• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Wildfire Season

Sioux Lookout.

On a second reading, I find the MNR's public description for its Twin Otter rather curious.

"The DHC-6 Twin Otter is equipped with tundra tires so it can land and take off from anywhere, making it useful for services where airports are not available"

I can't say I've ever seen a MNR aircraft equipped with what I would call "tundra tires". Besides, since most of northern Ontario is either forest, boreal or water, I'm not sure where they would intend to land that isn't at least a gravel runway.

"Each of our six aircraft can also be outfitted with water tanks to assist in wildland fire suppression"

I think every one I've seen has had amphibious floats, and I don't know if amphibious+water tank floats is a thing. Since moving their main maintenance centre from the river-based location to SSM airport, I imagine most if not all of their fixed wing fleet is amphibious.
The whole fleet must be getting well up there in hours yet I haven't seen a proposal to replace or re-enforce. When the fires start I guess they will simply blame climate change for being unprepared.

Interesting clip from BCWS regarding how many of X are deployed to fight fires.
While there isn’t a breakdown between rotary and fixed wing aircraft, there are about 196 aircraft of all types being used in the province. I would imagine Alberta is close to that number. The cost of flying nearly 200 aircraft nearly all day for weeks/months on end has to be huge. I wonder what the daily “sortie” rate is.

Also, surprisingly low # of heavy equipment which suggest not a lot of accessible terrain for building firebreaks.

As I wrote in a much earlier post, the wildfire near our farm was first contained using a jet aircraft painting red retardant around the fire, hammered by choppers dropping buckets of water on targets, and then extinguished under the tracks of dozers and later soaked by water trucks. That’s apparently text book and very rarely possible in BC.
For example the fire in Mara lake (Shuswap) currently out of control for weeks, it was only yesterday that ground crews could get at it because of the steepness of the terrain, lack of an accessible road, and hot weather pretty much scorching anyone on the ground nearby. (Almost 50C).
A lot of forestry roads are being deactivated, making for even less access than before.

The whole fleet must be getting well up there in hours yet I haven't seen a proposal to replace or re-enforce. When the fires start I guess they will simply blame climate change for being unprepared.
Without researching, simply in terms of years, I'll bet the Twin Otters are 50 years-ish old and the 415s are probably 25-30. Their rotary fleet is comparatively newer since they didn't get into owning rotary until - I think - the early 80s.

I haven't heard anything about replacements (although why would I?). The Ontario government will likely continue its pattern of gutting the soul out of the MNR, at least until the are embarrassed by an accident or something.

Without researching, simply in terms of years, I'll bet the Twin Otters are 50 years-ish old and the 415s are probably 25-30. Their rotary fleet is comparatively newer since they didn't get into owning rotary until - I think - the early 80s.

I haven't heard anything about replacements (although why would I?). The Ontario government will likely continue its pattern of gutting the soul out of the MNR, at least until the are embarrassed by an accident or something.
CNE airshow in 1986 I think or thereabouts had the MNR with a helicopter doing spotting while a 415 and a DHC6 amphib. did pickups and drops. The same idents are still in the lineup so yes the fleet must be at least 30 if not closer to 40

One thing Viking Air and now DeHavilland has done and continue to do is overhaul of the airframes. They take a beaten up old Beaver with holes in it and overhaul them to better then new. They do the same for the Otters. I would not hesitate to fly in any of those aircraft.

One thing Viking Air and now DeHavilland has done and continue to do is overhaul of the airframes. They take a beaten up old Beaver with holes in it and overhaul them to better then new. They do the same for the Otters. I would not hesitate to fly in any of those aircraft.
Them and private shops. There are all sorts of 'piston' Beavers and Otters (last made in 1967) flying around in private hands. Heck, there are apparently still 10 Norseman operating in Ontario (last made in 1959). Actually, I'm kinda surprised the CAF doesn't still use them; their vintage seems fitting.

Was a really bad weekend. Name not released but pretty sure I've worked with the individual involved.

Unfortunately dropping trees is dangerous at the best to times....throw root burn, fatigue, smoke, and pressure to clear the line for your crew and unfortunately this is not the first such case of a bad injury. For reference NWT and BC both lost crew members last year and there were multiple close calls in Alberta.

Was really hoping this site would not be expanded this year. https://gfmc.online/media/2008/09-2008/news_20080922_ca.html

Ahem, you mean Wildland ARSON season 2024? Ok, lightning will cause some.

Speaking of arsonists... well, it doesn't identify her specifically as an arsonist but...

RCMP have arrested a woman for allegedly causing a fire near the Stirling Arm Forest Service Road and the Canal Main in Port Alberni.

An off-duty officer from the Port Alberni RCMP reported the fire in the forested area on Tuesday just after 6 p.m.

