• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How long will it take to get to bmq

Oscarp1234

Reaction score
I am currently 16 and just finished grade 11 but I want to join the CAF after my grade 12 year and apply when I am 17, what time of the year should I go about applying next year to be able to be at bmq in the summer or sometime close to after I graduate grade 12. How long do you think it would take from applying to being at bmq.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this.

Reg force infanteer, eh? I would normally push the Naval Experience Program, but I can respect someone who wants to join the infantry.

Realistically speaking, there is no "set" amount of time to wait for a BMQ course. My suggestion would be to reach out to a CFRC (Recruiting Centre) on an information-gathering session, and let them know your intentions. With the current back log of applications, you may very well find yourself applying before completing high school, and leaving for BMQ after you graduate.

That said, a winter BMQ doesn't completely suck either. At least there'd be no ticks in the field 😉.

Hope it all works out for you!

Reg force infanteer, eh? I would normally push the Naval Experience Program, but I can respect someone who wants to join the infantry.

Realistically speaking, there is no "set" amount of time to wait for a BMQ course. My suggestion would be to reach out to a CFRC (Recruiting Centre) on an information-gathering session, and let them know your intentions. With the current back log of applications, you may very well find yourself applying before completing high school, and leaving for BMQ after you graduate.

That said, a winter BMQ doesn't completely suck either. At least there'd be no ticks in the field 😉.

Hope it all works out for you!
Okay thanks for your advice I’ll email a recruiter today and then go to an office once I’m done exams at school this week, I think I’ll end up applying in September since I can complete all the credits and courses I need in my first semester of grade 12 to graduate

I am currently 16 and just finished grade 11 but I want to join the CAF after my grade 12 year and apply when I am 17, what time of the year should I go about applying next year to be able to be at bmq in the summer or sometime close to after I graduate grade 12. How long do you think it would take from applying to being at bmq.

Thanks to anyone who responds to this.
keep in mind at 16 you also need your parents to sign off on your application. You are never guaranteed a job just for applying so depending on how long it takes you to get through all the steps, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years from the time of applying to get to BMQ.

keep in mind at 16 you also need your parents to sign off on your application. You are never guaranteed a job just for applying so depending on how long it takes you to get through all the steps, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years from the time of applying to get to BMQ.
Yes I am aware I can’t join the regular forces until I am 17 and need my parents to sign on it, hopefully the recruiting process won’t be to long though

I recently applied in October 2023 and have been accepted and start basic training August 2024. Just for information I applied regular forces (Signal Operator) am a Canadian citizen. It is a long process compared to private sector jobs.

Back