• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

Dispersed BMQ serials are already a thing, and there is
I'm not sure if you were around back in the early-mid '00s, but the CAF tried the "bring them all in, then sort the rest out" thing back then. It resulted in massive holding platoons at bases all over the country, which resulted in lots of trouble being caused by bored troops. Many of those bored troops went on to resent the CAF, and the wasted time they spent. It also costs a lot of money, because once someone is in, it's hard to get rid of them when they turn out to not be suited to the job.

I'm sure the system can be improved, but I don't think that is the route to take.

Yup when they removed the Fitness test for reg force. Warrior platoon was born at CFLRS ( trust me. There were no warrior recruit on it) which then because RFT Coy and PRETC rear it’s ugly head in…Borden?

Agreed ; let’s not try that experiment again.

Because they are fairly new to Canada, I can understand the security screening taking longer. Can't just let the automated CSIS process do its thing.

But 2 years is absurd. 2 years to get a few hundred people into uniform & starting their journey?

Agreed...no wonder we have issues...

After the basic checks are done, have the applicants swear their path all together, not individually.

Have friends & family there to clap, and staff from around the building attend if they can spare 5 minutes. The energy & positivity would be a great way to start a new career!

Have them draw kit, and start reporting to a unit while they wait for BMQ so they can be slightly less new once the course starts.

*And don't make everybody go to St. Jean! F**k that place! Run BMQ serials at Wainwright, Meaford, have local reserve units run 1 or 2 throughout the year for the are. And use St. Jean as well, just don't solely rely on it.

When their enhanced check comes back, more options will available to them.

Every summer, across Canada, wildfire management organizations hire thousands of young people - men and women - who go on to do a pretty good job under stressful conditions in the field.

Maybe we should copy them? e.g.,

Yup when they removed the Fitness test for reg force. Warrior platoon was born at CFLRS ( trust me. There were no warrior recruit on it) which then because RFT Coy and PRETC rear it’s ugly head in…Borden?

Agreed ; let’s not try that experiment again.
I thought it was called ‘fat camp’? Was that a fake name?

Dispersed BMQ serials are already a thing, and there is no plan to stop running them.

I'm not sure if you were around back in the early-mid '00s, but the CAF tried the "bring them all in, then sort the rest out" thing back then. It resulted in massive holding platoons at bases all over the country, which resulted in lots of trouble being caused by bored troops. Many of those bored troops went on to resent the CAF, and the wasted time they spent. It also costs a lot of money, because once someone is in, it's hard to get rid of them when they turn out to not be suited to the job.

I'm sure the system can be improved, but I don't think that is the route to take.
Wait, so the Navy's plan to bring in more recruits, push them through the NETP after basic, then sit around waiting for their QL3 won't be a booming success?

It's cool, they'll just go on masse to the empty bunks on ships trying to figure out how to keep things going with a skeleton crew, what could go wrong?

Unofficially; the ones I said were the CFLRS ones. 🙂

Recruit Fitness Training was abbreviated to RFT. That had a few nicknames like “Ready For Turkey!” etc at the School.

I was on Week 4 when that program stood up. It was embarrassing to watch.

Having done the enrollment PT test prior to swearing in, I made sure I was fit as hell walking through that green door. Some of the gents that were on RFT were easily 300-350 lbs and got winded in the meal line.

I honestly can't comprehend how much money was wasted trying to squeeze the square pegs into a round hole.

I wonder how many are coming in with skills the CAF desperately needs? Like air crews, pilots, marine engineers, etc...feel like we would want to fast track those individuals. Maybe even offer expedited citizenship for those that serve?

Wait, so the Navy's plan to bring in more recruits, push them through the NETP after basic, then sit around waiting for their QL3 won't be a booming success?

It's cool, they'll just go on masse to the empty bunks on ships trying to figure out how to keep things going with a skeleton crew, what could go wrong?
In fairness to the RCN, it might be a great way to fill the watch and station bill. You don't need to be trade qualified to be on an attack team, or stand lookout on the bridge wings. It would free qualified people to do their real jobs, and give the trainees something "real" to do while waiting.

I wonder how many are coming in with skills the CAF desperately needs? Like air crews, pilots, marine engineers, etc...feel like we would want to fast track those individuals. Maybe even offer expedited citizenship for those that serve?
Skilled applicants are handled a bit differently. However, there are still challenges: Access to some foreign-procured equipment and supporting documents, for example, are restricted for some foreign nationals, precluding their employment in areas where such access is needed.

Citizenship law is outside DND/CAF's mandate, although MND can engage her cabinet colleagues on such things.

In fairness to the RCN, it might be a great way to fill the watch and station bill. You don't need to be trade qualified to be on an attack team, or stand lookout on the bridge wings. It would free qualified people to do their real jobs, and give the trainees something "real" to do while waiting.
Sure, and we've done stuff like that with the officer phase 4 course, but included course staff to handle the admin and basic supervision. But was 2 Lt(N)s to supervise/run the training for the SLts with SS support, with the ship running around 80% of max capacity.

Small number of NETP only is great, and you can start doing OJT for them to prepare for their QL3 when you have time.

They are talking about huge numbers that would outnumber most departments, on ships where they are at 50% capacity to start with; that's the unworkable part.

