• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

The Canadian Army is something around 44000, with 20000 reservists. How you eliminate 20000 full time positions from that and keep three Bdes would be an interesting numbers game.
I don’t think he’s talking just about the Army.

I’d love to know where you think we have 20,000 surplus bodies. The Navy and Air Force can barely function at present manning, and the Army has maybe 15000 in the Field Force.
See below

I suspect he’s wiling to cut across the board to make a leaner and meaner force.

Maybe the Army could get by with 1 CMBG, 1 CLBG, and 1 CSSB? As well as parsing the other services as well.
Bingo @KevinB

I would do a wholesale amalgamation of Formations, HQs, Fleets, Wings across the board.

I would make equipment divestments. I would close bases and I would ruthlessly cut various headquarters in Ottawa and elsewhere.

The Navy would immediately lose 3 Halifax Class Frigates, 6 Kingston Class Patrol Vessels to cannibalization with parts, $$$, and personnel reallocated to the current fleet to keep it running until procurement catches up.

All Victoria Class Submarines would be centralized on one coast. Multiple HQs would be closed and personnel reallocated to the fighting force.

The Army would immediately lose a Brigade and the equipment, PYs, etc would be transferred to the other two brigades.

2 CMBG would be my first choice but I would re-role portions of it in to a rapid reaction Regiment and keep that based in Petawawa. I would probably give it to CANSOF to manage and simply expand CSOR. They can carry the lineage of the Royal Canadian Dragoons as I Iike the idea of Parachute Dragoons 🤣. There are enough high quality candidates currently employed sweeping lines to achieve this.

We would keep an Infantry Battalion in Petawawa and a Battalion in Gagetown for some representation and for DOMOPS availability. Rest of 2CMBG gets merged with 5 CMBG and the Brigade HQ can remain in Québec.

All of the Tanks can go out West, there is a nice disused building in Wainwright that is brand spanking new, and currently the largest ball hockey rink in the CAF, which can become the new home of the Lord Strathcona's Horse. 😄

CCSB = Gone
CADTC = Moved to Gagetown and amalgamated with CTC
CMTC = Gone
5th Cdn Div = Gone
4th Cdn Div = Gone
Various Reserve HQs/Formations = Amalgamated/Gone

Many Officers would find themselves out of work and would be given severance/buy out packages.

The Air Force would see some base closures, some amalgamation of units as well. I know there are many efficiencies to be found.

Tbh, I consider the Air Force the most operationally capable and expeditionary focused element we've got, next to CANSOF at the moment. The Navy and Army are morbidly obese.

the list above is not exhaustive.... I don't have enough time today to draw a mind map 😄

The Canadian Army is something around 44000, with 20000 reservists. How you eliminate 20000 full time positions from that and keep three Bdes would be an interesting numbers game.
It would be situation no change for you and others at the coal face.

Well, other than some potential movement and growing pains. You certainly wouldn't be working in a Potemkin Unit anymore with notional strengths 😄

There would be some serious pain and trauma that would result from the chemotherapy given to the institution. Such pain and trauma is necessary to cure the disease.

There would also be a lot of sad pandas who would find themselves looking for other work. I don't mind if those sad pandas come from the near 50% of the CAF that are currently undeployable 😃

See below

Bingo @KevinB

I would do a wholesale amalgamation of Formations, HQs, Fleets, Wings across the board.

I would make equipment divestments. I would close bases and I would ruthlessly cut various headquarters in Ottawa and elsewhere.

The Navy would immediately lose 3 Halifax Class Frigates, 6 Kingston Class Patrol Vessels to cannibalization with parts, $$$, and personnel reallocated to the current fleet to keep it running until procurement catches up.

All Victoria Class Submarines would be centralized on one coast. Multiple HQs would be closed and personnel reallocated to the fighting force.

The Army would immediately lose a Brigade and the equipment, PYs, etc would be transferred to the other two brigades.

2 CMBG would be my first choice but I would re-role portions of it in to a rapid reaction Regiment and keep that based in Petawawa. I would probably give it to CANSOF to manage and simply expand CSOR. They can carry the lineage of the Royal Canadian Dragoons as I Iike the idea of Parachute Dragoons 🤣. There are enough high quality candidates currently employed sweeping lines to achieve this.

