• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

04 June 2014: Shootings in Moncton NB, Three RCMP dead

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The RCMP are warning people in part of Moncton to remain inside their homes because of a shooting in the southeastern New Brunswick city.

A police manhunt is underway after at least two people were shot.

The police are looking for a man armed with guns. RCMP Const. Damien Theriault would not confirm reports that a police officer had been shot.
The RCMP are advising people in the Hildegard Drive and Ryan Road area to stay inside "due to an ongoing shooting in the area."

From: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/manhunt-underway-in-moncton-after-at-least-2-people-shot-1.2665359

More at: http://globalnews.ca/news/1374998/rcmp-officers-shot-in-moncton-reports/

RIP to the fallen speedy recovery to the injured and hopefully a speedy resolution.

My deepest condolences to the families, comrades of the fallen.  A speedy and full recovery of the wounded.  :salute:

It's a bad day when we lose 1 LEO in the line of duty. Losing 3 at the hands of one person is unprecedented. RIP to the fallen. My prayers are with their families, the officers injured, and the NB RCMP. We can only hope that they are able to capture this guy before any other lives are lost.

Holy crap!  Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen ....
:salute:  :salute:  :salute:

The shooter is still at large, but I think because it has made nearly all of the news stations he probably wont be for long.

My Condolences and prayers to all of the family.

MPHopeful13 said:
It's a bad day when we lose 1 LEO in the line of duty. Losing 3 at the hands of one person is unprecedented.

Sadly, it's not unprecedented at all.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy

Sure hope this ends quickly, and as safely as possible.

From the PM:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the death of three RCMP officers, who were killed as a result of injuries sustained yesterday in Moncton, New Brunswick. During the course of this incident, two other RCMP officers also sustained injuries; however both are in stable condition.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of those affected by this tragedy. We also offer our prayers for the speedy recovery of those injured.

“This violent incident is a stark reminder that our men and women in law enforcement put their lives on the line in Canada every day to protect our citizens and communities.

“The sacrifice of these brave officers will be honoured and remembered.

“Our thoughts are with their families and loved ones in their time of need. This is a sad time for the people of Moncton, the people of New Brunswick and for Canada.”

CTV is running a dedicated feed on the Moncton manhunt:  http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/moncton-manhunt-stay-home-stay-safe-1.1854053

The right wing loony bin strikes again. I checked out his Facebook profile (posted above). This guy is a stereotype. Hates the government, hates gun control etc etc. One of posts openly calls for shooting people who "try and take your guns."  For all the talk about the radical left, it's clear to me that the real danger is being shot by people just a shade further right than elements of the Wildrose Party in Alberta. We need to wake up.

Now may not be the time but, seeing all the pictures and videos of police officers sheltering behind their vehicles with only their sidearms and the odd shotgun here and there, I can't help but think that something is wrong with that picture... both from an officer safety as well as a public safety perspective. #outgunned

Transporter said:
Now may not be the time but, seeing all the pictures and videos of police officers sheltering behind their vehicles with only their sidearms and the odd shotgun here and there, I can't help but think that something is wrong with that picture... both from an officer safety as well as a public safety perspective. #outgunned

Small segway, but I thought that RCMP had access to a version of the C8 AR and remmington rifles...?

NSDreamer said:
Small segway, but I thought that RCMP had access to a version of the C8 AR and remmington rifles...?

Not sure, but "having access to" is inadequate if you don't "have it" when you need it. And since you're never sure when you'll need it, you'd best have it with you instead of having to go get it.

Transporter said:
Not sure, but "having access to" is inadequate if you don't "have it" when you need it. And since you're never sure when you'll need it, you'd best have it with you instead of having to go get it.

Agreed.

Condolences to the families of the fallen and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured.  :cdn:

Here's CBC's live feed, as well:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-shooting-suspect-spotted-3-times-as-manhunt-continues-1.2665707

Meanwhile, I can't help but wonder what good is served by all the focus on the shooter, his name, what he was wearing, the public examining every word on his his Facebook profile, etc....  aside from whatever's necessary for public safety and to actually catch him, it seems like this coverage is also effectively guaranteeing fame (or infamy) to anyone else waiting in the wings to "go out with a bang", as it were.  :( 

I wonder if, in the case of any future public shootings, the media were to have an embargo on the shooters' names and images and social media profiles, & leave that info to the investigators alone - would that dry up the source of attention that some of these people seem to crave?  And maybe prevent some of the carnage in the future? 

A lot of suppositions and I have no expertise on any of this, just a feeling of general unease with the focus on the shooter's identity and past.  I don't think the media are in any way responsible for any shooter's actions, but I'm wondering if this is something they can do to help in the future.

Hoping for a swift closure... my thoughts and prayers are with the families of the fallen. 

Back