• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘White nationalism’ a threat the Canadian Armed Forces aren’t equipped for: watchdog

Closer to home

Halifax Riots - sailors and slackers on VE Day
I had always thought that the Halifax Riots had more to do with some genius cutting off access to liquor just as a large group of drinking soldiers was poised to celebrate the end of the war...

That didn't always work:

Guess some didn't read the brochure.

They were better paid and had access to more exotic consumer items in their military PXs (tax free stores) and many Australian women saw the well-paid Americans as desirable and romantic. More than 12,000 Australian women became American war brides, most of whom returned to the US with their new husbands at the end of the war.

The film "Yanks" is about the US Army build-up in Britain during the war. They made quite an impression on the local women, and many married American servicemen and moved to the States. The film also shows the racial tension of the era.

Likewise during the occupation of Japan. I found this official US Army training film rather touching. It's a true story ( with the real people, not actors ) , their marriage lasted their lifetimes together, and both of their daughters became well known when they became adults.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that was racially motivated was it ?

Not racially motivated but definitely motivated by "the other". Us and them. The locals and the come from aways.

A clash of cultures.

Kind of like the Canadians in Britain.

Epsom 1919
Kinmel Park 1919
Alderson 1945

"Over paid, over sexed and over here!" was the British rallying cry. Applied to Canadians before it was applied to the Yanks.

"Over paid, over sexed and over here!" was the British rallying cry. Applied to Canadians before it was applied to the Yanks.

"Under paid. Under sexed. Under Eisenhower."

I had always thought that the Halifax Riots had more to do with some genius cutting off access to liquor just as a large group of drinking soldiers was poised to celebrate the end of the war...
That genius’s offspring must work for Air Canada: “We’re not happy until you’re not happy.”

The clip kinda glosses over the fact that the US military was still segregated at the time.

Until 1948.

I think the training film was more about how to behave when off base, in a different country with different customs. I doubt the army could enforce segregation in an English town.

I wonder how common it would have been for a white and black US service member to share a railway compartment.

Must have been interesting in the British dance halls with so many G.I.'s ( and Canadians ). Especially with so many English men already shipped out of the country.

Ain't no use in going back

Jody's got your Cadillac

Ain't no use in going home

Jody's got your girl and gone

Ain't no use in feeling blue

Jody's got your sister too!

Until 1948.

I think the training film was more about how to behave when off base, in a different country with different customs. I doubt the army could enforce segregation in an English town.

Must have been interesting in the British dance halls with so many G.I.'s ( and Canadians ). Especially with so many English men already shipped out of the country.

Ain't no use in going back

Jody's got your Cadillac

Ain't no use in going home

Jody's got your girl and gone

Ain't no use in feeling blue

Jody's got your sister too!

Brits were being shipped off to North Africa and Burma. Leaving their women to the well paid Americans and Canadians with their "ranches".

Brits were being shipped off to North Africa and Burma. Leaving their women to the well paid Americans and Canadians with their "ranches".

Bloody Yanks.
Bloody Yanks coming over here.
Why don't you bugger off home,
back where you bloody belong?

Sir, I didn't ask to come to this country.
I was drafted.
If you've got any kind of influence,
I'd be grateful to get back where I belong.
The sooner the better.

When they send the last Yank home,
All they'll have is some clothes, and a kid that talks through its nose.

Yep. The Special Relationship was indeed Speshul.

The French were at least as grateful to the Brits as the Brits were to the Yanks. And shall we leave the rest of Europe aside for the time being? :)

Yes. It's not as if no Chinese or Japanese person, for example, ever felt his people were better than Europeans.

Properly understood, liberal values are about maximizing the freedom of a person to live the life he chooses. No other doctrine I know of can do that. Multiculturalism by definition has to tolerate illiberal practices.
I just meant looking out for your own.

Liberalism is a funny rabbit hole - if you read Mill & Bentham, JS Mill, Rosseau, Wollstonecraft etc
You get the following summary:

1. Liberal values/ideas are about internalizing or acting in line with mass public opinion (J.S. Mill/Rosseau)
2. The Government can/should act to prevent (collective) harm, but this is left undefined (Bentham & Mill, J.S Mill)
3. While the people should elect government - it should be professional/separate & not interfered with day-day (JS Mill)
4. Bonus - Government should encourage/increase factionalism - woke idpol? (John Madison, JS Mill maybe?)

The blue-haired trigglypuff advocating masking & gun control is a true liberal, not the classic conservative.
Looking at the literature at least.

The "liber" in "liberalism" is all about individual liberty to a self-described classical liberal/libertarian. (None of the broad political descriptors is particularly useful without clarification.) Anyone advocating masking and gun control is acting opposite to individual liberty. Certainly there are others who choose "liberalism" to mean collective liberty and then set about defining what it means (mostly, imposing obligations on some to provide benefits for others).

Most understandings of "liberal" will come down to individual liberty. Attempts to hijack the word for collective doctrines exist because the word has favourable associations. It is a rough opposite of the misuse of "fascism" or "authoritarianism" (because the words have unfavourable associations).

The "liber" in "liberalism" is all about individual liberty to a self-described classical liberal/libertarian. (None of the broad political descriptors is particularly useful without clarification.) Anyone advocating masking and gun control is acting opposite to individual liberty. Certainly there are others who choose "liberalism" to mean collective liberty and then set about defining what it means (mostly, imposing obligations on some to provide benefits for others).

No she isn't .
Socio-Liberalsim v. Classic Liberalism
Classic Liberalism allows rights to be proscribed to prevent harm.
At that point it's a debate about tactics - both agree on the above strategy.
The Individual is a creation of the Western European Church & State.
You create the individual by mixing the clans & removing their coercive authority.
Liberalism is just not my ethnic tradition, I have a clan/tribe/Panth.
--

unknown.png

Singh 1947,

Tell me your analysis of Jagmeet Singh and his penchant for demonizing white anglos.

Back