretty close. I like to tone down the greenieness with some XF-65 Field Grey (which is actually a green colour). They airbrush really well. But regular brush painting....not so much.

I know with touch up paint on the SMP trucks, we used Würth Olive Drab. May be that is some what helpful to you. Not quite sure, but some information is better than none. Keep up the great work.

Thanks GINge! for the tip about the Trumpeter XML's; here they be all mounted;

sv3qfm.jpg

It's been awhile, life catching up and having to order a bunch of parts for this from overseas put a speedbump in my progress. Anyway just based this in Nato Green and applied a first "afghan moon dust" layer.

1qhYI.jpg

Still a LOT of painting to do obviously, more to follow just wanted to give notice I'm still working on this.

Kokanee, that looks friggin' fantastic! I don't know the vehicle well by any means, but the grittiness etc simply looks well on its way to being 'right' to the eye. Well done.

Back