• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

Having seen the efforts my two daughters go to for dressing up to be part of a group/look, particularly the gothy/grungy look, there is nothing causal about it and there is much detailing going on that creates signals to the group about status, confidence, knowledge that us mere mortal men would not understand. So what I will say is that most of the alternate look is the current human version of being a male peacock.

Apparently someone intends to show up with purple hair on 6 Sep. I'm betting on who it is, but I'll wait until it happens and report back.

This was one of those I couldn't actually believe the person was serious. Vikings is a fun show, and interesting set of myths, but it's not actually a specific mono culture or a recognized religion.

They also freely raped, pillaged, murdered and enslaved their enemies, so hardly fits with CAF ethos.

Someone claiming Jedi would actually make more sense, as that's at least well defined. It would still be BS, but still.

I'd be more inclinded to stick them on a wooden sailboat as well and wish them the best of luck against Russia (or whoever). Don't do it halfassed, get out the oars!
Jedi - yes.

👍🏻👍🏻

This was one of those I couldn't actually believe the person was serious. Vikings is a fun show, and interesting set of myths, but it's not actually a specific mono culture or a recognized religion.

They also freely raped, pillaged, murdered and enslaved their enemies, so hardly fits with CAF ethos.

Someone claiming Jedi would actually make more sense, as that's at least well defined. It would still be BS, but still.

I'd be more inclinded to stick them on a wooden sailboat as well and wish them the best of luck against Russia (or whoever). Don't do it halfassed, get out the oars!
If they are telling you their religion is “Viking” they’re full of shite. Norse/Germanic Paganism might be more accurate, but I don’t know how well it survived after not being practised for 1000 years.

I fully expect all sorts of stuff sept 6th. I will likely be sporting a goatee.

While I've appreciated the whole beard thing...I really only do it because I was sick of shaving daily after 3 decades of it.

I always did a "Holiday goatee"...less itchy and all that.

If they are telling you their religion is “Viking” they’re full of shite. Norse/Germanic Paganism might be more accurate, but I don’t know how well it survived after not being practised for 1000 years.
It hasn’t. The stuff practiced today, much like Wiccan and Neo Druidism is all mostly made up and inspired by what they “think” pre Christian religions did and practiced. Neo Paganism is a relatively new set of belief systems that don’t have much history to really link them to anything thought of as “ancient”.

It hasn’t. The stuff practiced today, much like Wiccan and Neo Druidism is all mostly made up and inspired by what they “think” pre Christian religions did and practiced. Neo Paganism is a relatively new set of belief systems that don’t have much history to really link them to anything thought of as “ancient”.

Hardly like we can go around tossing out some religious beliefs because they're "all mostly made up" without realistically tossing them all out.

New belief systems are not more or less valid than ancient ones.

Hardly like we can go around tossing out some religious beliefs because they're "all mostly made up" without realistically tossing them all out.

New belief systems are not more or less valid than ancient ones.
I’m fine with tossing them all out.

But, new beliefs that pretend to be something they can’t possibly be are in my mind ridiculous. There are recognized religions and there are…other stuff. Jedis, Scientologists and neo Vikings are in that bag of other stuff as far as I’m concerned.

I’m fine with tossing them all out.

But, new beliefs that pretend to be something they can’t possibly be are in my mind ridiculous. There are recognized religions and there are…other stuff. Jedis, Scientologists and neo Vikings are in that bag of other stuff as far as I’m concerned.
I'm also fine with tossing them all out.

If:
1. We are agreeing that all religion are made up; and
2. We are going to tolerate people's religious beliefs; then
3. Someone could make up a completely new religion tomorrow, and as long as they convincingly express that it's tenets are their genuine spiritual belief, then who are we to deny them the right to practice it?

It would seem to be very hypocritical to say "I believe whole basis for wearing turbans is total bull s*, but they've been doing it for a long time, so they can do it. However, Norse paganism in general, and your belief in its tenants in particular, are both new things, so you can't practice your belief and have a pony tail, despite the fact that I also think it's just a bunch of bull s*."

Let them worship what they want as long as it doesn’t interfere with operational effectiveness and training.

Does it really matter if eight members of an infantry section worship 4 different gods? Or none at all? As long as they aren’t sacrificing living things ….

If:
3. Someone could make up a completely new religion tomorrow, and as long as they convincingly express that it's tenets are their genuine spiritual belief, then who are we to deny them the right to practice it?

It would seem to be very hypocritical to say "I believe whole basis for wearing turbans is total bull s*, but they've been doing it for a long time, so they can do it. However, Norse paganism in general, and your belief in its tenants in particular, are both new things, so you can't practice your belief and have a pony tail, despite the fact that I also think it's just a bunch of bull s*."
All fine points.

Especially number 3. Genuine. Most people suddenly finding some obscure religion out of convenience to either avoid something or gain advantage.

I’m sure now that beards can be grown to any length that our number of declared Thorists will drop significantly. Or that the number of anti vaxxers who all of a sudden found a religion that gives them an exemption will stop finding whatever new god they had somehow turned to with mandates lifted Etc etc.

I have no issues with legit beliefs or faith. It’s the people that suddenly found whatever god or gods so they can do whatever superficial thing they wanted to do because they didn’t like the rules.

This new dress reg at least removes that part of the equation and at least won’t make liars out of troops.

If:

I don't really care what they believe and they can practice however they want, my objection was the RCN creating a religious exemption for wearing a beard with SCBA for firefighting that is specifally against the higher order CAF policy (run by ADM(IE).)

They want to give someone a religious exemption for wearing a beard, fill their boots, they just can't ignore CAF safety regulations and issue orders that are counter to them. There are very good reasons, proven by practical field studies that demonstrate the requirement to be clean shaven with an SCBA, so if they want to do that, basically they are taking that person off duty watches and sticking them in a corner during emergencies.

If:

And this is why I like the new dress instructions, as it largely bypasses the issue (a rather minor issue all things considered of course) of people adopting religions on order to wear their hair the way they want by simply allowing everything that any religious accommodation might be granted for for everyone.

No need to bother with validating sincerity of beliefs and deal with accommodations if it's just allowed outright.

Back