We would keep an Infantry Battalion in Petawawa and a Battalion in Gagetown for some representation and for DOMOPS availability. Rest of 2CMBG gets merged with 5 CMBG and the Brigade HQ can remain in Québec.

All of the Tanks can go out West, there is a nice disused building in Wainwright that is brand spanking new, and currently the largest ball hockey rink in the CAF, which can become the new home of the Lord Strathcona's Horse. 😄

CCSB = Gone
CMTC = Gone
5th Cdn Div = Gone
4th Cdn Div = Gone

Many Officers would find themselves out of work and would be given severance/buy out packages.

The Air Force would see some base closures, some amalgamation of units as well. I know there are many efficiencies to be found.

Tbh, I consider the Air Force the most operationally capable and expeditionary focused element we've got, next to CANSOF at the moment. The Navy and Army are morbidly obese.

the list above is not exhaustive.... I don't have enough time today to draw a mind map 😄
To the Napkin forces discussion with you

It would be situation no change for you and others at the coal face.

Well, other than some potential movement and growing pains. You certainly wouldn't be working in a Potemkin Unit anymore with notional strengths 😄

There would be some serious pain and trauma that would result from the chemotherapy given to the institution. Such pain and trauma is necessary to cure the disease.

There would also be a lot of sad pandas who would find themselves looking for other work. I don't mind if those sad pandas come from the near 50% of the CAF that are currently undeployable 😃
I think your numbers are way off on all counts. If you take 20k away from us you wouldn’t be able to flesh out your rapid reaction unit let alone anything else.

Undepoyable isn’t that same as not ready to deploy.

Or just stop paying consultants billions of dollars, stop infringing on provincial competence, stop funding ideological indoctrination in the government, etc.

There's plenty of taxpayer money to go around already, no need to steal more. Just stop wasting it.
"We are going to need to hire a consultant to study this"

I think your numbers are way off on all counts. If you take 20k away from us you wouldn’t be able to flesh out your rapid reaction unit let alone anything else.

Undepoyable isn’t that same as not ready to deploy.
The former CDS seems to think differently:

Personnel expenses are your biggest capital line item (roughly 60%) and are what you have the most control over.

If you want the fancy new gear, the money needs to come from somewhere. Many personnel are not gainfully employed at the moment.

CAF needs way less tail, way more tooth.

Screenshot_20240308_102512_Instagram.jpg

The former CDS seems to think differently:

Personnel expenses are your biggest capital line item (roughly 60%) and are what you have the most control over.

If you want the fancy new gear, the money needs to come from somewhere. Many personnel are not gainfully employed at the moment.

CAF needs way less tail, way more tooth.

View attachment 83612

Cutting tail for tooth is why we can’t process applicants, can’t train our people, and can’t fix our vehicles. Our reddest trade is Signals, we need a ton more IT and Comms people and that need is going to increase no decrease. We need people to train them. We need staff to plan that. We can’t procure because funded projects have no one, literally, working on them. We need people there.

That’s a 10 year old article, I don’t think he was right then and it was a bit hypocritical given the amount of .com’s he built in the CAF. It’s yet more wrong now. 20,000 is the entire regular army.

I am deeply suspicious of the CBC getting things so right, about national defence, and having that as the top headline on their website.

What’s also concerning and suspicious (to me) is that even the worst MND in living memory is now openly calling out his own government and the PM over defence readiness, equipment status, spending, recruitment- all of it. An epic political implosion is occurring over national defence and not even the PMO can keep a lid on it. This suggests to me that the forthcoming budget may have been pointing towards a nasty surprise for the CAF.

Cutting tail for tooth is why we can’t process applicants, can’t train our people, and can’t fix our vehicles. Our reddest trade is Signals, we need a ton more IT and Comms people and that need is going to increase no decrease. We need people to train them. We need staff to plan that. We can’t procure because funded projects have no one, literally, working on them. We need people there.

That’s a 10 year old article, I don’t think he was right then and it was a bit hypocritical given the amount of .com’s he built in the CAF. It’s yet more wrong now. 20,000 is the entire regular army.
Disagree,

I cited the article because it's as relevant today as it was when I read it then. They were also talking about the same things then.... shocker.... CAF change is measured is geological periods 😄

You can't process people because your hiring practices are a joke. You also send the worst of the worst to recruiting group. CFRG is basically a dumpster fire....