I'm a huge proponent of OJT and having trainees on board, but it requires a lot more work and supervision, and is doomed to fail if that's not part of the plan.

Tieing a few ships up and turning them into a training fleet would make more sense, but we want to do even more with even less, then act like surprised pikachus when people burn out and quit when they decide they don't like it and get out.

Sure, and we've done stuff like that with the officer phase 4 course, but included course staff to handle the admin and basic supervision. But was 2 Lt(N)s to supervise/run the training for the SLts with SS support, with the ship running around 80% of max capacity.

Small number of NETP only is great, and you can start doing OJT for them to prepare for their QL3 when you have time.

They are talking about huge numbers that would outnumber most departments, on ships where they are at 50% capacity to start with; that's the unworkable part.

I'm a huge proponent of OJT and having trainees on board, but it requires a lot more work and supervision, and is doomed to fail if that's not part of the plan.

Tieing a few ships up and turning them into a training fleet would make more sense, but we want to do even more with even less, then act like surprised pikachus when people burn out and quit when they decide they don't like it and get out.
The RCN just needs to be more imaginative... Send a crusty Met Tech PO1 to the coast to wrangle NETP trainees on a ship headed to Hawaii... ;)

BMQ at St Jean is rumoured to be so watered down, I can't see why getting masses of recruits thru "even-more-Basic-Training" is an issue.

I agree with removing BMQ a "common to all"; let the environmental command run their own Recruit/Basic/Depot. Distributed BMQs were/are already being run; Camp Aldershot NS is home to RCAF BMQs.
Delete

BMQ at St Jean is rumoured to be so watered down, I can't see why getting masses of recruits thru "even-more-Basic-Training" is an issue.

I agree with removing BMQ a "common to all"; let the environmental command run their own Recruit/Basic/Depot. Distributed BMQs were/are already being run; Camp Aldershot NS is home to RCAF BMQs.
Isn’t more recruit schools going to require significantly more staff? We’re then taking additional qualified people off the line to bring in unqualified people.

Isn’t more recruit schools going to require significantly more staff? We’re then taking additional qualified people off the line to bring in unqualified people.
The math is pretty easy. Assuming you can get them in the door, more recruits mean more instructors are needed. Put that in the plan.

The solution isn't that complex either. Make every reconstituting battalion/regiment etc an individual training unit for the entire year with no other duties. Have them take recruits off the street and run them through to full DP1 and more during that year.

Then the next year get back to unit training on the road to high readiness.

🍻

Every summer, across Canada, wildfire management organizations hire thousands of young people - men and women - who go on to do a pretty good job under stressful conditions in the field.

Maybe we should copy them? e.g.,

Big advantages they have:

1. They pay WAY better, including bags of OT when on operations.

2. They’re unionized. See OT above.

3. They’re not military. No beasting, no chickenshit (or smaller amounts). Just show up on time and be prepared to work hard.

unfortunately we are trying to rebuild AND be operationally ready at the same time when the CAF as a whole is combat ineffective, we need to step back and for a year just train, train and train people at the schools and nothing more. You will then get thousands of troops in OJT bringing our capabilities back up, and a year and a half later they will be completing their 5s. then we can get back to business, but when we have PAT battalions because the schools are not at max throughput, we need to change. F2025 is suppose to prioritize manning the schools, but the schools need more capacity too.

The math is pretty easy. Assuming you can get them in the door, more recruits mean more instructors are needed. Put that in the plan.

The solution isn't that complex either. Make every reconstituting battalion/regiment etc an individual training unit for the entire year with no other duties. Have them take recruits off the street and run them through to full DP1 and more during that year.

Then the next year get back to unit training on the road to high readiness.

🍻
There is a plan to try BMQ/DP1 for Infantry, but for many other occupations that doesn't work.

There aren't battalions of mechanics, clerks, or Met Techs that can rotate through a system like that.

There is a plan to try BMQ/DP1 for Infantry, but for many other occupations that doesn't work.

There aren't battalions of mechanics, clerks, or Met Techs that can rotate through a system like that.

Especially trades that require training anywhere close to industry standards, specifically the technical trades we're bleeding out the middle that we desperately need to fill.

I would have to crunch the numbers, but something tells me the turn around in an infantry battalion is far lower than on the flight line, tech shops, and MSE Divs. Especially in folks that are already trained and are seeing how much more even a PS equivalent job pays.

Toss another task on those folks and it will be the straw that collapses the camel corpse ( the back was broken decades ago).

Especially trades that require training anywhere close to industry standards, specifically the technical trades we're bleeding out the middle that we desperately need to fill.

I would have to crunch the numbers, but something tells me the turn around in an infantry battalion is far lower than on the flight line, tech shops, and MSE Divs. Especially in folks that are already trained and are seeing how much more even a PS equivalent job pays.

Toss another task on those folks and it will be the straw that collapses the camel corpse ( the back was broken decades ago).
Have you heard of the CAF offer? Based on the brief I received yesterday we should all be more appreciative of all that we get from the CAF compared to the PS.... Pay isn't everything don't 'cha know.

After hearing what the "way forward" is yesterday, I question why I bother sticking around now, and don't just jump to something with less BS, and less/equal pay.

Back