• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

A little tourism here, some foreign investment in manufacturing there, a little greenhouse agriculture here, a little economic migration to neighbouring countries there....
For Christ's sake... We've been over this.

Canada was shit, and our ancestors did it.

Israel was shit and they did it.

Where there's a will there's a way. There's no magic dirt that makes Palestine poor and Israel rich.

Academics, former diplomats & a couple of ex-politicos (Lloyd Axworthy & Allan Rock) call for Canada to back ICC & Co.
Here's the open letter in question ...
... also archived here.

Meanwhile, here's what another former Canadian justice minister has to say ....
"Irwin Cotler: ICC prosecutor weaponized international law in ‘incomprehensible’ way"
From the article, highlighting something @brihard mentioned upthread ....
Screenshot 2024-05-29 214346.jpg

And historically, isn't Iran Persian and not Arabic? They hate each other, at least historically,
I believe you’re correct. Iran really complained how Xerxes was portrayed in 300.
A former coworker was from Iran but identified as Persian

And historically, isn't Iran Persian and not Arabic? They hate each other, at least historically,

Historically, none of the countries in the ME look the way the lines are drawn now - largely arbitrarily to suit the needs of colonial powers that needed to sort things out quickly, and divide the spoils, following WW1 and the collapse of the 'Sick Man of Europe': the Ottoman Empire.

How the Curse of Sykes-Picot Still Haunts the Middle East​

“Hundreds of thousands have been killed because of Sykes-Picot and all the problems it created,” Nawzad Hadi Mawlood, the governor of Iraq’s Erbil Province, told me when I saw him this spring. “It changed the course of history—and nature.”

May 16th will mark the agreement’s hundredth anniversary, amid questions over whether its borders can survive the region’s current furies. “The system in place for the past one hundred years has collapsed,” Barham Salih, a former deputy prime minister of Iraq, declared at the Sulaimani Forum, in Iraqi Kurdistan, in March. “It’s not clear what new system will take its place.”

Academics, former diplomats & a couple of ex-politicos (Lloyd Axworthy & Allan Rock) call for Canada to back ICC & Co.
Here's the open letter in question ...
... also archived here.

Meanwhile, here's what another former Canadian justice minister has to say ....
"Irwin Cotler: ICC prosecutor weaponized international law in ‘incomprehensible’ way"
From the article, highlighting something @brihard mentioned upthread ....
View attachment 85603
ICC has put politics over principles, which means the principles aren't worth much, and there's no point supporting an international court that isn't entirely principles-driven. They could and should have had arrest warrants for Hamas out within weeks of the start of the conflict instead of waiting until they could hang a rap on both sides. International organizations have got to stop moving at two speeds - one for Israel, and one for everyone else - if they're going to have any credibility.

Depends on what's in the water and what else there is to do. People can only do so much sitting on the sand before they want to swim, snorkel, scuba, surf, go to night clubs, etc. If the sea bottom is shallow and sterile it's not very interesting for some of those. If the local religious authorities frown on revelry, more options are closed off.
Visited Gaza Beach Club (UN operated) in early 80's. Poor accn, no night life and beach sucked, not sure if tourist potential has increased.

Historically, none of the countries in the ME look the way the lines are drawn now - largely arbitrarily to suit the needs of colonial powers that needed to sort things out quickly, and divide the spoils, following WW1 and the collapse of the 'Sick Man of Europe': the Ottoman Empire.

How the Curse of Sykes-Picot Still Haunts the Middle East​

“Hundreds of thousands have been killed because of Sykes-Picot and all the problems it created,” Nawzad Hadi Mawlood, the governor of Iraq’s Erbil Province, told me when I saw him this spring. “It changed the course of history—and nature.”

May 16th will mark the agreement’s hundredth anniversary, amid questions over whether its borders can survive the region’s current furies. “The system in place for the past one hundred years has collapsed,” Barham Salih, a former deputy prime minister of Iraq, declared at the Sulaimani Forum, in Iraqi Kurdistan, in March. “It’s not clear what new system will take its place.”

Or, put another way ....
445175013_10211968862254095_8287502730908141858_n.jpg

Actually the current border of Iraq/Iran for the most parts dates back to the 1639 (Treaty of Zuhab) of which the King of England had a hand in negotiating between the Ottomans and the Persians.

Blaming the Brits for everything is a national pastime in many countries, it is the ultimate "Get out of Jail card" for most of the Nationalists in the old Empire. If you eff up, just blame the Brits for it.

... Blaming the Brits for everything is a national pastime in many countries, it is the ultimate "Get out of Jail card" for most of the Nationalists in the old Empire. If you eff up, just blame the Brits for it.
Or the French, or the Belgians ....

Actually the current border of Iraq/Iran for the most parts dates back to the 1639 (Treaty of Zuhab) of which the King of England had a hand in negotiating between the Ottomans and the Persians.

Blaming the Brits for everything is a national pastime in many countries, it is the ultimate "Get out of Jail card" for most of the Nationalists in the old Empire. If you eff up, just blame the Brits for it.
Yeah...imagine people of different ethnic groups living together peacefully. Unfortunately the damned Brits and French drew lines on the map that forced them to slaughter each other against their will!

I mean, I can think of one famous-dead-Brit line on a map that was pretty significant for a bunch of us here.

Back