Individual Training itself is too long and the CAF has too expensive tastes for its own good. The instructor to troop ratio on courses is WAY OFF where it needs to be and I'm being generous.

One thing I think the Navy did right with the current Naval Experience program is putting new hires directly on Ships. They will learn through experience.

We train people like this in my current work place. Actual classroom work is only 6 weeks split in to 2 parts. The rest is all OJT.

I would personally have a small training cadre in every unit that manages the trainees and assign them coaches. I would also pay the coaches a bonus to make it worth their while. They would need to take some training to be coaches but PLQ should cover this.

We make our Conductors and Engineers take a coaching course and then we pay them $80.00 extra every trip they take a trainee with them. All our Locomotives have a 3rd seat built to accommodate trainees.

There are many ways to design a training program, the CAFs is but one way.

As for trades being RED... and I'm glad you mentioned SIGS. I don't think it's a coincidence that an organization with notoriously bad leadership whose school is named Canadian Forces School of Communications & Electronics (CFSCE) and also has another name.... "Common F###ing Sense Cannot Exist" is RED.

CAF trades are RED because they are undesirable, CAF trades are undesirable because they are dysfunctional, suffer from poor morale, poorly led, or combinations of all of the above.

Disagree,

I cited the article because it's as relevant today as it was when I read it then. They were also talking about the same things then.... shocker.... CAF change is measured is geological periods 😄

We agree it’s equally as valuable then as now. We disagree on its value.

You can't process people because your hiring practices are a joke. You also send the worst of the worst to recruiting group. CFRG is basically a dumpster fire....

We hire based on intakes, I’m surprised yo don’t know that. Our intakes are limited by our training establishment. Not saying there’s not efficiency to be found there but your characterization of it is way off. Similarly I disagree with worst of the worst to the recruiting group, maybe their head quarters by the actual coal face? Not true.

Individual Training itself is too long and the CAF has too expensive tastes for its own good. The instructor to troop ratio on courses is WAY OFF where it needs to be and I'm being generous.

One thing I think the Navy did right with the current Naval Experience program is putting new hires directly on Ships. They will learn through experience.

When NEP puts people to ships we shall see, I don’t know how effective it’ll be. I am completely and totally opposed to making operational units the trainers. It reduces readiness, it make progression in collective training impossible, and dilutes cohesive teams. I need people going into the combat arms that can already need their operational function point.

We train people like this in my current work place. Actual classroom work is only 6 weeks split in to 2 parts. The rest is all OJT.

Neat, I don’t see that working for us.

I would personally have a small training cadre in every unit that manages the trainees and assign them coaches. I would also pay the coaches a bonus to make it worth their while. They would need to take some training to be coaches but PLQ should cover this.

See above

We make our Conductors and Engineers take a coaching course and then we pay them $80.00 extra every trip they take a trainee with them. All our Locomotives have a 3rd seat built to accommodate trainees.

You can add space for trainees, we can’t. I won’t be adding a trainee spot in the or at for an operational platoon.

There are many ways to design a training program, the CAFs is but one way.

Agreed, but I see our requirements for someone arriving at work far more inline with the RCMP and CN Rail.

As for trades being RED... and I'm glad you mentioned SIGS. I don't think it's a coincidence that an organization with notoriously bad leadership whose school is named Canadian Forces School of Communications & Electronics (CFSCE) and also has another name.... "Common F###ing Sense Cannot Exist" is RED.

CAF trades are RED because they are undesirable, CAF trades are undesirable because they are dysfunctional, suffer from poor morale, poorly led, or combinations of all of the above.

We agree here.

Frankly our tail is fat, yes, but its also in about ten different knots making it impossible to function correctly. We need our processes to be stream lined, red tape cut, and people enabled to do their jobs without being reviewed by 4 levels of command. We had thousands of PR candidates apply by couldn't get a single one in uniform because of delays. Heck I had my appointment for a new ID card back in september and I still haven't gotten it. How is any of this even remotely acceptable? if this were a private business a new person would be fired every week.

