• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Most days I'm so close to the coal face that I'm only missing the hammer a chisel. My experience is that average folks don't care about this stuff. They care about putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads. The current government has lost sight of this.
You’re in luck. There are similar observable trends for food and housing insecurity.

Statcan said:
According to data from the Canadian Income Survey, the proportion of families who were food insecure in the 12 months preceding the survey increased from 16% in 2021 to 18% in 2022. Among those at highest risk of food insecurity were single mothers, Indigenous families, and Black families.

Statcan said:
In 2021, one in five households reported experiencing economic hardship in the past 12 months, with nearly two-thirds of those identifying COVID-19 as the cause. More renter households (17.1%) identified COVID-19 as the reason for economic hardship than homeowners (11.0%). Households led by a Black person were among those most affected, with 40.0% reporting economic hardship and three-quarters of those attributing it to COVID-19. From the Labour Force Survey, the unemployment rate from July 2020 to June 2021 among Black people aged 15 to 69 averaged 12.9%, higher than among the rest of the population not designated as racialized (7.9%).

All that to say that just shooing away the relevance of DEI is very easy for a lot of us here. We generally don’t encounter these problems nearly as much. When you’re right at the coal face you can get a lot of anecdotal accounts from a couple people to your left and a couple people to the right. You may have to pull back a bit and get a broader view to get more of a sense of who might be running into obstacles that others are not. Studying and trying to understand and rectify this doesn’t preclude other sound government policy too; it’s not an either/or.

New numbers from Nanos. Interesting. I’ll be curious what the aggregate shows this weekend.

New numbers from Nanos. Interesting. I’ll be curious what the aggregate shows this weekend.
Even Canadians that don't follow the politics of the land are going to notice gas prices seem mighty high all of a sudden...

Their utility bills will be a lot more. Filling up the car will be a lot more. And groceries are about to skyrocket also.

I don't give it long before people see yet another dramatic rise in an already unsustainably high cost of living & say to themselves..."Can I even afford to vote Liberal?"

Even Canadians that don't follow the politics of the land are going to notice gas prices seem mighty high all of a sudden...
Seemingly quiet in AB when the provincial govt also added fuel tax on Apr 1st…

^^
I see nothing on the CBC Alberta website. Full on blockades or just vehicles on the side of the road waving flags?

All that to say that just shooing away the relevance of DEI is very easy for a lot of us here. We generally don’t encounter these problems nearly as much. When you’re right at the coal face you can get a lot of anecdotal accounts from a couple people to your left and a couple people to the right. You may have to pull back a bit and get a broader view to get more of a sense of who might be running into obstacles that others are not. Studying and trying to understand and rectify this doesn’t preclude other sound government policy too; it’s not an either/or.
DEI has very little to do with it. All of the statistics quoted can be attributed just as easily to family stability instead. Families with two parents are more likely to own a house, have greater family income. They are also more likely to either be second/third generation Canadian or immigrants from eastern Asian countries with either significant family backing or post-secondary education. Migrants from Central America or the Caribbean tend to have less education, single parent, rental. The fact that they are of African descent is a function of their country of origin and not a racist thing. Likewise the argument can be made that our indigenous population suffer from past history more than DEI. Instead of DEI our dollar would provide better returns if we focused on re-building the family and making it important

Seemingly quiet in AB when the provincial govt also added fuel tax on Apr 1st…
I was going to say...you should see the sheer number of protests out this way! Downtown Edmonton, west of Edmonton, just west of Calgary, Crowsnest Pass - and those are just the ones that have a media mention!

Besides, the province has suspended its tax at the pump for quite some time now to try & keep the prices as low as possible. The feds? Not so much...

DEI has very little to do with it. All of the statistics quoted can be attributed just as easily to family stability instead. Families with two parents are more likely to own a house, have greater family income. They are also more likely to either be second/third generation Canadian or immigrants from eastern Asian countries with either significant family backing or post-secondary education. Migrants from Central America or the Caribbean tend to have less education, single parent, rental. The fact that they are of African descent is a function of their country of origin and not a racist thing. Likewise the argument can be made that our indigenous population suffer from past history more than DEI. Instead of DEI our dollar would provide better returns if we focused on re-building the family and making it important
What is your notion of what ‘DEI’, broadly, is? Because I’m not confident, from what I’m reading, that you have more than a very narrow sense of what that term means, and that you’re only looking at it in a few very specific contexts.

Part of the cost of living, for many people, is the cost of borrowing. I don't recall whether at this instant Canadians are "the most in debt they've ever been", but along with renters and people having to renew mortgages, there is a large tranche of people with outstanding credit card balances, auto financing, lines of credit, etc. As long as the federal government persists in overspending, it contributes to keeping interest rates higher than they likely otherwise would be. The next election ought to be a pocketbook election, and if it happens that only a minority is oppressed by fiscal conditions and a majority supports progressive ideology irrespective of cost, the former will continue to be f*cked and will probably not be happy about it.

A quick check of Canada 338 shows the Nanos poll is a bit of an outlier. Other polls have the grits still trending downwards. The gains for the libs are within margin of error and the poll was taken prior to the 23% tax hike.

But they are just polls. Accurate to demographic and questions asked.

What is your notion of what ‘DEI’, broadly, is? Because I’m not confident, from what I’m reading, that you have more than a very narrow sense of what that term means, and that you’re only looking at it in a few very specific contexts.
simply put it is initiatives intended to eliminate inequities against people groups that could be considered marginalized and I have no objection at all to its intent. The entire programme though has been hijacked and now enforces an attitude of entitlement for the most vocal and organized groups, actively promotes a you are white and European therefore you are guilty approach in looking for solutions and ends up creating greater animosity then before when it is done. It may have started off as a good concept but its current iteration is the opposite of equality, justice, and inclusion. It isn't as much what it means therefore but what it has become

Part of the cost of living, for many people, is the cost of borrowing. I don't recall whether at this instant Canadians are "the most in debt they've ever been", but along with renters and people having to renew mortgages, there is a large tranche of people with outstanding credit card balances, auto financing, lines of credit, etc. As long as the federal government persists in overspending, it contributes to keeping interest rates higher than they likely otherwise would be. The next election ought to be a pocketbook election, and if it happens that only a minority is oppressed by fiscal conditions and a majority supports progressive ideology irrespective of cost, the former will continue to be f*cked and will probably not be happy about it.
This is something that Muslim borrowers need not worry about. They have their own banking system and are forbidden by religion from charging, or paying, interest (riba). The bank buys the asset you want, then sells it to you at a higher price. Either full out or on installment. This allows them to buy anything from a single bungalow to large swaths of real estate like Ft Mac.

This is the best link I could find for people to get a grasp of the workings of Muslim finance.

A quick check of Canada 338 shows the Nanos poll is a bit of an outlier. Other polls have the grits still trending downwards. The gains for the libs are within margin of error and the poll was taken prior to the 23% tax hike.

But they are just polls. Accurate to demographic and questions asked.
That poll won’t be reflected until Sundays poll of polls.

I wouldn’t be surprised. It was only a matter of time that soft Dippers went scrambling back to the Liberals. Nothing scares them more than a Tory majority government. Whether this is the start of a trend or an outlier will become known in time.

I wouldn’t be surprised. It was only a matter of time that soft Dippers went scrambling back to the Liberals. Nothing scares them more than a Tory majority government. Whether this is the start of a trend or an outlier will become known in time.
We are still over a year from the next scheduled election. Polls are about as reliable as Taro card readings and weather reports.

Back