• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

Why a Northern/Arctic focus should be a Canadian priority.

The second half of this interview discusses Chinese interference (Popular Front) with Canadian First Nations in efforts to secure resources.

Basic aphorisms -

Possession is 9/10 ths of the law.
You have what you hold.

Whitehorse would be a much closer airport to operate from, would need the infrastructure to do so though. Actually a very nice little city to be in. Would save 1300 km transit both ways.

Can't speak for Inuvik, but Whitehorse is a nice place, with a good scene going, close to the ocean and international flights to Germany in the Summer.

Canada to acquire MQ-9B SkyGuardian Drones to monitor Arctic Ocean​

View attachment 87727

Uh, that site is a bit late with the “breaking” news. It was announced in Dec last year. And yes, the Arctic is one of the mission areas it would be operating in - but won’t be based there full time.

Also, the MQ-9B isn’t the Reaper (that’s the MQ-9A) but that’s just my pedantry speaking.

There are lots of people who love city living, and aren't willing to living somewhere else.
Whitehorse is the Capital and has a lot of sport and culture activities ongoing throughout the year. One difference is that many of the businesses take a siesta in the early afternoon to allow workers to get sunlight in the winter.

Whitehorse is the Capital and has a lot of sport and culture activities ongoing throughout the year. One difference is that many of the businesses take a siesta in the early afternoon to allow workers to get sunlight in the winter.

If I was young and starting out, my immediate concern for "activities" would likely be much the same as it was more than fifty years ago. I did a quick google and on one site there were a number of comments about that important activity - dating.

“Get comfortable with being single while living in the Yukon. That, or lower your standards.”
“alcoholic, hairy and weird.”
“incestuous, tiresome, sometimes surprising;”
“lacking, sparse, confusing.”
“Dating is not easy anywhere. I think it’s easier for men in Whitehorse. I find there are a lot of desperate women here that will settle for anything.”

Charlottetown is also a city, but people from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc., don't see it that way.

I'm not saying Whitehorse isn't a nice place, I'm simply pointing out that most young people want to live in big cities. Regardless of how nice Whitehorse is, it's not a big city.

Last edited:
If I was young and starting out, my immediate concern for "activities" would likely be much the same as it was more than fifty years ago. I did a quick google and on one site there were a number of comments about that important activity - dating.

“Get comfortable with being single while living in the Yukon. That, or lower your standards.”
“alcoholic, hairy and weird.”
“incestuous, tiresome, sometimes surprising;”
“lacking, sparse, confusing.”
“Dating is not easy anywhere. I think it’s easier for men in Whitehorse. I find there are a lot of desperate women here that will settle for anything.”
Sounds a lot like Cold Lake when I was there as a Pte... Likely still the experience for young people posted there.

In the words of the ancient army:

If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.

Another reason for short term engagements. 1 year in camp. 2 years in the boonies. 5 years in the reserves.

The careerists can work their remote jobs in the cities.

In the words of the ancient army:

If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.

Another reason for short term engagements. 1 year in camp. 2 years in the boonies. 5 years in the reserves.

The careerists can work their remote jobs in the cities.
Do you think there might be a reason most militaries have moved away from that model?

Works when there are foreign adventures to be had, and you need to churn out a lot of young men to die in a border skirmish in Asia or Africa. Doesn't work so well in peacetime, particularly when the skill needed to maintain and operate the equipment can't be effectively learned in a year.

Back