Frankly our tail is fat, yes, but its also in about ten different knots making it impossible to function correctly. We need our processes to be stream lined, red tape cut, and people enabled to do their jobs without being reviewed by 4 levels of command. We had thousands of PR candidates apply by couldn't get a single one in uniform because of delays. Heck I had my appointment for a new ID card back in september and I still haven't gotten it. How is any of this even remotely acceptable? if this were a private business a new person would be fired every week.
That’s because we have one guy doing ID cards nationally. We need more people doing that not less. I agree we have assume dysfunctions, but we are running into problems because we are lacking enough people in those support functions.

2 days ago, I was told by a Bgen that stating obvious problems was showing bad attitude, we need to have a positive mind set…. The issues is more then money.
Met a few like that, Col's and BGen. Mostly PRes. That's how they get ahead. That's how they "acquire" OMM/CMM.
Bet he was a PRes.

See below

Bingo @KevinB

CCSB = Gone
CMTC = Gone
5th Cdn Div = Gone
4th Cdn Div = Gone

Air movements and LRP are ridiculously busy and don't get the recognition they deserve.

For the Navy in waist lines maybe... But We defiantly aren't floating in people, mean while our government issued to do list keeps growing.

I don't think we need a regular force Army, beyond some SOF, so I'm probably too biased to comment on them.

*Side note, NEPs don't go direct to ships. But the ones I am at sea with right now seem to be loving it; and every one of them wants to sign on after the year, until we started hitting these heavy seas today. Now a few of them are taking naps lol

That’s because we have one guy doing ID cards nationally. We need more people doing that not less. I agree we have assume dysfunctions, but we are running into problems because we are lacking enough people in those support functions.
administrative jobs we can outsource to civi's to free up PYs for other duties. I agree we do not have enough people in the right places.

I am completely and totally opposed to making operational units the trainers.
Are not operational units doing training all the time to maintain operational status?

Would you be uncomfortable with an established Training Coy or Pl+ in an operational unit?

Never said it would operate like one. The CAF seems to take all the wrong lessons from Organizational Behaviors, Business Schools, etc though.

Ammunition wouldn't be JIT in my business, that would be like saying fuel or parts for cars should be delivered JIT. Ammunition is a consumable and should be treated as such.

One of the problems with the CAF is what they allocate their funds towards:

The CAF is too large for its funding envelope and it has too many layers of superfluous bureaucracy. To be frank, they need to make deep cuts to their management structure, divest excess infrastructure and antiquated equipment which is becoming increasingly expensive to operate and reinvest in leaner and meaner Military.

I think @daftandbarmy hit the nail on the head with their comment on "Happy Talk vs Hard Talk".

Current CAF Culture is a large part of the problem and if I had to assess the Leadership style and current institutional trends, it would probably straddle between Avoider/Accommodator on the chart below:

leadership_styles.jpg

This isn't to say there aren't strong individual leaders as there most certainly are. I don't believe the institution cultivates a strong leadership culture and it certainly doesn't value getting things done.

Sad fall from grace for an organization that used to pride itself on its ability to develop leaders.

I agree with this, the problem is the CAF does neither JIT or Stockpiling, and if it does, it does it poorly. The truth is no business that wants to be successful does purely JIT logistics.

We are selective on what we use JIT for. We use it for Locomotives because it makes no sense to have more Locomotives running than you actually need to run your operation. These are $million+ dollar assets and having a bunch sit idle burning fuel as an added expense line is bad business.

We do keep a small Reserve for emergencies but we keep 95% of them constantly moving. As such, we have a robust maintenance and inspection cycle to keep them operational with information that is fed in real-time to our fleet management team.

One of my Locomotives broke last week. It was lifted within 12 hours and sent to the Shops for repair within 6 hours and I had a replacement 2 days later that traveled halfway across the Country to get to me.

Car parts are something that we do keep a large stock of. Bearings, hoses, valves, knuckles, etc will break from wear and tear frequently and we generally have them repaired within a day to keep product moving to customers. This is easy to maintain because we use common & standardized parts for all our cars that are interchangeable, no matter the car or commodity being transported.

Our problem is we dont seem to do any Logistics strategic planning. Its not cool enough for that kind of attention. Instead us behind the curtains people keep propping up this institution.

I recently heard a GO/FO Log O, in person, tell me its time we start letting things fail... I was shocked...

Back