Police responded and arrested a 27-year-old woman. She is being held in custody as RCMP forward a report to the Crown for consideration of charges.

Speaking of arsonists... well, it doesn't identify her specifically as an arsonist but...

RCMP have arrested a woman for allegedly causing a fire near the Stirling Arm Forest Service Road and the Canal Main in Port Alberni.

An off-duty officer from the Port Alberni RCMP reported the fire in the forested area on Tuesday just after 6 p.m.

Police responded and arrested a 27-year-old woman. She is being held in custody as RCMP forward a report to the Crown for consideration of charges.

Very curious as to what events would lead to an immediate arrest...can think of a few situations though where this would be ideal especially if RCMP happened to be the first on scene. Usually it's a case of a fire being discovered, investigated, suspect identified and then, depending on the province, an arrest made. The process on who is involved in the laying of charges, and what offenses a charge will be laid under, varies by province so I'm not really sure what the BC process is.

Happy to see the arrest (assuming this is a valid crime) and will be interesting to hear what the final outcome is.

Very curious as to what events would lead to an immediate arrest...can think of a few situations though where this would be ideal especially if RCMP happened to be the first on scene. Usually it's a case of a fire being discovered, investigated, suspect identified and then, depending on the province, an arrest made. The process on who is involved in the laying of charges, and what offenses a charge will be laid under, varies by province so I'm not really sure what the BC process is.

Happy to see the arrest (assuming this is a valid crime) and will be interesting to hear what the final outcome is.

It mentions that an off duty RCMP Officer spotted the fire first, so good on them!

It mentions that an off duty RCMP Officer spotted the fire first, so good on them!
Sorry my lack of clarity. What I am unsure about is if the individual would be charged with a federal level offense - Arson being one option - or under BC Provincial laws - for example starting a fire during a fire ban.

Looks like it's the BC Wildfire Act for the legislation but I haven't worked there for years and not sure if there are other legislation pieces that apply:
1723067348185.png

but depending on the evidence - if Arson - the the Canadian Criminal Code has a few definitions and charges. This is the part where I'm handing the file over to the RCMP and they will determine which offense best matches the evidence.

Definitely a switched on RCMP officer to be on the ball like that as that's not legislation they deal with often.

My WAG is probably provincial legislation prohibiting fires, and an off-duty member ‘found committing’. Arrest in order to ascertain ID and secure evidence. I know BC has crown charge approval for criminal, I don’t know if that would be the case under applicable provincial law.

Odds of it being a criminal arson arrest would probably be slim, but I’m speculating.

Was a really bad weekend. Name not released but pretty sure I've worked with the individual involved.

Unfortunately dropping trees is dangerous at the best to times....throw root burn, fatigue, smoke, and pressure to clear the line for your crew and unfortunately this is not the first such case of a bad injury. For reference NWT and BC both lost crew members last year and there were multiple close calls in Alberta.

Was really hoping this site would not be expanded this year. New memorial in Alberta pays tribute to those who died fighting forest fires – GFMC
Sorry about your loss. I know it shook the wildland folks up.

Last edited:
Some great pictures of the skimmers yesterday. They are taking up water from Swan Lake if you are familiar with hiway 97 by Vernon. At times there were up to 10 of them on the Hullcar fire.

Today there is are a couple of CL 415. A Dash fire painter and lots of big choppers and the odd flight of skimmers.
Fire is growing as it is in partial grazing lands now. Rank 3 at times.

This shot below taken buy the photographer Erin Cassels of a trio of aircraft coming out of the lake reeds is amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 10
Some great pictures of the skimmers yesterday. They are taking up water from Swan Lake if you are familiar with hiway 97 by Vernon. At times there were up to 10 of them on the Hullcar fire.

Today there is are a couple of CL 415. A Dash fire painter and lots of big choppers and the odd flight of skimmers.

This shot below taken buy the photographer Erin Cassels of a trio of aircraft coming out of the lake reeds is amazing!
Edit there are actually 4 aircraft!

Looks like the Quebec CL-415's are in BC....had to check the CIFFC report to see who was where and I knew BC didn't have any CL-415's making the job easier.

If it's only occasionally HFI 3 behavior, and mostly grass, those tanker ops will be quite productive. Just hope there's enough crews to back the air show up but crews are in short supply anywhere in North America right now.

My WAG is probably provincial legislation prohibiting fires, and an off-duty member ‘found committing’. Arrest in order to ascertain ID and secure evidence. I know BC has crown charge approval for criminal, I don’t know if that would be the case under applicable provincial law.

Odds of it being a criminal arson arrest would probably be slim, but I’m speculating.
Unless they can prove arson, she will probably be charged under the provincial Wildfire Act. I’d be shocked if there was any jail time. Most likely she’ll have to pay a whopper fine if found guilty.

Back